Tax free/discounted vehicles overseas

Login Name

Anyone know if you can use this discount if you're headed overseas on orders to have a car ready when you get there? I've got orders to Ramstein, and i"d like to try and get the car ordered, and maybe ready to pickup there when I get in, but still get the discount.

Yes. People did it all the time with BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche.

Don't forget about Pentagon Car Sales, who is the BMW dealer.

http://www.pentagoncarsales.com/

Recently picked-up my second BMW purchased from them, a 2011 528i. I was overseas on a 2-yr assignment and PCS'd back home in April. Ordered the car before leaving. Did the Performance Center Delivery down in SC and I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone bringing the new car to the States. On the price-saved about $8K. No sales tax for active duty military living/stationed in TN.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought there was another thread in the past about this, but I can't find it so I'll add it here.

Has anyone purchased a vehicle overseas and then imported it back to the States when you PCSed home? Trying to figure out if there are any States that have minimal/import taxes if you owned and drove the vehicle overseas. I've seen anywhere between 3% & 6% fee so far...just trying to see if there's anything better out there.

I thought there was another thread in the past about this, but I can't find it so I'll add it here.

Has anyone purchased a vehicle overseas and then imported it back to the States when you PCSed home? Trying to figure out if there are any States that have minimal/import taxes if you owned and drove the vehicle overseas. I've seen anywhere between 3% & 6% fee so far...just trying to see if there's anything better out there.

Done this twice; never had to pay an import fee/tax (AR and TX). Many states try to stick you with the sales tax when you get back. Is that what you're asking?

Done this twice; never had to pay an import fee/tax (AR and TX). Many states try to stick you with the sales tax when you get back. Is that what you're asking?

Yup. Sorry, that was worded poorly. Basically they're trying to charge me the same sales tax as if I had purchased the car new in their state. Just trying to see if I can pay either less or nothing since its not new or if I can use the military card.

Yup. Sorry, that was worded poorly. Basically they're trying to charge me the same sales tax as if I had purchased the car new in their state. Just trying to see if I can pay either less or nothing since its not new or if I can use the military card.

Didn't pay anything in GA

In Florida, if you had the vehicle for more than 6 months prior to registering it there, the sales tax is waived.

Anyone know if you can use this discount if you're headed overseas on orders to have a car ready when you get there? I've got orders to Ramstein, and i"d like to try and get the car ordered, and maybe ready to pickup there when I get in, but still get the discount.

Bought the wifes Volvo through a dealer in TX. Did all the paperwork in CONUS. They only wanted to see the OCONUS PCS orders and processed it just like if I had already been in Germany. Arrived in Germany, took the train/ferry to Sweden and drove it home. Been to Sweden 4 times getting SAABs and Volvo's. Beautiful country, nice people, expensive living.

• 12 years later...
47 minutes ago, di1630 said:

I have a friend in a foreign Air Force who’s moving to the US on exchange and wants to bring his European spec car. Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

My understanding is he can bring it for the duration of his time here, but he can’t sell it in the US. Aka, he’s gotta take it back with him or scrap it. I believe he’s exempt from the emissions requirements. 

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

I have a friend in a foreign Air Force who’s moving to the US on exchange and wants to bring his European spec car. Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Potentially not a factor, but warranty, service, and repair is an additional consideration. Also worth running it by the company issuing insurance.