Microsoft Office

I recall an email a few months back saying the Home Use Program (HUP) contract between MS and AF was ending on 30 Sep. That might be why the large price increase.

If you have a .edu email you can get Office for $40.

You can also get 6 months of free Amazon Prime, and then half off per year thereafter ($39/year) with a .edu address. I know it is a little late, but I have found that Amazon Prime really pays for itself around the holiday times. Since it is free 2-day shipping, I am also getting a bunch of little things for around the house from Amazon that I am too lazy to go to Walmart or Lowes and get.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

I recall an email a few months back saying the Home Use Program (HUP) contract between MS and AF was ending on 30 Sep. That might be why the large price increase.

I saw traffic to this effect as well, but just did the HUP in late Nov with no problems ($10). So I guess the ending contract was bad gouge.

EDIT TO ADD: If you search for Microsoft HUP on the AF Portal, you can find a list of all the MAJCOM POCs. Shoot yours an e-mail from a .mil and they'll send you the code for your MAJCOM.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: Link

Edited by backseatdriver

You can also get 6 months of free Amazon Prime, and then half off per year thereafter ($39/year) with a .edu address. I know it is a little late, but I have found that Amazon Prime really pays for itself around the holiday times. Since it is free 2-day shipping, I am also getting a bunch of little things for around the house from Amazon that I am too lazy to go to Walmart or Lowes and get.

http://www.amazon.co...ent/signup/info

Any idea if that shipping deal helps at all for overseas APO addresses? I know it can't be as fast as 2 days, but any improvement over the standard "wait 3-4 weeks at least" would be nice.

Any idea if that shipping deal helps at all for overseas APO addresses? I know it can't be as fast as 2 days, but any improvement over the standard "wait 3-4 weeks at least" would be nice.

I used amazon prime when I was at Ramstein. Shipping time was about 10 days.

Amazon prime is awesome if you are overseas and you need to buy a gift for your family in the states. I will forget about someone's birthday and order last minute. The present will be on their doorstep the next day wrapped. When you have Amazon Prime it only cost a couple extra dollars for one day shipping and it is guaranteed.

Edited by one

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

OEM copies are still not that cheap. Looks like you can get Windows 7 for around $80 on Amazon.

Also note, and not a lot of people understand this, that Microsoft charges only for the product code, not the actual CD/DVD or the software itself. Matter of fact, you can download Windows 7 or 8 from Microsoft's website and make your own bootable DVD, you just need a valid product code to use it. In other words, you can use the same DVD on multiple computers, as long as they each have a unique product key to be legal.

So, if you have an old Windows 7 or 8 computer (that you are not using anymore) with a good product key, you can just download the windows 7 DVD and use that product key. If it has been used before, then you will have to call Microsoft when you activate it, and they will ask you one and only one question - how many computers is this product installed on. It takes about 5 minutes.

It's illegal to use a product key for Windows on more than one machine, but if you are no longer using that old computer with that old product code......

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Plus you get Amazon Primes movie app, think of it as Netflix plus, free with prime membership. More current movies on the free side, up to date rentals.

Anyone seen/heard of deals for the Windows OS itself? Looking to get Parallels for my Mac but don't want to pay full price for Windows.

/cheap

You working on that ERAU masters? Or any other school? Most schools offer a serious discount. ERAU offered a free win 7.