Flying the Tweet

Guest driftsight

Guest driftsight

For those of you who have flown the Tweet...

About how many rides until you were proficient and comfortable flying the Tweet? (basic aircraft control, keeping in your area and all radio work, etc...?

I've been flying for a couple of weeks now and some basic aspects of it all are still kicking my ass. I'm sure I'll be fine - just wondering about others...

By the time you get to the point were you feel proficient with keeping in the area and the radio work, you will move on to instruments were it all changes. I wouldnt worry too much about it though. Getting comfortable flying the jet will take time but you will get there. Just keep studying and working hard and everything will work out.

Guest newflyer

Uhhhhh 4

Never flew the 37, but flew the t-6 yeah, what bender said, lets get drunk.

Relax, you will fly the t-37 perfectly, on your next flght that you won't get because you are already flying 38s or t-1s.

Good luck.

Guest rumblefish_2

The secret to the tweet is trim. You'll get it eventually and then you'll brain dump it all...Idle, Neutral, Aft...

Originally posted by rumblefish_2:

The secret to the tweet is trim.

The same can be said about the -135. Keep the thing in trim or you'll be fighting it all day...(or just take the low road and engage the autpilot).

Flaps, power, pitch, roll!

Guest DangerousLT

I wasn't truly comfortable (pretty damn proficient in my opinion!) with the tweet until the second half of formation. What a great aircraft - enjoy it while you can!

Guest brrttshwn

I'm just starting formation in the mighty tweet. Still fine tuning my trimming skills. I can't seem to find the damn autopilot that all the IP's keep telling me about though.... As far as staying in the area the DME works well if your at Vance I could sit down with you to give you a few pointers ask your fellow studs perhaps they have a trick or two they could show you. Good luck!

Guest pcampbell
Originally posted by brrttshwn:

I can't seem to find the damn autopilot that all the IP's keep telling me about though....

The autopilot is installed just to the left of the IP, in between the two sets of throttles. Some people call it "the left seat stick acuator."

You'll learn to appreciate what the IP's have to say, because the first time you step to the jet by yourself and you close the canopy and look to your right and nobody is there to "help you" you'll realize all the hell you've went through and will continue to go through is all worth it in the end. And besides it's all on you for that 1.3, you'll go and scare the hell out of yourself doing some of the aerobatics and then you'll do borderpatrol for the rest of the time... or so I've been told. :D Just don't get shot down by the IP's sitting in the RSU. They love getting ground to air kills.

Guest KoolKat

My area solo had the top half of my MOA in a cloud deck.

I did my loop anyways...I could have crapped my pants.

BENDY

Originally posted by Bender:

My area solo had the top half of my MOA in a cloud deck.

I did my loop anyways...I could have crapped my pants.

BENDY

They opened the area to student solos with a cloud deck in the top half of your area? Where did you fly Tweets Bender? I remember at Del Rio if there were any clouds at all in the low areas, they wouldn't open it up to solo students...it had to be almost severe clear.

Guest KoolKat

CBM, it was clear when I launched. The weather was coming in pretty quick and I wasn't leaving until they made the call. The call came when I was about 200# under my bingo and on my way back.

The next thing other than that loop that I remember about that flight is the INSANE number of aileron rolls I did prior to deciding to loop anyway.

AND FOR ALL YOU YOUNG STUDS...It's decisions like that that I don't fly a single seat plane. Be smart, Don't do anything stupid. If you think twice about it, you should probably think a third time, and if you still wonder, you probably shouldn't do it.

BENDY

[ 07. November 2005, 18:04: Message edited by: Bender ]