Centrifuge info

Wing Sweep

Guest mrharvester

I'm pretty sure everyone has to go. Even the guard dudes. The bad news is that it sucks as bad as you think it does. The good news is that the whole thing lasts about 10 minutes, and you get a funny video of yourself.

Everyone goes at the begining of 38s. It is a requirement to pass prior to solo. My Squadron will not even fly you prior to pasing the fuge, don't know if it is the same at other bases. You will go again at the end of phase III if you are in fighters or a FAIP, yes the tweet guys as well. Don't know about the bomber guys.

Guest sickels101

At Vance that is the absolute first thing we do in T-38s (even before academics). Its an introductory fuge lesson and the profile consists of the following. . .

4 G's for 60 seconds (slow onset)

5 G's for 30 seconds (slow onset)

6 G's for 45 seconds (rapid onset)

7.5 G's for 15 seconds (rapid onset

6 G's for 10 seconds (rapid onset checking six/cranium turned around)

That is pretty close to what you do if I remember correctly. After you graduate UPT you go back to the fuge and do the respective profile for your aircraft.

Lastly, the fuge sucks but it is a lot of fun you and your buds will have with each other (STS) and you get a video tape to show your friends.

I would say the worst thing about the squasher is not the G's, the G's were easy for me... its the fact that if you move your head at all, you are so spatitally disoriented that you just about puke.

• 10 months later...

I have a situation and I think I have a good plan but want to check with you guys to see if it seems like a workable idea and if ya'll can think of anything else that could possibly help.

I am a wso that went through training in Pensacola for F-15E's. I got winged in October as a 15 dude but then I failed the fuge twice, both times for improper agsm breathing technique, I got through the whole profile easily but have problems with the last 30 seconds of the acm profile. I never gloc'd. So after the second failure I was reassigned to the B-1.

I am here at Randolph now going through EWO training til the end of August and as I'm sure most of you know there is a fuge at Brooks. I went and talked to a LtCol there last week about coming to practice in the fuge and he said it was a good idea. I think with weekly practice I would be able to pass the fuge easily after a few weeks. I also would like to sandbag some T-38 rides here at Randolph to build up my g-tolerance if I can somehow con my way into that.

My question is this: Do you guys think the Air Force would grant me a waiver if I showed I could pass the fuge multiple times here at Brooks and reassign me back to the Strike Eagle? The waiver would allow me to go back to Holloman a third time and must be signed be the AETC/DO. I am pretty much willing to do whatever, brown nose whoever to get switched back. Pros of the plan include: would have ewo training completed which I know the strike eagle guys want and also the bone is backed up so that might sway the decision. The only con I can think of is that I PCS'ed enroute so my hhg are waiting in abilene.

I'm sorry this post is so long and I appreciate any advice, ideas, or whatever you guys have. Thanks in advance!

Edited to add extra details...

[ 15. May 2006, 03:08: Message edited by: AggieSteven02 ]

Guest Rainman A-10

I can only imagine how many sleepless nights you must've had over this.

Have you talked to your commander about any of this? It really needs to start right there.

I would also suggest you pump iron everyday. Not just curls for the girls either. Get on the squat rack and hip sled. If you don't know what those things are, just wander over to the part of the weight room where you never see anyone working out.

I say go for it but you really need commander involvement.

I talked to my Flight/cc about it and let him know that I was planning on doing this and he was cool with it. Do you really think I should go to the cc about it now or wait til I prove that I have passed the fuge?

Guest KoolKat

I'm a fan of keeping my superiors in the loop the whole process.

Obviously, don't over do it. When you get your chance to go back to the 'fuge, let him know about it. When you get back, let him know how it went. If it went well, you having kept him in the loop...he'll be more likely to help you move along in the direction you want to go.

He can't help you if he doesn't know you need something.

Good luck, unique situation (to me anyways.)

BENDY

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by AggieSteven02:

I talked to my Flight/cc about it and let him know that I was planning on doing this and he was cool with it. Do you really think I should go to the cc about it now or wait til I prove that I have passed the fuge?

I think you should go to your squadron commander as a minimum and you should do it ASAFP.

FWIW, your OG/CC is the one who really needs to know about your situation if you are going to get anywhere with this because he is the one with the juice to make things happen. Your Sqdn/CC has direct access to the OG. Your Flt CC does not.

Thanks a lot for your advice Rainman and Bender, I plan to talk to talk to my Flt/CC tomorrow about setting up a possible appt with the Sqdn/CC, he's a bone wso so hopefully he won't hold it against me that I really want the strike eagle.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by AggieSteven02:

he's a bone wso so hopefully he won't hold it against me that I really want the strike eagle.

He probably will but so what. I had to tell the wing commander at Vance that I didn't want to fly F-15s when I went through fixed wing qual. He didn't understand why I only put one aircraft on my dream sheet. I told him the A-10 was what I really wanted and I figured it was what I could get if I was the protected guy in my class (do they still have protected status?). I told him I would be happy with any fighter he got for me but if he really wnated to know what I wanted to do with my life it was right there on my dream sheet.

You have to convince him that you really want to be an F-15E WSO and you really need his help. There is absolutely nothing wromg with using your chain of command for help, that is what they are there for.

If he is a good commander he will help you even if he is offended. You will still end up in a B-1 if he doesn't help you so you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Just don't piss yourself when you get into his office and he starts asking you why you think you are too good to fly the B-1. BTW, I would be ready to answer that line of questions.

Get 'er done and good luck.

I don't think he will give me too much crap. He knows how much extra pain we had to endure at Pensacola. The strike fighter portion is an extra 3 months of air-to-air that bone guys don't do. So there is no way I am gonna give up without a fight. Main priority now is working out and passing the thing so I have some ground to stand on.

Thanks Rainman, I appreciate all the advice. I may not ever post but I have been on here awhile and I listen to all the good advice that you, CH, M2, and all the other guys have and I appreciate the time all of you take to help out us young guys.

[ 16. May 2006, 00:33: Message edited by: AggieSteven02 ]

• 5 years later...

Thread revival extrordinaire:

What is the policy of a dude who can't pass a higher g fuge profile (Viper, Eagle, etc) going to a Hog? To my understanding, Hog assigned guys don't even go to the fuge since their 38 qual is the same profile (correct me if I'm wrong).

What is the policy of a dude who can't pass a higher g fuge profile (Viper, Eagle, etc) going to a Hog? To my understanding, Hog assigned guys don't even go to the fuge since their 38 qual is the same profile (correct me if I'm wrong).

The A-10 wasn't your first choice?

FWIW, the A-10 isn't any less of a fighter because it flies 300 KTAS, doesn't have a radar, or sustain G. I'm not privy to the current policy, but IIRC, specific fighters are assigned to individuals for a reason. The Hog isn't a consolation prize, it's earned. My guess is that if your leadership feels you earned the privilege to fly a Hog, you'll pass through Tucson.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, I've never heard of a pilot selected for A-10s going to another fighter because they CAN pass higher G profiles...

Edited by Pancake

Don't forget...FAIPs get a total of THREE trips to the 'fuge.

Once before '38s

Once for the T-37/T-38 profile before they start PIT

Then again after finishing their FAIP tour

But by the time you get to the third trip it's fun and easy. You go first, check out o billeting and haul ass to juarez.

I'm not sure about current policies, but me and the centrifuge didn't get along so well when I went to qual on the 15C. From what I remember, there is an A10 profile that is slightly different than the 38 profile. If you are having issues I highly recommend getting the A10/15E profile before going home. Then ask your commander if he can work an A10 for you. Don't try to stay as a FAIP. Changing MAJCOMs is a lot of paperwork and mine had the scrutiny of a three star to stay in AETC. If you stay in ACC no one will pay any attention outside of the assignment guy at AFPC. Because my commander wanted to keep me as a FAIP and the additional scrutiny, I eventually was permanently restricted from all high g aircraft. There was another guy that was having issues with the fuge about 6 classes behind me. He now flies A10s.

I've been through the fuge in the past few months and there is no A-10 profile. They figure if you can sustain G's regularly through T-6's and -38's, then you'll handle the Hog fine.

In a related story, a buddy in my class couldn't pass the Strike Eagle profile when it came time. They gave him a couple of tries and then sent him back to start IFF back at Sheppard. They didn't keep him from continuing (I think the plan was to send him back again after IFF), but told him that if an A-10 slot opened up, they'd try to put him there. That was the last I heard of it since I PCS'ed a couple days later.

It's ok if you can't sustain 9Gs, they'll take you in the Hog. Pulling 9Gs ain't what matters in that airplane.

But remember, you gotta have a taste for killin' or you'll get queasy after a couple combat sorties in that machine. Some people can't hack the frequent exposure to hair, teeth and eyeballs.