SUPT Journal flame-bait

Hacker

Guest txaggie_99

If you're going to keep a journal, for God's sake, DON'T write down the name of the chicks you're bangin' especially if you're stupid enough for it to be a) a squadron bro's wife and B) an enlisted chick that EVERYONE knows

Guest eowizard

I made a journal for my family and didn't receive any $hit. Just don't post a link on baseops, post solo pics on it, and don't refer to anyone by their real name. And don't worry about RT, your buddies will sell you out before they could find it on their crappy govt internet connection.

Originally posted by Redraider:

Just don't post a link on baseops, post solo pics on it, and don't refer to anyone by their real name.

And don't post pictures of yourself like this one.

timbert.jpg

This pic is what you might call "ammunition". It will be used to the fullest extent.

HD

Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

I know a guy who wrote a book after Kosonam.

He was still on active duty when he did it.

I've never read it but I have heard of some quotes from the book. Allegedly, he said some silly stuff like "I'm color blind so I could pick out a tank in the treeline from the bozoshpere."

Huh?

Rainman, You mean This one?

Sorry could not resist. Everyone needs a good bedtime story.

Originally posted by GuardAg99:

If you're going to keep a journal, for God's sake, DON'T write down the name of the chicks you're bangin' especially if you're stupid enough for it to be a) a squadron bro's wife and B) an enlisted chick that EVERYONE knows

Okay, so I gotta ask...where's the URL to this one?

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by HerkDerka:

And don't post pictures of yourself like this one.

timbert.jpg

This pic is what you might call "ammunition". It will be used to the fullest extent.

HD, how many guesses do we get?

Guest txaggie_99
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I gotta ask...where's the URL to this one?

This was of the old school written kind...sorry no URL. I never personally saw it, but I hear it was an interesting read. His girlfriend ended up getting a hold of it and passing it on. The information eventually ended up getting back his squadron bro (whose wife he was sleeping with). The dude never flew again...

Guest Leeroy Jenkins

This was of the old school written kind...sorry no URL. I never personally saw it, but I hear it was an interesting read. His girlfriend ended up getting a hold of it and passing it on. The information eventually ended up getting back his squadron bro (whose wife he was sleeping with). The dude never flew again...

Guest OL' Patch
Originally posted by Hacker:

You know, I have to say that it was a different world 9-10 years ago.

• 5 years later...

Thread revival.... What about Riddlers IFS/UPT blog on here, is that ok or safe to do? He, to the best of my knowledge, kept his name as well as others names anonymous. The only thing he mentioned of that sort was his class #s and UPT base. He didn't post any pictures or anything that would give him or his family away.

Would starting a journal like that be ok so long as you kept everything anonymous and used false names if any?

Thread revival.... What about Riddlers IFS/UPT blog on here, is that ok or safe to do? He, to the best of my knowledge, kept his name as well as others names anonymous. The only thing he mentioned of that sort was his class #s and UPT base. He didn't post any pictures or anything that would give him or his family away.

Would starting a journal like that be ok so long as you kept everything anonymous and used false names if any?

I kept an online journal, but I didn't give the url out to anyone but my family.

Whether or not you want to put yourself and experiences out there for everyone to read is up to you.

I will say I was one of the readers of studentpilot.net, Hacker's journal, and a few other guys who wrote about their experience. Contrary to the opinion of the poster who put down Hacker's effort, I definitely felt reading all of those journals helped. I have yet to get anything other than my first choice.

The fact that you have to fake everything up should help you answer your own question.

Technique only.

2012 is different than 2006 or 2001 with this stuff. The Air Force embraces it more than it did before. Although carefully.

The is the official Air Force guidelines on the use of Social Media by members: http://www.af.mil/sh...-091210-043.pdf

If you're looking to write a blog or journal, I'd suggest being familiar with this pamphlet. There are a lot of good guidelines and tips in there, but the bottom line is don't be an idiot.

Portray yourself/your writings in a positive and honest way, and always ask yourself if this is something you want the enemy/your mother/CNN/OSI to read before you post. If not, don't do it.

The easiest way to make sure you're covering your ass is to act in a way that won't disgrace you or the Air Force. Then you won't have disgraceful things to write about.

To repeat: don't be an idiot

Edited to add that engaging on the internet in this way can become a slippery slope. We've all seen "conversations" on here devolve quickly into shouting matches of people calling each other names. If you can't control yourself, stay well clear.

Edited by DC

Thanks for the advice guys, I've just read Riddlers IFS & UPT blog and it gave me the idea of writing one myself. Mostly for family and friends as a lot of them have shown interest in keeping up to date with my experiences while training to be a pilot in the Air Force.

I guess my next question is...in terms of like SERE stuff as well as getting captured by the real enemy at war (hopefully that will never happen!) what would they be able to get from a blog about flight training that they wouldn't be able to get from say a facebook or myspace or other social media site since most people have them these days including a lot military members?

*Absolutely NOT trying to prove anyone wrong or anything of that sort, I'm just trying to decide on whether or not my family would be at risk anymore than they would from my facebook*

Any and all advice or criticisms are appreciated.

Justify it however you want. Bottom line you want to do it so just do it and hope for the best.

No one here can give you advice on how you might live to regret it that you don't already know.

To piggyback on this (I hate that phrase), don't go putting shit up all over facebook about how you're deployed or put your profile picture up of you in a desert flight suit in front of a place that is easily identifiable. If you're a pilot, you're cool. You don't have to advertise your coolness online to get street cred.