Sequestration meets VML

Vickrey15E

Due to sequestration and general over all crappy timing, I am hitting the VML still inexperienced after my first assignment. I heard a rumor that being inexperienced is an auto ops assignment according to AFPC AFIs'. Is there any validity to that statement?

V

If so, that's new - I know many dudes over the last several years who for many different reasons left for a non-ops assignment as an inexperienced dude. It really comes down to what are the needs for a 11F/12F (?) wingmen, flight lead, etc. around the CAF on this VML. Hopefully it works out for you and there's need, but it could also just be shitty timing and there's no need for an inexperienced guy to go to base X.

fwiw, the last guy I knew that left the jet non-experienced, is back in the jet.

11F's are the flavor of the month, in case you hadn't heard. For that matter, I'm at PIT and I can count the number of 11F's going through training right now on one hand, so...

fwiw, the last guy I knew that left the jet non-experienced, is back in the jet.

11F's are the flavor of the month, in case you hadn't heard. For that matter, I'm at PIT and I can count the number of 11F's going through training right now on one hand, so...

11F's being the flavor of the month is different how from the norm? It's an 11F AF. I don't say this bitterly, just stating fact.

We've consistently sent inexperienced guys to ALO slots or back to UPT as instructors.

Commanders often used it as a tool to protect more "promising" officers on track for weapon school, sending the young, not-quite-as-promising co-pilot to fill the VML so the more experienced pilot or WSO can stay in the squadron and upgrade. For a period of time, we were dropping orders on people at the 18 month point, with a RNLTD at exactly the 2 year point.

11F's being the flavor of the month is different how from the norm? It's an 11F AF. I don't say this bitterly, just stating fact.

He's talking about 11Fs being highly desired in fighter billets as opposed to TAMI21 or whatever short-sighted program they come up with next, which cast 11Fs to the wind.

• Upvote 2

We've consistently sent inexperienced guys to ALO slots or back to UPT as instructors.

Commanders often used it as a tool to protect more "promising" officers on track for weapon school, sending the young, not-quite-as-promising co-pilot to fill the VML so the more experienced pilot or WSO can stay in the squadron and upgrade. For a period of time, we were dropping orders on people at the 18 month point, with a RNLTD at exactly the 2 year point.

Affirmative. Commanders use this as a "tool in the kit," which will probably upset some people on this forum. However, you can have confidence in a system where commanders at the lowest levels are able to either "push" or "hold back" guys, depending on the situation, that they feel have future leadership potential. The "big hand in the sky" doesn't control your fate, your squadron commander does. Which means...ultimately, you control your own fate. Edited by General Chang

Affirmative. Commanders use this as a "tool in the kit," which will probably upset some people on this forum. However, you can have confidence in a system where commanders at the lowest levels are able to either "push" or "hold back" guys, depending on the situation, that they feel have future leadership potential. The "big hand in the sky" doesn't control your fate, your squadron commander does. Which means...ultimately, you control your own fate.

The "big hand in the sky" certainly controls how many of those ALFA slots get dumped on a squadron.

But then, where else will you dump them? Gotta feed the machine somehow...those 365's aren't going to fill themselves, even with the drawdowns. Lord forbid some SQ/CC or WG/CC in a desert location have to list that he led fewer people than his predecessor.

The "big hand in the sky" certainly controls how many of those ALFA slots get dumped on a squadron.

But then, where else will you dump them? Gotta feed the machine somehow...those 365's aren't going to fill themselves, even with the drawdowns. Lord forbid some SQ/CC or WG/CC in a desert location have to list that he led fewer people than his predecessor.

Point taken. The 365 non-vols are a function of the computer algorithm. The slots are a function of overseas & Pentagon GOs, and yes, work continues to make sure the numbers are right.