C-17 Globemaster vs C-130 Hercules

Guest getusome

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have never done a landing to a dirt field, but here are some of the top reasons I enjoy flying the C-17:

Who do you think you are? Sarah Palin?!

How that really reads:

"I may have never slept with a woman, but I can tell you why I like them!"

But look on the bright side, at least your airplane makes you FEEL good...and in today\'s air force, that\'s what REALLY matters.

Everything else is gravy.

Like mission accomplishment? That's good to know. Please stay out of the command track.

FF

My turn to jump in. It's simple, Herc's are for folks who think jumping in front of a moving horse is a good idea...Four Fans I'm looking in your direction. Other than that, they both have their positives, and their negatives. You'll love either one if you get to fly them. I'll spend my energy figuring out why leadership via reflective belts and power point has replaced flying and beer lights. I was promised I left that type of leadership behind in the research labs.

In my opinion, there is a war going on, and people with this attitude should fucking choke themselves.

totallyamazing...2 questions:

First: If the bottom of the barrel is sucking so bad, why are they graduating and not getting washed out? Worthless pilots are worthless where ever they end up. The UPT IPs that graduate them are the best line of defense in saving lives that bad pilots will endanger. Stop letting leakers through.

Second: If you think deploying forward to support your country and more importantly the oath you swore to uphold is stupid, why are you in the military? Douche bags like you are why the AF is going down the crapper. "Life should only be hard for the Army and Marines and Navy...I joined the AF for good family life" Kill Yourself. Fair weather officers belong in France, not the USAF. Adjust your sight picture, or get the hell out.

FF

Herc's are for folks who think jumping in front of a moving horse is a good idea...Four Fans

I got nothing for ya on that pegleg.

I was promised I left that type of leadership behind in the research labs.

You were lied to.

when c-17s were harder to get, we had our top guys get those and our absolute last guys (who didnt wash out) get hercs. i mean hooking checkrides, daily rides, epqs...last. no offense to any herc guys, but you know it was true.

my opinion, deploying is stupid.

How is that possible in pilot training? From what I recall (granted this is back in '03), our guys that were going to go 130s found out at track select, not 6 months later at assignment night. From what I recall, they were pretty decent pilots. Are they handing out 130s now at assignment night? Curious.

And for your second comment, seeing as how you are posting on a military forum, you're putting chum in a very small tank full of hungry sharks.

Might I suggest saying something along the lines of "deploying can be very trying", or "deploying 4 on 4 off is hard on your family".

Your flippant "opinion" denegrates everyone else here who does deploy; they give of their time and energy in service to the country - I for one do not believe deploying is stupid.

Have you every deployed?

I used to be able to argue here that normally the bottom guys in the class went to hercs and the top guys to c-17s but I guess that isnt true anymore.

when c-17s were harder to get, we had our top guys get those and our absolute last guys (who didnt wash out) get hercs. i mean hooking checkrides, daily rides, epqs...last. no offense to any herc guys, but you know it was true.

OK, I'll leave it to others to flame, I just want to ask a serious question. When was this ever true? The "heroes" going to C-17 part I get (when the jet was new and there weren't many of them), but I honestly don't recall there ever being a time when the "bottom feeders" went to Herks. The helos usually had that distinction, but for no other reason than the ridiculous stigma attached to them.

Where are you getting this info from? The way you wrote your post sounds like you're only discussing drops from the T-1 track. You do realize that the majority of C-130 drops go to Corpus right? Using the random herk that drops to T-1s as the basis to form a generalized opinion about an entire community is just plain stupid.

my opinion, deploying is stupid.

Copy. It's all about you.

for lifestyle, i would say c-17>C-130. and remember in your choice...this is your life.

If you're going to spit that rhetoric out, then you need to consider that some people don't want to C-17 life. There are people in the world who (gasp) think differently than you do.

HD

Where are you getting this info from? The way you wrote your post sounds like you're only discussing drops from the T-1 track. You do realize that the majority of C-130 drops go to Corpus right? Using the random herk that drops to T-1s as the basis to form a generalized opinion about an entire community is just plain stupid.

Not only that, if we're only talking about T-1 drops, I was under the impression that a relatively high percentage of the Herks that come up on assignment night go to guys who wanted them and were fortunate enough to have leadership who worked to get them in the drop? That doesn't sound like an assignment given to a guy who is one of the "absolute last guys (who didnt wash out)," no matter what airframe it is.

Guest totallyamazing

for the first point

i was talking about guys that didnt do so well in t-37s going to corpus instead of t-38s or t-1s. there is a class ranking in phase 1-2 of pilot training too. there are of course guys in every airframe who break the mold, like the number one guy who goes to awacs.

second point

i have no problem supporting my country, but that doesnt disqualify me from thinking this way. do you think that deploying is cool or something? that fighting is an awesome thing? i just think deploying is not cool nor does it make people cool. it is just an unfortunate reality. i am not saying to avoid it, but in the c130 you will definately deploy more and you have to be ready to handle the consequences. because, although you are in the military, you are a person with a life outside as well. or at least you should be.

for the first point

i was talking about guys that didnt do so well in t-37s going to corpus instead of t-38s or t-1s. there is a class ranking in phase 1-2 of pilot training too. there are of course guys in every airframe who break the mold, like the number one guy who goes to awacs.

second point

i have no problem supporting my country, but that doesnt disqualify me from thinking this way. do you think that deploying is cool or something? that fighting is an awesome thing? i just think deploying is not cool nor does it make people cool. it is just an unfortunate reality. i am not saying to avoid it, but in the c130 you will definately deploy more and you have to be ready to handle the consequences. because, although you are in the military, you are a person with a life outside as well. or at least you should be.

Some telling observations there.

Now I'm really curious. What do you fly? 130s or 17s?

for the first point

second point

:bash: I still don't see how you come to the conclusion that the worst studs in phase 2 end up at Corpus. Every airframe has its share of shitbags, including the C-130, but you've got a pretty warped idea about where Herk squadrons get the majority of their pilots.

You're right, deploying isn't "cool" like a popped collar or a sweet myspace page. In today's Air Force it's one of many ways you gain valuable experience as an aviator. Going to Red Flag, JFEX, JRTC, and *gasp* on deployments, among other things, are how you grow in your job. Guess what? You're in the military. Your job is to "kill people and break things." Get over it.

for the first point

Definitely not true...go to any UPT base right now and ask about corpus slots. CBM had one class who had 7 studs put it #1 on their list. Maybe back in the day your view was correct, but not today with the sh!tty drops coming out of T-1s and -38s. Some of the best sticks coming through here right now are AF guys who are all pumped to go fly the herk.

I used to be able to argue here that normally the bottom guys in the class went to hercs and the top guys to c-17s but I guess that isnt true anymore.

What ever happened to the "absolute last guys" getting E-3's and E-8's? That's what tended to happen since the only Hercs given out at assignment night during my time at Columbus were to Guard/Reservists.

corrected- times are changing though it looks. now anyone can get a UAS

Still a ridiculous quote. Granted T-44s weren't in the higher level of demand that they are now, but it still sounds like you're basing this opinion over what you saw in your own track select.

There a plenty of shitbags sent to every track. It all depends on what the people who did better are putting down first.

You're entitled to your opinion. But realize that other people don't share it.

HD

• 2 months later...
Guest Airmanstranded
Still a ridiculous quote. Granted T-44s weren't in the higher level of demand that they are now, but it still sounds like you're basing this opinion over what you saw in your own track select.

There a plenty of shitbags sent to every track. It all depends on what the people who did better are putting down first.

You're entitled to your opinion. But realize that other people don't share it.

HD

I'm so sick of you academy grad, storm trooper assimilated pencil dick peons waving your self-righteous core values in my face while you recite your Airman's Creed in the flight planning room. You definitely fly but you never actually fight and you sure as hell never won anything. Our liberal media and newly elected President's party won't let you. I have the utmost respect for the enlisted soldiers who get told to go to any of the shit boxes our generation has fought all its wars in but not you 'bureaucrat in training" clowns. You know why deploying sucks? Its not the fact you have to go...its the fact that our military generation is issued daily policy letters and more BS on a daily basis. Our predecessors in foreign wars had real camaraderie! They weren't told during "off duty" hours to tuck in your shirt or keep it buttoned or zipped up. They weren't told where to smoke or given G.O.#1. The USO actually sent celebs you've heard of. You weren't only given a choice of duty uniform or PT gear. Hell, my Uncles all have pictures of them wearing Hawaiian shirts DOWNTOWN with a beer & a smoke w/ their brothers in arms. Not today though, we have "Fun Runs"...oh yeah...when I think fun I think of running. Used to be you could go off base and "get you some" if that was your vice, now you get human trafficking briefs. Lets see, when I'm not flying or deployed I get brow beaten daily w/ no contraband...no sex...no beer....smoke here only( I don't even smoke)...tuck in your pt shirt...that warm hat isn't authorized you'll have to wear the new one that is authorized when the shitty PX here actually gets them in. Spare me...you wanna know why our deployed suicide rates are up from the past? Its this bullshit I'm bringing up mixed with longer deployments which lead to lonely wives and predatory non-deployed guys back home. Deploying is part of military life and something you expect when you join officer or enlisted(unless your in Pacific Forces of any branch). However, I submit to all of you that deploying would suck less if we restored the days of mostly naked lady nose-art, USAF as a step up from gruntlife, and civis inside the wire like every other allied nation allows that is deployed to my current locale. I can tell you that almost 90% of my guys that separated mentioned the BS to me when they got out. Not the deployment itself. As evidenced by the fact that most of them are all back over here working for KBR or some other contractor. Morale won't improve until brow beatings go away. But alas, as you move up the ranks you brownnosers will create more BS for the rest of us in pursuit of those shiny eagles and stars.

Edited by Airmanstranded

Guest Rusty Pipes
Dover and McGuire aren't the worst C-17 bases, Altus overwhelmingly earns that title. McGuire and Dover are just far less desirable than the alternatives - the best things to do there are to go somewhere else!

Here is a good bar to set as far as a base location sucking or not... If you have to describe a base by how far it is away from somewhere that is actually cool then it sucks!

"Dover's not bad... it's about 1+15 from Philly, 3 hrs from NYC"

"McGuire's OK... about 2 hrs from NYC, an hour from Philly"

"Altus is great... about 30 yrs from call waiting, 20 yrs from cable TV"

Edited by Rusty Pipes

Guest C-21 Pilot
I'm so sick of you academy grad, storm trooper assimilated pencil dick peons waving your self-righteous core values in my face while you recite your Airman's Creed in the flight planning room. You definitely fly but you never actually fight and you sure as hell never won anything. Our liberal media and newly elected President's party won't let you. I have the utmost respect for the enlisted soldiers who get told to go to any of the shit boxes our generation has fought all its wars in but not you 'bureaucrat in training" clowns. You know why deploying sucks? Its not the fact you have to go...its the fact that our military generation is issued daily policy letters and more BS on a daily basis. Our predecessors in foreign wars had real camaraderie! They weren't told during "off duty" hours to tuck in your shirt or keep it buttoned or zipped up. They weren't told where to smoke or given G.O.#1. The USO actually sent celebs you've heard of. You weren't only given a choice of duty uniform or PT gear. Hell, my Uncles all have pictures of them wearing Hawaiian shirts DOWNTOWN with a beer & a smoke w/ their brothers in arms. Not today though, we have "Fun Runs"...oh yeah...when I think fun I think of running. Used to be you could go off base and "get you some" if that was your vice, now you get human trafficking briefs. Lets see, when I'm not flying or deployed I get brow beaten daily w/ no contraband...no sex...no beer....smoke here only( I don't even smoke)...tuck in your pt shirt...that warm hat isn't authorized you'll have to wear the new one that is authorized when the shitty PX here actually gets them in. Spare me...you wanna know why our deployed suicide rates are up from the past? Its this bullshit I'm bringing up mixed with longer deployments which lead to lonely wives and predatory non-deployed guys back home. Deploying is part of military life and something you expect when you join officer or enlisted(unless your in Pacific Forces of any branch). However, I submit to all of you that deploying would suck less if we restored the days of mostly naked lady nose-art, USAF as a step up from gruntlife, and civis inside the wire like every other allied nation allows that is deployed to my current locale. I can tell you that almost 90% of my guys that separated mentioned the BS to me when they got out. Not the deployment itself. As evidenced by the fact that most of them are all back over here working for KBR or some other contractor. Morale won't improve until brow beatings go away. But alas, as you move up the ranks you brownnosers will create more BS for the rest of us in pursuit of those shiny eagles and stars.

Did your buddy not give you a reach-around or something? You obviously need to go squeeze one off then come back to the fight....Geez...pure and pathetic.

Great first post...Welcome to the board...

I'm going to grab some popcorn...you want some.

Guest Hueypilot812

Yeah, welcome to the message board where most people are likely NOT in pursuit of that shiny eagle you speak of...far from it, most of us would probably run the other way if offered such a rank. I know I would.

By the way, there are a couple threads out there that speak of the BS you broadly blame on those of us that post here (hint: we don't like it any more than you do).

Just for your info, I'm about 7 1/2 months into a 12 month deployment in Baghdad.

Guest Airmanstranded
Did your buddy not give you a reach-around or something? You obviously need to go squeeze one off then come back to the fight....Geez...pure and pathetic.

How appropriate...a C-21 pilot(airborne limo driver) bringing up reach arounds. J/K

How appropriate...a C-21 pilot(airborne limo driver) bringing up reach arounds. J/K

Maybe ya oughta take a closer look at his profile...

And chill out with the incomprehensible posts, we've got Bender for all of our drunk-posting needs!

Cheers! M2

Airmanstranded said:

Awesome.

Not.

Hey buddy, I get the "Im 19 and pissed off at the world because my life sucks and Im in knee-deep in Hadji sh!t" attitude but to be fair, we'd appreciate the courtesy of a little background on you, like your job, history, etc., since we've been upfront about ours. That way we can more easily make snap judgements about you and your job/situation based on nebulous stereotypes and bad past experiences...

And youre not quite right on the PACAF thing... Ive only been TDY 100 days this last year as opposed to the 250+ annually I was when I was in AMC. Stupid hard work, bettering myself and upgrades just get in the way.

Dont feed the trolls gents.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17