Awaiting Pilot Training (APT) Flights

Guest nubbyzr600

Guest nolanrthompson

There was some discussion on another post about IFT and I'm not sure how many folks on casual or prior AD know about APT.

We have T-38's as well as U-2's here at Beale. Right now we have 1 Global Hawk but it's remote controlled and hasn't flown in over a year so that's besides the point. Anyway, the T-38's are used for currency/profeciency and the backseats are usually empty. I was lucky enought to find out about the APT program through one of the pilots here. I had my first of three egress classes today and will start flying this week or next.

For those of you on casual or currently working in another AFSC like me, you can fly as "APT" status with 3 things:

1. AF IMT 1042-Medical Recommendation for Flying

2. Egress instruction

3. MFR from Wing CC with coordination through OG and your chain if applicable. IAW AFI 11-401 ACC SUP 1 para A9.2.3.1 “Wing commanders may provide recurring familiarization flights to APT officers who are scheduled to attend either SUNT or SUPT. Units will conduct APT sorties on a non-interference basis.”

Like some folks said in another post, it isn't going to make you excel at UPT but getting a feel for things and having a limited knowledge if/when you get to 38's will certainly help some.

Nubby

[ 16. May 2006, 18:04: Message edited by: nubbyzr600 ]

We have APT students that filter through Seymour and we had one at Lakenheath. All of them have received multiple back seat Strike Eagle rides. We make an effort to get them at least one ride, but past that they get quite a few sorties when we run out of WSOs to throw in IP's back seats.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by nubbyzr600:

Like some folks said in another post, it isn't going to make you excel at UPT but...

Do it just because it will be FUN as hell.

Definately a good deal. I got about 30 Fighting Falcon rides before going to UPT. It helped a bit with G's, but the stuff you do in Tweets/T-6's doesn't have much in common with your average fighter sortie.

Like Rainman said, do it cause it's fun!

It can help with UPT if you ask. We had a guy wash out of my UPT class at moody, he ended up getting a shit load of backseat rides in IFF 38's. Since he knew he was going to end up a WSO, the IFF instructors started him early, teaching him about what makes a good WSO.

Guest C-21 Pilot
Right now we have 1 Global Hawk but it's remote controlled
Really...when did they do this?

Guest KoolKat

I wish I had known about that when I was "APT" at Eglin...

I got in the 15 sim, but never tried to get any flights...

That would have been a good experience, not to mention FUN as hell!

BENDY

EDIT: ATP & APT are kinda different things...

[ 18. May 2006, 01:27: Message edited by: Bender ]

• 8 months later...

Anyone else at Beale have any current info on APT or casual in general?

Whats the base like, surrounding towns, etc.

Originally posted by Bender:

I wish I had known about that when I was "APT" at Eglin...

I got in the 15 sim, but never tried to get any flights...

That would have been a good experience, not to mention FUN as hell!

BENDY

EDIT: ATP & APT are kinda different things...

You should of given me a ring over at the Gorillas (back in 2001). All of our casual "scabbies" got the hook up. I was able to rack up 34 hrs in the back seat of the D model. I probably could of flown more, but my golf game would of suffered. :cool:

Guest Eagle23

I'm only going to have a few weeks after I commission before starting at Sheppard (not complaining, that's for sure). I'm guessing that, still as a cadet, calling up a scheduling office at any of the guard bases (or one semi-local AD base) around here would only annoy someone instead of getting me a shot at a ride?

An AD O-6 Eagle driver recommended it to me saying that it'd be worth a shot, but I haven't put much thought into it lately.

-Z

Originally posted by matmacwc:

EvilEagle

Are you kidding me? Fighting Falcon? Gay....

Quick on the uptake there matmacwc! Yes, I am an Eagle Driver.

The actual name for the F-16 is the Fighting Falcon... we like to remind them of that often!

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by Eagle23:

I'm only going to have a few weeks after I commission before starting at Sheppard (not complaining, that's for sure). I'm guessing that, still as a cadet, calling up a scheduling office at any of the guard bases (or one semi-local AD base) around here would only annoy someone instead of getting me a shot at a ride?

An AD O-6 Eagle driver recommended it to me saying that it'd be worth a shot, but I haven't put much thought into it lately.

-Z

Here's some info:

Sandbag

More

I don't know if that O-6 was just making an innocent off-the-cuff remark or what, but it is not as simple as just calling up a skeds shop and asking about open pits. There's always above-your-paygrade paperwork involved, but hopefully someone here from a FS can provide more details specific to your situation.

Cheers, Hydro

EDIT: I haven't had enough coffee yet apparently. The links I gave are probably just chaff given your ATP situation - the OP in this very thread sounds like what you need. Note to self: Quit jumping to the end of threads. Crap, I'm almost out of Starbucks again....

[ 29. January 2007, 11:42: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

Guest Kumpfman2

and if you're not fortunate to be APT at a 38 equiped base...a couple of casuals at Robins were able to score some IFF 38 flights at Moody. Call up the schedulers and maybe you'll get lucky (sts). Check this for info:Sweetness.

Originally posted by usaf36031:

is anybody here a Thunderbolt II pilot?

The lightning II looks awesome too!

Someone sure had a big bowl of sovreign options this morning.

Originally posted by usaf36031:

it just looks like a reaper to me

It looks like an old and unimproved rest of the fleet to me.

HD

(I personally think they should call that one the "reaper"...it just looks like a reaper to me)
Hm... looks like 69 Lieutenants to me.

Guest salokin

necessary number of LTs to get rid of in order to afford one of those "reapers"

[ 29. January 2007, 15:04: Message edited by: salokin ]

Originally posted by Eagle23:

-Z

As a casual, and working in an ACC scheduling shop, we wouldn't want you to call in and ask for a flight. You wouldnt get your head bit off for trying but you would be gaurenteed not to get a flight regardless. We have a bunch of award winners and whatnot that are first in line. The only way a cadet can get a flight is on Ops AF during the summer.

But good luck for trying.