The Altitude Chamber

Guest Flight

Nothing cosmic. Just learning how your body reacts to the lack of oxygen. Everyone's body reacts different, and you need to know what your body's "red flags" are when dealing with a lack of oxygen.

They also do simple altitude changes, show you what it's like to pressure breathe, and a rapid decompression. It's neat. Drink a lot of root beer and eat some mexican before you head in and you'll be fine.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest L Unit

I did this in the Marines as a prelude to high altitude parachuting. There are no "tests" per say, it's a lesson in understanding your personal physiology. You'll learn how to operate the equipment and why it's such a necessity.

My notes for you:

1. Very fun, especially with a group of people you know.

2. Some of the best training you can do in a safe environment that will prepare you for the actual emergent environment. (Realizing when you're being retarded is very helpful.)

3. It's not just how YOU deal with hypoxia, but how to recognize it in others and do something about it.

4. Worst part is after you're done and you unmask to leave the chamber, and it smells like rich, wet ass. (sky_king is right)

Guest murdocjx

LOL!!

"What would you do if you felt this way in the aircraft?"

"Four of spades"

Classic

Guest Miclhstrase
LOL!!

"What would you do if you felt this way in the aircraft?"

"Four of spades"

Classic

Funny video lol. So they don't want you succumbing to hypoxia while flying a jet, that makes sense.

Do people have problems with sinuses ever? I know sinus issues are a medical DQ, but a lot of people have allergies in which they get waivers for as long as they are controlled, do people ever have sinus issues with rapid decompression? I can see how rapid decompression would really suck if you had a cold.

This is interesting, my university has a new aviation program and apparently they have youtube videos up from their altitude chamber. I guess it's just interesting for me, haha:

Edited by Miclhstrase

Some of the best training you can do in a safe environment that will prepare you for the actual emergent environment. (Realizing when you're being retarded is very helpful.)

No joke. Like the guy in the video, I volunteered for the hypoxia test when I did this in UPT. They had me drop my mask (I don't remember what the altitude was) and told me to hold my hands out, palms down. I was given commands to bank left and right with my hands, then recover back to level flight. Unlike the guy in the video, my symptoms didn't have a subtle onset. I was following commands and the next thing I knew, somebody was reattaching my mask and I started hearing two sets of voices simultaneously (both from the same tech); one was his bank commands - which were apparently from 15-20 seconds earlier, and the other was him telling me to gangload my regulator and recover - which was what he was saying real time. Even after I started getting oxygen back, I was so disoriented that I was trying to follow both sets of commands, banking with one hand and trying to gangload with the other (eventhough I knew I was already gangloaded)

Pretty bizarre stuff. And oh yeah, it smelled terrible.

Guest F16crewdwgg
lots of farting

serious

Reminds me of the time I was doing the hearing test in the booth.. and someone farted so we had to start over because everyone started laughing.

you pressurization system failing are pretty slim

Happened to me twice and several other times to other dudes. Guess they just don't make that 38 canopy seal like they used to! So yeah, chances are far better than "slim."

Guest Bogey
Funny video lol. So they don't want you succumbing to hypoxia while flying a jet, that makes sense.

Do people have problems with sinuses ever? I know sinus issues are a medical DQ, but a lot of people have allergies in which they get waivers for as long as they are controlled, do people ever have sinus issues with rapid decompression? I can see how rapid decompression would really suck if you had a cold.

This is interesting, my university has a new aviation program and apparently they have youtube videos up from their altitude chamber. I guess it's just interesting for me, haha:

Yes people do have problems with sinuses, you'll learn that 4 areas can trap gas, sinuses, teeth, GI tract, and ears. During my chamber flight last week our Observer had to "land" and exit because he had a sinus block. I was a little stuffy and my right sinus lagged in equalizing, it was painful for about 10 seconds then cleared. That is why they say to never fly with a cold, its not worth the pain/damage/danger.

Our profile also took us up to FL350

Guest Miclhstrase
Yes people do have problems with sinuses, you'll learn that 4 areas can trap gas, sinuses, teeth, GI tract, and ears. During my chamber flight last week our Observer had to "land" and exit because he had a sinus block. I was a little stuffy and my right sinus lagged in equalizing, it was painful for about 10 seconds then cleared. That is why they say to never fly with a cold, its not worth the pain/damage/danger.

Our profile also took us up to FL350

I have year-round allergies, but I'm almost never fully congested like a cold or anything. I've never had problems with pressurization changes in airliners, but I don't know how much that really tells me. I need to try some over the counter claritin or something and see if I get a medical waiver. I'd be kind of disappointed to not be able to fly because of some stupid allergies, but I also wouldn't want to put myself in a dangerous situation if it caused serious problems.

I should call the altitude chamber at ASU and see how much it cost to sit in on a flight.

Guest SATCOM

My last chamber ride at Langley, there was a girl trying to cross-train into FE. She had a bad reaction and threw up in her mask sitting across from me, and the chunks oozing out the side of the O2 mask were awesome!

No joke. Like the guy in the video, I volunteered for the hypoxia test when I did this in UPT. They had me drop my mask (I don't remember what the altitude was) and told me to hold my hands out, palms down. I was given commands to bank left and right with my hands, then recover back to level flight. Unlike the guy in the video, my symptoms didn't have a subtle onset. I was following commands and the next thing I knew, somebody was reattaching my mask and I started hearing two sets of voices simultaneously (both from the same tech); one was his bank commands - which were apparently from 15-20 seconds earlier, and the other was him telling me to gangload my regulator and recover - which was what he was saying real time. Even after I started getting oxygen back, I was so disoriented that I was trying to follow both sets of commands, banking with one hand and trying to gangload with the other (eventhough I knew I was already gangloaded)

Pretty bizarre stuff. And oh yeah, it smelled terrible.

I got hypoxic during my chamber ride, and ended up being somewhat of an inadvertant volunteer for the extreme symptoms of hypoxia. I remember just talking to people, and finally being told to put my mask on. When we got out people kept telling me "that shit in there was funny dude, were you acting?" and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had no recollection of what was 2-3 minutes of them talking to me like I was a 2 year old. In my mind I hadn't blacked out or anything, and I thought I could account for all the time in the chamber...guess not. It's all funny, I'll admit, but once you realize what it can do to you, it's pretty scary.

Guest Edna

Do they make you do jumping jacks whilst writing an essay on current events? I heard they do..

During ours, we sat at "altitude" for a while and then took a simple quiz with questions like 23+52=?. We also took notes of what are symptoms of hypoxia are. Some people had all kinds of symptoms like feeling warm, color vision going away, etc... There were two of us in the class though. Myself and another guy that didn't feel anything at all. We both said the alphabet and counted by threes etc... Apparently, they told us that it is possible for our first symptom (that we notice) to be simply passing out which is kind of scary. If I ever get hypoxic, I hope somebody else notices that my nose is blue.

Guest Curt22
I've always wondered what test are performed inside the altitude chambers during UPT/ENJJPT? Also, what altitude(pressure) do they take you to inside the chambers? I've seen lots of pictures and video, but not a lot of information regarding what they are teaching the students inside the chambers. I suppose maybe how to breath oxygen from a mask?

Every once in a while someone blows up and dies!

Nah...just couldn't resist...all comments are true, rapid decompression stinks in there thanks to your flight buddies etc...I seem to recall something about wet gases expanding at a greater rate than dry gases.

I got to be the drooling idiot who came off at 35k to show the class just how mean a drunk I could be...and as others said...didn't pass out, just quit reacting to instructions/questions, couldn't put my mask back on and yelled at some of the people laughing at me (so I'm told). It is better if you go with friends who will tell you what an ass you made of yourself cause like others said...I didn't remember several minutes...or maybe seconds, who knows!

Having come off at 35K I didn't have come off the mask at 25k so got to enjoy the show as a spectator watching the same effects that happened to me more slowly to others...

Also true that it was the best training I ever saw...you will enjoy it!

Chamber visit to Holloman was pretty cool. The 6 hour briefing is interesting and boring. I couldn't help but feel like I would need most of it someday, so I stayed awake. Thank goodness the flight physiologist was a cool dude with lots of funny stuff to say and cool stories.

Its important you come clean with them about any sinus problems. I remember them asking boldly more than once if anybody was experiencing any sinus or nasal congestion/pressure. They also mentioned in case someone had a problem with pressure in the chamber that they had a container of Afrin (spl?) on hand. Also, if you've recently had any work done on your teeth, let them know. A cadet from my det had severe pain because she had an air pocket in one of her teeth.

I remember the rapid ascent to 9k while breathing oxygen. Your ears will adjust very quickly. Some people in my flight had pain, some didn't. As soon as we gave the thumbs up that everyone was cool we stayed there for 30 min. breathing oxygen and watching some lame comedy on the tv's inside the chamber. Let me note the chamber was packed (I think it fits 13?). All seats were loaded and you don't have much elbow room or space to sprawl out. So if your claustrophobic they'll have you go in before they start to see if you'll be able to handle it. Once they start they aren't going to open the door and let you out.

If you need to drop a load or take a piss, do it before hand. I can promise you the constant change in altitude will mess with your stomach if you've gotta full tank of gas. They actually said let it out if you need to, we don't want people passing out on the floor (supposedly its happened).

After breathing oxygen for a while we went up to 18k and they said, take your masks off and start breathing and grab the clipboard on side and begin filling out the questions, if you have more than 2 symptoms of hypoxia on the chart mark it off gang load your oxygen and give us the thumbs up your okay. From 18k they gradually brought us up to 26k. Hypoxia is said to sneak up on you, but I could honestly feel it as soon as we reached around 20k. I was actually sitting next to a guard pilot who clocked out the same time as me and said he could feel it to. Tingling of nose, hot & cold feeling in hands, and slight blue coloring in the finger nails (you can't look at your own nose).

Anybody else do the lights out color wheel at 18k? That was trippy.

All in all it was a great experience IMO. The whole ride in the chamber was about an hour long and by the time its over, your ready to get out.

About the ASU chamber at Williamsfield campus. It was left behind from when the Air Force use to be there. My geology teacher mentioned he tried to get permission for a ride but was declined due to insurance reasons. Check it out though.

Happened to me twice and several other times to other dudes. Guess they just don't make that 38 canopy seal like they used to! So yeah, chances are far better than "slim."

Your right. That stuff isn't a joke.

I met a Hornet driver from the Marines a couple months ago that said he was coming over Phoenix and his WSO in the back said, Hey isn't it getting a bit cold in here? So he pulls one of his gloves off and looks down at his fingers and notices the blue underneath his fingernails and immediately pitches the plane down in a rapid descent.

Some people get really messed up. Anybody read the story about Yeager trying to help his friend that was hypoxic? Guy was laughing his ass off hysterically and Chuck couldn't get him to descend.

Actually, the guy sitting across from me in the chamber wasn't responding to any of us when we were telling him to put his mask on (vocally or with hand signs). The type of dude to show everyone how "fighter pilot" he was. Tried to fill out his whole sheet but was obviously fixated on one question. It was funny. Crew chief stands up, Hey who wants to fly with this guy someday? No raise of hands... Eventually he had to put his mask on for him.

Your right. That stuff isn't a joke.

I met a Hornet driver from the Marines a couple months ago that said he was coming over Phoenix and his WSO in the back said, Hey isn't it getting a bit cold in here? So he pulls one of his gloves off and looks down at his fingers and notices the blue underneath his fingernails and immediately pitches the plane down in a rapid descent.

Some people get really messed up. Anybody read the story about Yeager trying to help his friend that was hypoxic? Guy was laughing his ass off hysterically and Chuck couldn't get him to descend.

Actually, the guy sitting across from me in the chamber wasn't responding to any of us when we were telling him to put his mask on (vocally or with hand signs). The type of dude to show everyone how "fighter pilot" he was. Tried to fill out his whole sheet but was obviously fixated on one question. It was funny. Crew chief stands up, Hey who wants to fly with this guy someday? No raise of hands... Eventually he had to put his mask on for him.

We had an enlisted Navy dude in there with us when we went through. He just kept smiling and declining his mask, even though he couldn't follow any of the directions. When we finally hit the time-limit for putting your mask back on, he just kept giving the techs a thumbs up and shaking his head.

my 2nd chamber was at Pcola. I was playing pattycake with a German stud sitting next to me, and the whole thing was being video taped. About 2 and a half min after removing our masks at FL250, I just started tapping my helmet with my hands over and over again, i.e. only doing that part of the pattycake (the high five/ten and hand clap being the other parts). 30 secs later the tech came and waved his hand in front of my face. No reaction on my part. All of the sudden I hear someone tell me to put my mask on, so I do. Didn't remember that 30 seconds at all.

Us helo types only go up to FL180 for chamber refresher these days, not that an AF 60 could EVER make it that high.

My three chambers rides, I didn't get the same symptoms. First time (peterson) I got tunnel vision and nail bluing. Second time (pcola) was just euphoria. Third time (tyndall) loss of color vision and feeling cold.

Guest Miclhstrase

Regarding the sinus issue:

I can breath through my nose 99% of the time, but I am almost always partially congested. I don't know if this causes sinus pressure problems at high altitudes and I probably wouldn't know unless I got in a chamber and found out myself. Otherwise I'll have to get some claritin and see if things get better. I just prefer to stay away from drugs if at all possible.

I'll give the altitude chamber that ASU has a call and see if I can arrange something.

Regarding the sinus issue:

I can breath through my nose 99% of the time, but I am almost always partially congested. I don't know if this causes sinus pressure problems at high altitudes and I probably wouldn't know unless I got in a chamber and found out myself. Otherwise I'll have to get some claritin and see if things get better. I just prefer to stay away from drugs if at all possible.

I'll give the altitude chamber that ASU has a call and see if I can arrange something.

In that case just keep your mouth shut. If your not having problems the majority of the time, its not worth noting or saying anything about. Say anything about allergies and your sure to run into problems. I say stay away from the Claritin and try eating differently. It could be something simple like the milk your drinking. No joke.

If you are to "in tune" with your body and notice the smallest things, you are going to have problems if you get a slot and get a flt physical.

Others may correct me on this, but from my experience, the smallest things can hold you back. So beware.

Guest Miclhstrase
In that case just keep your mouth shut. If your not having problems the majority of the time, its not worth noting or saying anything about. Say anything about allergies and your sure to run into problems. I say stay away from the Claritin and try eating differently. It could be something simple like the milk your drinking. No joke.

If you are to "in tune" with your body and notice the smallest things, you are going to have problems if you get a slot and get a flt physical.

Others may correct me on this, but from my experience, the smallest things can hold you back. So beware.

Yes, I've tried not drinking milk for periods of time, but I can't really say I've noticed significant improvements. A lot of people are allergic to milk an don't even know it. I've never had a food allergy test, but I have had regular allergy test, and I am allergic to a lot of things, but nothing that dampens my performance at all.

I've questioned whether I should say something about my allergies or not. I want to get in an altitude chamber though to see if I should say something or not. If they cause issues with the pressure changes, then I'll definitely say something and try claritin, if it causes no problems whatsoever, then I'll just let it slide.

I've heard people say you shouldn't tell them anything if it's not a problem, but I feel dishonest in a way.

Just go to the flight doc and tell him you are having alergy issues. The doc at Randolph gave me 3 months of Claritin and just DNIF'd me for 3 days to see if it would kill me. I picked them up Friday afternoon, took them over the weekend, wasn't dead on Monday morning and was flying that afternoon. Probably 20% of my class was taking Claritin at some point during UPT, it's not that big of deal.

What is a big deal is flying with sinus block and busting your eardrum...