Holy Formation Batman!

ClearedHot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

such an awesome photo. I can't believe I didn't hear a thing this morning at the time they said it happened - I work about 2 miles from the bridge and the pattern goes right over the top of the building.

[ 20. December 2005, 18:49: Message edited by: Kawen ]

I was flying out here at Shaw as they used the range by us for their air drop. GCI pointed out the traffic for us... "Beast 1, traffic BRA 120 12, 17 groups range."

Guest thebronze

Why are there 17 C-17 available to fly a DAP mission?

I guess probably the same reason every time I go to Chucktown, the ramp is practically full...

Originally posted by '2':

I was flying out here at Shaw as they used the range by us for their air drop. GCI pointed out the traffic for us... "Beast 1, traffic BRA 120 12, 17 groups range."

Apparently GCI doesn't know the standard group definitions

Hoser

Supposedly multi-ship formations like that 'exercise our surge capability' or some other crap like that. It's also a fair bit of reminiscing the good 'ol days, such as the overnight invasion of Northern Iraq out of Aviano...as a maintainer, I never bit into much of this crap, since it was a real b1tch to get that many planes airborne all at once with the limited manpower resources of just one shift.

This game of one-upmanship on who can throw the most airplanes in the air at once is getting pretty I mean, so CHS throws two more birds in the air than TCM - who really cares?

So you're living in some third world country minding your own business and you don't know shit about shit except some other idiot that lives in the same country as you shot his mouth off and made some henchmen do bad things in that rich country over the horizon. Later that month you look up and see this. You lean over to your buddy and say, "I sure hope its food they're dropping."

Originally posted by C17Driver:

Hoser,

Lost wingman procedures (actually called inadvertant weather penetration)

And here I was thinking that the *reason* to fly airplanes close together was to be able to penetrate weather.

<whacks self on foreskull>

Charleston AFB breaks C-17 flying record

BY: Unattributed, 437th airlift Wing Public Affairs Office

12/21/2005

CHARLESTON AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. – The largest formation of C-17s from a single base took off this morning from Charleston Air Force Base in a demonstration of the strategic airdrop capability of the Air Force.

Seventeen C-17s took off at approximately 10:20 a.m. Previously, the largest C-17 formation consisting of aircraft and aircrew from a single base was 15 aircraft from McChord Air Force Base, Wash.

The C-17 formation conducted low-level training in the Charleston area before taking part in a massive airdrop at North Auxiliary Air Field, S.C.

Flying in the formation is Col. Glen Joerger, the 437th Airlift Wing commander, as the Team Charleston aircrews are conducting this training to remain proficient. Charleston aircrews fly daily missions around the world supporting the Global War on Terrorism.

The C-17s also flew over the Ravenel Bridge at approximately 11 a.m. on their way to the airdrop at North Field.

On average, Charleston’s C-17s move more than 295 tons of cargo every day. Approximately 45 percent of all air cargo bound for American warfighters in Iraq and Afghanistan originates at Charleston AFB.