Flight jacket with blues

Guest patsng

Guest patsng

Hello, this is my first post in this board. My name is Pat and I am currently enrolled in AFROTC after coming off 4 years of Active Duty as a C-130 Loadmaster. I have a question about wearing a leather flight jacket with blues. (assuming I get a new nametag and an AETC patch.) I couldn't find any reference to this topic in the AFROTCI 36-2008.

Another question is, is it authorized for me to wear my enlisted aircrew wings with my blues.

Thanks for any help you give, this board and website is awesome.

Best Wishes,

-Pat

Originally posted by patsng:

Another question is, is it authorized for me to wear my enlisted aircrew wings with my blues.

-Pat

Unfortunately, no. I was also enlisted aircrew and am in my 3rd year in AFROTC. I knew ahead of time that the reg. said I couldn't, but at first I did it anyway because my PAS was 1)a former Herk pilot, so liked the fact that I was prior aircrew, and 2) unaware of the reg. regarding the wear of enlisted badges. Until, of course, the Det. had a big inspection and he learned I wasn't supposed to be wearing them, end of story.

Moral: Technically, no, you can't wear them, but if none of the Cadre say anything about it, why not?

I don't know about regs, but I can tell you from a fighter perspective that you should stash your jacket until you've got some rated wings. In our world, you don't get the leather jacket until you're mission qualified. If you were to show up at UPT (or ROTC with a DET/CC who was a former pilot) you'd get your a$$ handed to you for wearing that jacket - I think it would be perceived as cocky.

Guest Thriller

I agree with Toro on this one. I wouldn't even show up to UPT wearing a leather flight jacket.

Yes, you earned your enlisted aircrew wings as well as any strips or ribbons (and you should be damn proud of those). However, now you are a cadet...an officer-to-be and almost everything you did on AD is now history. What you can bring to the table is experience and willingness to teach and be taught.

I suggest stashing your Leather away for a few years. You'll be wearing Wings soon enough!

Peace,

THRILLER

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by patsng:

I have a question about wearing a leather flight jacket with blues. (assuming I get a new nametag and an AETC patch.)

I've not spent as much time in AETC as some of the guys here but I would say you would be just fine wearing your leather jacket with your blues. I'm sure you were a mission ready crew member in the C-130 so you obviously earned it.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if I saw you wearing it. In fact, I think a leather jacket is the only thing that makes the blues look a little less gay (but still gay).

I say you earned the right to wear it, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dkorzun

Riddler, Sorry to revisit the enlisted aircrew /leather jackett/wings thing. You'll have to make your own call on that. Yes, you earned it..but currently, you're a cadet, and will be an officer upon graduation, not Enlisted. Normally you would wear the wings of the highest aeronautical rating you posses, though you are allowed to wear the wings of all aeronautical ratings earned, i.e. nav, pilot, etc. Wearing enlisted aircrew wings on an officer's uniform would look strange, and cause you to be singled out. I can tell you that you're gonna catch a big pile of s*** from the FAIP Mafia if you wear them, both for the jacket and for the wings. 2nd, you may catch some from those who didn't have more than one other person in the cockpit (betty doesn't make 3).I've seen FAIPS try to call out a fixed-wing qual guy who was wearing his rightfully earned wings, and I've seen Nav's catch it too. Part of the problem is the FAIP; he ain't been there or done that, he's been stuck in Del Rio, Enid, or Columbus and has yet to enjoy tent life in Oman, Saudi, Iraq, Diego, or the other wonderful places we've gone to spend our "summer vacation". On the Other hand, the FAIPs are the 2nd hardest working people at any given SUPT base, and are, to a certain degree, under-appreciated. The hardest working person in SUPT should be .you. Final answer - don't wear them (leather jacketor wings) until you get your new ones. Me personally, I'd hand the jacket in the closet until assignment night, then pack it in something to take with you. have a new name tag made up with you new wings, and the MAJCOM patch, and after you get your wings, put the jacket on.,

Originally posted by The Anteater:

I can tell you that you're gonna catch a big pile of s*** from the FAIP Mafia if you wear them, both for the jacket and for the wings.

As a former FAIP, I say tell the FAIPs to eat a giant bowl of d!ck if they give you any crap. As a FAIP, I was issued a leather jacket by our know-nothing secretary. Fortunately, I didn't really like it so I didn't wear it, but at the time I had no idea that the jacket was only for CMR dudes.

My two cents - wear the wings, don't wear the jacket. We had former Navs/WSOs come through all the time wearing their wings. I never saw anybody wearing a jacket.

Part of the problem is the FAIP; he ain't been there or done that, he's been stuck in Del Rio, Enid, or Columbus and has yet to enjoy tent life in Oman, Saudi, Iraq, Diego, or the other wonderful places we've gone to spend our "summer vacation". On the Other hand, the FAIPs are the 2nd hardest working people at any given SUPT base, and are, to a certain degree, under-appreciated.
Shack and shack.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if you can wear the green nomex jacket with blues? I know that in the dress reg it says that you can wear it with the service uniform. Just want to make sure.

D

Originally posted by doug76:

Anyone know if you can wear the green nomex jacket with blues? I know that in the dress reg it says that you can wear it with the service uniform. Just want to make sure.

D

What, you don't have another jacket?

You'll end up looking like a LtCol I knew at McGuire who always wore his old parka with his blues. Good guy, but strange...

Any KC-10 duders know who I'm talking about? No names, please...

Young Crow,

I am at McGuire now but have no idea who you are talking about. Then again they have me tucked neatly away in my corner at Boeing clicky my CBT slides away all day long...

I will be sure to keep an eye out for this guy once I am set free. Sounds rather amusing if you ask me!!

Guest lovelacm

Screw it... I'd wear the A-2.. if someone wants to bust your balls THAT badly, they'll do it no matter what.

Be warm and (relatively.. you are in blues) comfortable.

Cheers!

Linda

Originally posted by doug76:

D

Where in 36-2903 does it say you can wear your nomex jacket with your service uniform? it says you can wear your A-2. I don't recall seeing any guidance about how to wear any nomex uniform other than that you can wear your A-2 with your flight suit.

From 36-2903

Authorized Individuals: Leather A-2 flying jacket with flight suit, hospital whites, or service uniforms (not service dress uniform). Do not wear with civilian clothes. Attach MAJCOM patch and name tag with velcro. Name tag is 2 x 4 inches, brown or black leather, simulated leather. Emboss with wings, first and last name, rank, and USAF. Members may add an inside pocket, at their expense, when it does not detract from the external appearance. The Wing and Star patch maybe worn by individuals not assigned to a MAJCOM. Issue brown leather flying

gloves may be worn.

doug,

I just got my new leather jacket name tag last week after a year of waiting for it. My old ones had the wrong wings. Nobody will notice.

Just try to not stop and talk to any Cols outside who you don't know who will be forced to read your nametag and then look at your hat.

You can always order a name tag for your leather jacket at www.mardonco.com Only takes a week or so to get to you.

Another option is to get a cold wx blues coat from clothing sales.

...and I've never seen anyone wear a green nomex jacket with their blues. Pretty sure that is a no. Check your bases' local Sup to 36-2903

[ 17. November 2005, 20:54: Message edited by: Mambo ]

Originally posted by Mambo:

...and I've never seen anyone wear a green nomex jacket with their blues. Pretty sure that is a no. Check your bases' local Sup to 36-2903

I'm pretty sure that's true...nomex+blues=bad.

parka+blues=OK if it's cold out. Offutt let folks wear them in the winter. Some people would be wearing them into April, and they looked like tools.

billyfernando.jpg And remember, it's not how you feel, it's how you look...

(Most of you kids won't know who that guy is, but some of the more seasoned folks may remember)

[ 17. November 2005, 21:00: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

What if you're still in training and don't have the leather? We're not in blues that much here at P'cola, but you never know around here.

I've seen guys around the base wearing nomex and leather with civillian clothes, is this a Navy thing?

Hate to ask noob questions, but 2903 is about as clear as mud and there's not very many places to go and ask AF specific questions around here.

Originally posted by JReyn:

What if you're still in training and don't have the leather? We're not in blues that much here at P'cola, but you never know around here.

You'll either have to wear your nomex jacket over a flight suit or go buy the short blue coat for your blues.