dog tags?

FalconXtreme

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CrewDawg1

Keep them with you on deployments and they go right back in the mobility folder when you get back. At least from the enlisted side of the house.

[ 22. December 2005, 18:47: Message edited by: CrewDawg1 ]

A reading from the good book (11-2C-17v3)

6.2. Personal Requirements.

6.2.1. Passport. Crewmembers will carry a valid passport on all missions outside the CONUS.

EXCEPTION: Unit commanders may authorize newly assigned personnel who have applied for, but

not yet received, a passport, and those crewmembers whose passports are being renewed, to act as

crewmembers on missions not scheduled to transit locations where passports are required.

6.2.2. Shot Record. Crewmembers will maintain worldwide shot requirements and carry their shot

records on all missions outside the CONUS (except overseas units on local training missions).

6.2.3. Driver’s License. A valid state driver’s license is required on each TDY where use of US government

general purpose vehicles may be required. Crewmembers will contact the local airfield manager

before driving on the flight line.

6.2.4. Identification Tags. Crewmembers will carry two identification tags on all flights.

6.2.4.1. Crewmembers should carry identification tags in their little arm pocket.

6.2.5. FOD Hazards. Crewmembers will not wear wigs, hairpieces, rings, ornaments, or earrings in

the aircraft or on the flight line.

EXCEPTION: Crewmembers may wear plain elastic hair fasteners and/or pins, clips, or barrettes

providing they do not interfere with the wearing of headsets, or the donning of oxygen equipment.

They will be accounted for before and after flight.

6.2.6. Helmets and Oxygen Masks.

6.2.6.1. Crewmembers will carry a personal helmet and oxygen mask:

Damn you're good, C17Driver!!

Originally posted by Bergman:

A reading from the good book (11-2C-17v3)

6.2.4.1. Crewmembers should carry identification tags in their little arm pocket.

[/QB]

Dang! Big Blue in full effect! Telling you what freaking pocket to wear your dog tags in. At least it doesn't say "shall."

Falcon,

Yes, all officers (and enlisted) recieve dogtags. At least they're supposed to. You're only required to wear them while at boot camp, some exercises, while performing flight duties and combat zones. There most certainly isn't 100% compliance with this 100% of the time. Why? People forget them at home, don't care about the rules, don't want to follow rules, etc... a million reasons I guess.

When I was operational, I'd always keep them in my leg pocket even if I wasn't scheduled to fly. You never knew when you'd get that surprise flight. It happened on occasion. Remember, always on alert, always crew rested, never DNIF, right?!

[ 22. December 2005, 22:15: Message edited by: gabe2surf ]

Originally posted by wannafly:

I was actually asked to show them during my contact checkride at Pcola.

Must be a Navy thing. A buddy of mine at Corpus was asked if he had them in his T-44 contact checkride brief, and he said sure without a doubt of course I have them right here in my pocket who doesn't have dogtags, gosh. Then the IP asked to see them and suddenly my buddy couldn't find them and got in some fairly serious shit for 1. Lying and 2. Not having dogtags when he was apparently told to have them.

Guest Navtastic
Originally posted by wannafly:

I was actually asked to show them during my contact checkride at Pcola.

We had to show them before almost every flight at UNT. Isn't it in the AFI that you must wear them for every flight? I'm so not looking that one up. I just do it. Seems like a good idea, so why not?

Guest Navtastic

So I looked it up...

AFI11-2C-130V3

6.2.5. Identification Tags. Two required for all flights.

I knew I did it for a better reason than "seems like a good idea."

Originally posted by Bergman:

QUOTE]

Thats pretty funny that it says 'little arm pocket' in the regs. Kinda if you ask me.

FWIW, 11-2C-21 V3 says we need 2 dog tags every flight.

You guys are KILLING me! I did a cut and paste from the reg and typed the additional line about "in their little arm pocket" for shits and grins, as I thought it'd be funny if a reg actually used that verbage. Normally the AFIs don't have a sense of humor...other than the occasional use of the word "manhandle", which I find funny for some reason.

Whatever you do, don't forget to get silencers for them when you are issued them at OTS or ROTC or wherever. When we got them at OTS, a few of us headed straight for the military clothing store (those of us who were fortunate to have the lack of demerits to leave the OTS campus over the weekend) and got silencers for the whole flight.

A few days later at our mobility exercise when we were living in tent city, every OT decided to wear the damn things all day - including during PT. The end result was a mass formation run each morning with 100 or so pairs of metal dog-tags clinging against one another as everyone ran. It was one of the most annoying sounds. Not to mention that during some of our other "combat" exercises in the woods, where you were supposed to be quiet and camouflaged so the enemy could not detect you, all you could hear was those damn metal, unsilenced dog-tags clinging around.