TBIRDS acceptance.

a little off topic question, but I've been watching some thunderbird airshows on YouTube and it got me thinking.. I believe airshow teams like the blues and tbirds are active duty only, but do the tbirds hire fighter pilots from the reserves or ANG? I did a search and according to google in the past I believe there has been only 3 ANG fighter pilots that have been selected. here's the twist. even though they were current enlisted in the guard, they all came from an AD AF background.

ultimately my question is, can you still get picked up on the tbirds without any AD service?

TIA, wikz.

Sorry, I don't know for sure. But if you can pass UPT then portray yourself as being able to inspire or represent a marginalized community, your chances would increase exponentially. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 12:22 AM, HuggyU2 said:

There have also been a few Reservists that were selected for The Delta. 
Are you asking about TB pilots?  Or TB enlisted billets?

more so pilots. can reserve/ ANG fighter pilots get accepted on the TB's to be one of the 6 without being AD beforehand?

Can they?  Yes. 
Have any yet?  I don't think so. 
There is nothing in the application that addresses prior active duty. From a flying  viewpoint, it wouldn't matter. But I'm sure there are unwritten considerations too. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The only reason why this is happening is because the T-Birds have been having a heck of a time filling cockpits over the past 3-4 years with experienced aviators.  The Air Force decided to open it's doors to the Total Force.  And oh by the way, Maj Clark went to the Academy and spent 13 years in the RegAF before joining the ANG in 2022.  Hire a Guard-baby into the T-Birds and I'll be impressed.

Edited by TheNewGazmo

12 hours ago, TheNewGazmo said:

Hire a Guard-baby into the T-Birds and I'll be impressed

Is there even a guard baby out there that would want to do that? I’d be a bit surprised if there was. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheNewGazmo said:

The only reason why this is happening is because the T-Birds have been having a heck of a time filling cockpits over the past 3-4 years with experienced aviators.  The Air Force decided to open it's doors to the Total Force.  And oh by the way, Maj Clark went to the Academy and spent 13 years in the RegAF before joining the ANG in 2022.  Hire a Guard-baby into the T-Birds and I'll be impressed.

damn, I didn't know they struggled with filling the slots with skilled pilots. 

yeah, I noticed Maj Clark was prior AD too, which I believe rules out any actual former TBIRD who was selected from being just a guard baby. 

I do wonder if and why they favor AD over ANG pilots. 

Edited by wikz

8 hours ago, brabus said:

Is there even a guard baby out there that would want to do that? I’d be a bit surprised if there was. 

i am curious as to why a guard baby wouldn't try for a demo team.

40 minutes ago, wikz said:

i am curious as to why a guard baby wouldn't try for a demo team.

From where I sit, the implication appears to be that a guard baby is presumed to have a higher opportunity cost against airline work income access and progression vis a vis his regAF year group mirror, due to not being saddled with an ADSC while otherwise eligible for 121 shangri-la. That's a reductionist view of guard babies of course, though it is true the statistical majority of them do become airline pilots.

I am an AFRC baby, I'm not an airline pilot. At any rate, if I was an 11F, the reasons for not pursuing it would be the schedules. My motivation for being a baby were always homesteading/control/schedules related. I only speak for n=1, but that's one answer from one baby. ymmv teto et al.

• Thanks 1

That and what guard baby would want to deal with the metric shit ton of AD bullshit that comes with a demo team. The vast majority of fighter pilots want nothing to do with that bullshit, doubly so for a guard dude. I know several great dudes who have done T Birds or specific jet demo teams - this isn’t shitting on them personally, It was right for them, and that’s awesome. However, they are very much in the minority for wanting to do it.

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1