Military Rotator...

Guest Bender

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by Swingin:

No one was ever debating the workings of the international dateline. Why you even thought it germane to this topic, I'll never know. Other than being a little confusing, the IDL has no impact or bearing on jetlag or time-enroute. You argued that his flight took 24:45 (2000I to 2045I the next day) and that it was because of the dateline. Both those times are INDIA or Japan Standard Time. If you need to cling to your dateline knowledge to understand an 8-hour timezone change, feel free to do whatever works.

Guest KoolKat

I believe it's a 14 hour time change, not 11, not 8.

"not arguing here" :D

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to call them on Monday and figure out when the damn thing lands 'cause Herk28 is right. The numbers just don't work.

I spent a few hours & a few pieces of sctrach paper trying to wrap my head around how the numbers work, but what the SATO guy said just simply have to be a mistake.

BENDY

Guest Hydro130

Bender,

When you get to YOK, make sure the Kanto Lodge puts you up at the main building. I got put in one of the satellite buildings when I first arrived. The main building is the best and most convenient.

Cheers, Hydro

Guest KoolKat

kenblankenship is making my arrangements. Hopefully he'll hook me up with the main building.

I can sleep just about anywhere. He'll hook me up if I need to get anywhere until I can get to the car lot.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully ken reads it. I think he already made my reservation though.

I'll ask the desk when I get there if I can switch if it didn't happen yet. Thanks.

Gotta go see if I can find Plash at the bar.

BENDY

EDIT: Found him, he was easy to spot. The big ugly guy in the preppy polo shirt! Check.

[ 04. June 2006, 02:09: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest KoolKat

Leaving for the airport in an hour. Stand by OFFICAL timeline. I tried to call the AMC to straighten it out, but the damn hajiis and their f_cking SAMs make it far to stupid to tell someone ofver the phone when the aircraft depart/arrive.

They told me to call the day before & confirm that there were no changes, and that's what I got. "Sir, there are no changes to your travel itinerary. I cannot discuss the specifics of your travel arrangements until you arrive at the check-in desk."

Ummm...ok. Don't make me have to call you back SATO guy. I'm gonna be pretty pissed if you f_cked my shit up and I have to straighten it out myself. Please tell me someone did their job by themselves. Please.

Anyhoo, gotta go have a beer before I leave. You guys behave while I'm gone. I ask that the mods leave all pissing matches & mom jokes in tact until I can get back to read them. Thank you muchly. :D

BENDY

Originally posted by EvilEagle:

Yep, standard rotator from Baltimore to Mildenhall. Used to stop at the Lages on the way home, but I've heard they may be cancelling it. It was great if you are into crying babies and dogs! But, it was MUCH less asspain than flying into London -- that is painful!

• 1 month later...
Guest KoolKat

I totally forgot all about this.

Depart SEA: 0430L (5th)

10 hour flight

16 hour time change

Arive JTY: 0630L (6th edit: ummm or was it the 7th? damn it!)

Do the math yourself.

Japan is nice, BTW.

BENDY

[ 24. July 2006, 07:02: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest Bullmastiff

I cant even see the word," rotator" without the hair on my back standing up. The rotators to OSW/PSAB were amont the worst times of my life..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Three questions.

1. For those that have flown back to BWI on the rotator lately, how long did it take to get through customs and get your bags to take to check in for a commercial flight?

2. Would it be tough to make a 0930 commercial flight if the rotator gets in around 0615?

3. Is flying in desert flight suits that big of a no-no? Due to the short connection time I will be rushing around and might not have time to get clothes out of my suitcase when I land, find a place to change etc. I can't remember ever seeing people flying commercial in tans but was thinking I might have a good excuse of spending the last 5 months in the desert if anyone asked me.

Thanks!

Three questions.

1. For those that have flown back to BWI on the rotator lately, how long did it take to get through customs and get your bags to take to check in for a commercial flight?

2. Would it be tough to make a 0930 commercial flight if the rotator gets in around 0615?

3. Is flying in desert flight suits that big of a no-no? Due to the short connection time I will be rushing around and might not have time to get clothes out of my suitcase when I land, find a place to change etc. I can't remember ever seeing people flying commercial in tans but was thinking I might have a good excuse of spending the last 5 months in the desert if anyone asked me.

Thanks!

1. Took me 46 hours and 23 minutes last time because we had to go the long way and crossed the IDL.

2. Not if they are on different days

3. Depends... are you in the desert? A few years ago they invented this thing called a carry-on bag. It is a small bag you actually carry on the airplane with you (weird, I know). Well, in this bag you can put clothes; those clothes can then later be used to change into while you wait for your checked baggage. It also comes in handy if you crash or divert.

ADDED: I also put food, smokes, and road beers in the carry-on.

Edited by Butters
  • Downvote 1

big negatory on wearing DFDU on commercial planes. Pretty sure you can wear civies on the rotator tho. You can change into them upon getting to the pax terminal. Or change when you landing at your next gas stop.

Cool story. I'm actually at the end of my 72 hour bag after three days of trying to get out of here. I haven't seen my checked bags since Tuesday.

If you have them and can access them, I'm pretty sure I read in the new 2903 that ABUs are approved on commercial flights now. Check with your nearest enlisted member for details.

Three questions.

Thanks!

You can make it, but rotators are generally less reliable/on time as a standard carrier... I think I had a similar time frame and had plenty of time. And you will have access to all your luggage and time to change if you want.

I did it (desert flt bag all the way home, for many different reasons), I just made sure it was just my family when I showed up... But yes, it is a big no no.

Both times I took the rotator it landed late at BWI, one was 30 hours and the other 5 hours late.

And I've seen lots of people coming back wear the multicam on their follow on flight but not the bag.

I did it (desert flt bag all the way home, for many different reasons), I just made sure it was just my family when I showed up... But yes, it is a big no no.

And you didn't have any busybody off duty E-9s chase you through the terminal?

Hint for the rotator out of the Died:

If you're on a 747 demand they seat you in row 30 or lower. That's business and first class. Except for DVs they shoved all the redeployers in back so civilians, kids and space-a filled in the nice seats at subsequent stops while we (including a couple guys on crutches) all were riding the cattle cart. The stewardesses were sympathetic but said once AMC have them the manifest they couldn't change seats around.

I guess I'm a bit lost....what's the big deal about wearing a bag on the civilian flight home? If you have time to change, do it. If its the difference between you making the flight or not, and they force you to be in uniform on the rotator, you can bet I'd be on that flight home in my bag 10 out of 10 times.

Went through today. Customs only took about 20 minutes. The rotator had been delayed so much and they didn't tell us when we boarded at the Deid that our expected two hour ground time in Germany turned into an 8 hour delay!!! Everyone had to change their commercial flights. I made it to the gate with about 20 minutes to spare and changed into sweatpants and a t shirt. I was on the World airways MD11 and it was open seating.