The Altitude Chamber

Guest Flight

Just got back from the alt. chamber today. That was the funniest sh*t I've ever seen. If you haven't done it yet, just wait. You will laugh your ass off at your buddy when he accidently has a brown out in the chamber!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

A few years back the commandant of cadets at my rotc det was able to hook up a base visit to Andrews AFB and get all the cadets on a chamber flight. Also some of my buddies that were going to get hops in some two seat Vipers had to get their chamber qual while they were still cadets too.

Cadets from our det have the opportunity to go at least once, if not twice to the chamber during each semester. However, we're only 1.5 hrs from the nearest chamber, so it's not that big of deal. I think there's only like 5 or 6 chambers...something like that. So obviously it's a real b*tch if your school isn't near one.

[ 01. February 2006, 16:35: Message edited by: brabus ]

Ya, we go up to Fairchild atleast once a semester with about 15 cadets. Generally thats about all those things can fit. It's fun! Except for the 4-5 hours of class stuff you have to do before you actually go in the chamber.

Originally posted by Airp:

A few years back the commandant of cadets at my rotc det was able to hook up a base visit to Andrews AFB and get all the cadets on a chamber flight. Also some of my buddies that were going to get hops in some two seat Vipers had to get their chamber qual while they were still cadets too.

Chamber qual is not required to get a ride. If you do not have a current chamber qual, you are limited to FL180 and below.

Hoser

Originally posted by brabus:

I think there's only like 5 or 6 chambers...something like that. So obviously it's a real b*tch if your school isn't near one.

I think there are more than that, but probably not too many. Guys from Seymour will go to Shaw or Langely to re-qual, and Columbus, Laughlin and Vance have them too. I'm sure there have to be another 5-6 thru the central and western part of the US.

Hoser

My Det never did, but am kind of suprised so many others have. I haven't been in one yet...so I have to ask a stupid question...whats the big deal about going in one? I have seen them, and been in one, just never when it was being used.

You can be a regular citizen and go to the chamber if you want to. The fraternity for aviation students (Alpha Eta Rho) at my school went to Columbus and did the chamber. Apparently, when you get the altitude card it can go toward the instruction you need to get your high altitude endorsement. I've seen it "advertised" in the Advisory Circular about high altitude flight so it might be some sort of deal the FAA has with the AF.

Guest comanche

I've gone twice. Once with ROTC and once through the FAA. If you are interested in paying $50 bucks to go through the course and chamber I'll find the link. Part of does count towards your high altitude endorsement, but you still have to do the emergency descent from FL250, at least that is my understanding. If you go through the FAA even though it is the same course as the military one it is a different card, and I was told that it wouldn’t work for ROTC guys to go above 18K.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MATTUSAF

You could try calling your local FSDO. They might be able to help you get a chamber ride.

I don't know for sure but I bet if you asked the Aerospace phys guys nicely they would be able to give you the extra training required to get qualified to go above FL180.

Try to call before you go.

• 3 weeks later...

I was up at Fairchild's on Monday. We were able to go up to FL250, well everyone but me. I had an issue with my ear on the descent from 7500' and removed myself while the rest of the cadets were doing the oxygen pre-breathe. Good thin I did too or i would have blown my eardrum later if I kept going. had a good time watching the other cadets go through the various stages of hypoxia. It hit some fast and others took longer. I haighly recommend going if you get the chance.

I set up a class for my det at Beale last summer. The best way to set it up is to 1) find out where the closest chamber is, 2) have one of your cadre contact the NCOIC of scheduling at the aerospace phisiology training flight and request the informatio required to set up a class. It will probably consist of some kind of memo saying who/how many want to go and a selection of availible dates. They should get back to you. Then just show up when you say you're going to. I know at Beale they require a minimum of eight students to conduct the class. It is a really cool class.

Hoser is correct in that you only need chamber cert for rides that go over FL180. The only thing is that a lot of sorties do go over FL180, so without certification your chances of getting a ride become limited.

• 2 years later...
Guest Miclhstrase

I've always wondered what test are performed inside the altitude chambers during UPT/ENJJPT? Also, what altitude(pressure) do they take you to inside the chambers? I've seen lots of pictures and video, but not a lot of information regarding what they are teaching the students inside the chambers. I suppose maybe how to breath oxygen from a mask?

Guest flytolive

Basically just get a feel for what the body goes through on a normal assent (decompression) to about 25,000" first done without sup oxygen. It's important to know how you will respond to hypoxia since the symptoms are unique to the individual and then have the sense to put your mask on and correct the problem before you pass out.

Yes, also a first shot at using the regulator and mask. Overall a low-threat event - not graded or anything.

Pretty soon w/o T-37's UPT will be pressurized so the chances of your mask failing and you pressurization system failing are pretty slim but it's still important training.