New tracks out of P-Cola

FireMission

I'm going to be pretty pissed if I busted my ass at Randolph to try and get a good shot at a C-130 to Hurlburt only to have that option taken away 1 month before our aircraft drop.

If they are going to pigeonhole us into one or two (undesireable in my opinion) airframes through Randolph then what's the point in trying to excel. "Excellence in all we do" only takes you so far; there's got to be at least the possibility for a reward at the end of the tunnel.

the fewer options they give navs the less effort they will put into trying to get their airframe...

I don't know what all drops at randolph, but here's a list of the ones that come to mind:

B52

AWACS

C130 variants (except J)

KC135

JSTARS

RC135

not sure about the C-5...

If the B52 and AC130 is taken from randolph, then PCola will get all the "tip of the spear" platforms.

I thought I read somewhere that eventually the airborne laser thing was going to have a nav...but it might be a while before that happens...

Careful Mark - you'll get lynched for actually expressing a desire to fly a certain type of airframe...
I know, I've been here long enough to see it and most of the time I agree with the lynchmob. I know I'm just another asset to the AF and they will put me where they need me, which I don't disagree with. I'm not going to kill myself if I don't get my number one choice.

At the same time when your choices are to go burn holes in the sky in a 707 on one hand and...well, go burn holes in the sky in a 707 on the other hand it doesn't leave much to strive for.

I heard about this a few days ago but as of yet nobody seems to know if Randolph will still drop B-52s and ACs alongside Pensacola.

Guest a_uhan23

Chuck-

A little correction. KC-135's still have Navs for the Special Ops mission. There are anywhere from three to eight in a squadron here at McConnell. I have deployed with many of them. The current Nav pipeline does not go through Altus anymore, either; they bring their happy ass straight up to McConnell. The Pacer Crag-now the Block 40 upgrade-has tried to nix the nav, but they play a very critical role in Spec Ops stuff. If you do SOL II the gal or guy you talk with before the boom has a probability of 99.69% being a nav.

Just a little edmucation for y'all. Seacrest out.

[ 09. February 2006, 23:06: Message edited by: mmmm...free goo ]

Guest a_uhan23
Originally posted by Mark1:

At the same time when your choices are to go burn holes in the sky in a 707 on one hand and...well, go burn holes in the sky in a 707 on the other hand it doesn't leave much to strive for.

Somebody has to read mags/sleep/dip/play video games/generally f'around all the time. The navs do all the Spec Ops shiat in the 135 (see earlier post) and the a lot of the receiver planning. It is not blowning up stuff, but it is better than *yawn* truly drilling holes in the sky (see WACKERS). Seacrest out again.

I don't know anything, but I would guess since B52's have 3 nav slots(I think), they would probably split them between randolph and PCola, and the "bombadier" nav would be filled from PCola, trained the same as the F15E and B1 WSOs, but I would venture to say that the EWO and radar Nav position will probably stay at Randolph...

Originally posted by drewpey:

I don't know anything, but I would guess since B52's have 3 nav slots(I think), they would probably split them between randolph and PCola, and the "bombadier" nav would be filled from PCola, trained the same as the F15E and B1 WSOs, but I would venture to say that the EWO and radar Nav position will probably stay at Randolph...

Normally, if you have to preface your post with "I don't know anything" it is probably a good idea to just sit quietly. Technique only.

The Radar Nav on a BUFF is an in-house upgrade from the Nav...I.E. there is no way to get "B-52 radar nav" as a drop from UNT.

The way I have heard the gouge is that the BUFFs and AC130 will come from the strike pipeline here in Pcola. We will still select Strike or Strikefighter, the strikefighter guys going only to F-15Es. THe strike guys do the rest of the course, and then get their airframe the night of winging. This is what I have heard in the SQ ready room.

My question is how many extra strike slots will there be now? How many strikefighter slots? This is the question!

Originally posted by toastychicken:

Maybe this just means that they're running short on Strike Eagle/Bone slots, and have to give other airframes to the rest of the class?

The MudHen community as a whole is short on WSO's. I pray to God they are not cutting back on the number of Mud Hen WSO slots.

Hoser

Gen Looney (AETC Commander) was in Pensacola on Wednesday. I did a demo for him on our radar sim, and while we were sitting in the sim one of the O-6s following him around said that in FY07 they are going to take away 5 strike slots and add an extra 5 slots for strike-fighter.

We've been hearing for a while that the MC-130H T2 community really wants to take all of their navs/EWOs from Pensacola. We've also been hearing that B-1 slots were gonna be cut back to plus the F-15E WSO community.

We're also getting our first F-15E WSOs to come through EWO school in a year or so this summer. Apparently they are going to be taking them from guys with an ops tour under their belt already (i.e. no guys out straight out of P-cola). The F-15E WSOs in my squad say it's a good deal because it means back-to-back ops tours.

PBAR

EW School instructor