X-59 Quiet Supersonic

ClearedHot

The pilot flying the first flight of the X-59 is a friend and former U-2 pilot.  I plan to go down there for that first flight.  "First flights" are pretty rare these days, compared to 70 years ago.  

From what he can tell me about the aircraft and the research leading up to it, it's very interesting.  

NASA also used a YO-3A and TG-14 for a lot of the data gathering.  It's neat stuff.  

• Like 9

On 2/17/2022 at 7:27 AM, HuggyU2 said:

The pilot flying the first flight of the X-59 is a friend and former U-2 pilot.  I plan to go down there for that first flight.  "First flights" are pretty rare these days, compared to 70 years ago.  

From what he can tell me about the aircraft and the research leading up to it, it's very interesting.  

NASA also used a YO-3A and TG-14 for a lot of the data gathering.  It's neat stuff.  

Any idea of when/where that will be?

Gulfstream is working on a similar concept, except the overall aspect ratio is variable due to basically a large pitot that extends/retracts almost the entire length of the airplane.  Retracted for taxi/takeoff, extends in flight to create the quiet boom aspect ratio.

1 hour ago, Smokin said:

Gulfstream is working on a similar concept, except the overall aspect ratio is variable due to basically a large pitot that extends/retracts almost the entire length of the airplane.  Retracted for taxi/takeoff, extends in flight to create the quiet boom aspect ratio.

So it…gets an massive boner before “busting” the sound barrier? Giggity.

image.png.ba6ac46bf04b91ef92305f4bd5ef15eb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/16/2022 at 8:35 PM, DirkDiggler said:

Pretty interesting article, pilot's gotta land it via camera due to the length on the nose.  That'd have to be weird doing the first couple times.

Hopefully it's not the same one that's in the KC-46! 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1