FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Spot on PanchBarnes!

Sooo, all of us cynical mid to upper-level captains had a CC call with the AETC/CC today. The majority of the question and answer session focused on the force management programs being implemented and we actually had a senior leader admit to the fact that they are "learning as they go" with this one. I would have expected an answer better than that, but then again, this is the Air Force personnel system. Well the question was brought up about us pilots applying for VSP or getting RIF'ed. He stated that we are too valuable of a commodity and that only a very small percentage of us will be let go even if we showed as eligible on the matrix. He even said that wing commanders should also be denying any VSP requests from pilots, and our wing commander was sitting right in front of him when he said that, so there goes our chances. My understanding is that the VSP application can still go up, but chances are reduced of getting out if the WG/CC denies it. My question is why in the heck do we have to be told this now? Big Blue loves to play we have a little secret. Why could this not be mentioned on myPers? Furthermore, if we are a commodity, why the heck even put us as eligible on the matrix? Has anyone else heard about pilots not having a good shot at the VSP?

I guess it is good that we find this out now before we show our cards and get hosed over for the rest of our time in the AF.

To tell you the honest to God truth, though, the best (and most accurate) information about this Charlie Foxtrot force management program has been found on these forums and not by our leadership. Keep the information rolling guys!

Good on them for giving you guys a CC call to ask questions. That said, if you're 100% set on getting out, don't shy away from applying based on the opinion and public comments from a guy who has a vested interest in discouraging you from trying to leave. You're on the matrix and there's nothing in any unreleased memo about WG/CC approval being a determining factor in your application. Do what's best for you and your family, but you KNOW you won't be approved if you don't apply.

Edited by BamaC-21

I was told SAD...I mean SAF wanted to have them officially released no later than early next week. Taking bets on how close to midnight of the 14th it is released. They need to send it out tomorrow so we can have all weekend to contemplate our next move with official guidance. Who knows what they may have changed in the wording.

Ok, so I just heard that my Wg/CC will resist any attempt to get out by his 11M members, due to his perception that we are "critically manned." Whether or not he can actually do this, the perception is created that members who volunteer to VSP or introduce a DNR letter in a RIF are not "team players." Anyone else hearing things from their leadership that is running counter to Big Blue's force shaping initiatives?

Interesting, but in previous RIFs and VSPs, the only thing that the Wg/CC could do was not recommend your VSP etc. On the letter issue, letters are sent directly to the board and your Wing/CC never gets a copy of it so write away.

On a separate note, just saw an AFPC slide deck on this that states several times that "only officers in projected overage populations by grade and AFSC will be eligible for voluntary and/or involuntary programs (except SERB)." I would assume that also means the ESERB as well.

The best advice is to do what is best for you and your family, but I would expect that if you have a large ADSC remaining that your chances for approval of any voluntary programs is very limited.

On a separate note, just saw an AFPC slide deck on this that states several times that "only officers in projected overage populations by grade and AFSC will be eligible for voluntary and/or involuntary programs (except SERB)." I would assume that also means the ESERB as well.

Sounds good. Where's that matrix?

Highlights from PSDM 13-130

This PSDM announces the CY14 Officer Reduction in Force (RIF) Board, associated Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) Program, and applicable eligibility for the Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) Program. The RIF, in combination with VSP and TERA, is designed to reduce overages in AFSCs to ensure Air Force compliance with congressionally mandated end strength while addressing current and emerging mission requirements. The Air Force is scheduled to convene a RIF board on 16 Jun 14 at the Air Force Personnel Center to evaluate eligible officers for continued retention. Officers not selected for retention by the RIF board will separate NLT 31 Jan 15. Officers eligible for RIF board consideration will have an opportunity to apply for the VSP program from 14 Jan to 1 May 14 at a rate of 1.25 times standard full separation pay or, if eligible, apply for TERA. The application window for TERA will be from 14 Jan to 26 Mar 14. For more information on TERA eligibility and application procedures see PSDM 13-128 at the Force Management page on myPers

Eligibility Criteria: The CY14 RIF board will consider all officers in the grade of captain in year groups 2005 through 2008, and all majors in year groups 1997 through 1999 and 2001 through 2003 (as computed by Total Active Federal Commissioned Service Date (TAFCSD) in specified Air Force Specialty Codes (AFSC) and in competitive categories: Line of the Air Force, Biomedical Sciences Corps (BSC); Dental Corps (DC); Medical Corps (MC), Medical Service Corps (MSC) and Nurse Corps (NC). The board will also consider LAF-J officers with a date of rank to major of 1 May 2010 to 31 March 2011 (Bd ID L0414G), 1 April 2011 through 31 May 2012 (Bd ID L0414H), and 1 June 2012 through 30 September 2013 (Bd ID L0414I).

General Information: AFSCs and Year Groups considered are determined based on Air Force needs. Management Levels (ML) and Force Support Squadrons (FSS) will be notified by AFPC if an AFSC and/or Year Group are removed from RIF eligibility. To help prepare for the boards, instructions on the Retention Recommendation Form (RRF) (AF IMT 3538) process and Accounting Date (17 Jan 14) are provided at Atch 3; a chronological listing of milestones is provided at Atch 6.

Voluntary Separation Pay Program: *RIF-eligible officers may apply for separation to be effective 29 Sep 2014, under the Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) program IAW Title 10 U.S.C Section 1175a. Officers eligible for the RIF board who do not have the minimum required 6 years of service by 29 Sep 14 to qualify for VSP will be allowed to set a DOS to match their 6-year date of service in order to qualify for the VSP program. Applications for VSP will be accepted no earlier than 14 Jan 14 and no later than 1 May 14. VSP approval entitles RIF-eligible officers to 1.25 times the rate of full separation pay provided they meet the minimum requirements in Atch 10. Officers not selected for retention by the RIF board will be entitled to full separation pay. Specific criteria for the VSP program are enclosed at Atch 10.

TERA: RIF-eligible officers with 15 or more and less than 18 years Total Active Federal Military Service (TAFMS) are eligible to apply for TERA. From 14 Jan 14 through 26 Mar 14, eligible officers may apply for retirement under the TERA program that is effective 1 Aug 14. Completed applications (to include the commander’s coordination) must be submitted NLT 26 Mar 14 to be considered. TERA-eligible officers who choose to apply for VSP in lieu of TERA must sign the acknowledgement at the bottom of the Individual Ready Reserve/Statement of Understanding at attachment 2.

Date of Separation (DOS): RIF-eligible officers may continue to apply for separation under traditional programs outlined in AFI 36-3207, Separating Commission Officers. Officers approved for separation on or before 13 Jun 2014 with an effective date of separation on or before 31 Jan 15 will not be considered by the RIF board. Officers who request a separation date beyond 31 Jan 15 regardless of approval date will meet the RIF board and if not selected for retention, will be separated on 31 Jan 15, IAW Title 10 U.S.C Section 638a. These officers will be separated with a Separation Program Designation (SPD) code LCC, Reduction in Force resulting in an involuntary discharge on 31 Jan 15 regardless of later approved DOS.

Officers submitting an inter-service transfer or Palace Chase request must do so before

16 Jun 14. Officers contingently approved for inter-service transfer and Palace Chase will continue to be eligible for the RIF board unless the effective date of separation is on or before 31 Jan 15. Officers subsequently selected for retention by the RIF board may request withdrawal of the inter-service transfer or Palace Chase request.

Officers with an approved DOS who would otherwise be eligible for the RIF may be allowed to request withdrawal of their DOS only for cases of unique hardship or when in the best interest of the Air Force on a case-by-case basis. Officers who have their DOS withdrawn will be eligible for the RIF.

Formal notifications are required for all officers added to the board after the RRF accounting date, 17 Jan 14, via an OPB.

PCS and 365 Day Extended Deployments (ED): The following procedures apply to all RIF eligible: officers with a PCS or ED on file

• Prior to official public announcement of this program: RIF eligible officers who accepted a PCS or ED before the official public announcement of this program, but have not yet departed, may elect to separate in lieu of the PCS or ED. Contact your appropriate officer assignment team or AFPC Assignment Programs and Procedures Section (AFPC/DPAPPP) at either

afpc.dpapp@us.af.mil or DSN 665-3815 for more information.

• On/After Official Public Announcement: PCS and ED selections will be considered and made on a case by case basis. RIF-eligible officers who are currently projected for an ED will be reviewed on a case by case basis for possible ED cancellation and replacement action.

A copy of the list of officers eligible to meet the RIF and eligible for VSP will be available on the secured COP approximately 30 Dec 13 (TERA-eligibles list and individual notifications will have been completed during TERA PSDM release). The MPS will distribute an informational copy of the lists to the appropriate commanders. Approximately 31 Dec 13, the officers meeting the RIF and eligible for VSP will be notified by personal email through the virtual MPF.

Something to mull over from the 36-3207 in case you were thinking of not showing your hand by emailing your letter to the RIF board:

Officers who directly cause their nonselection for promotion through written communication to the promotion board are not entitled to receive separation pay (10 U.S.C. 1174 [a][3]).

Highlights from PSDM 13-130

Still not official, right?

Edited by The_Ginger

Does the force-shaping board for the 09-10-11 year groups have the ability to tell who is prior e? I'm curious because a prior e who is over six years in overall would get sep pay if force shaped out but a non prior would not. You'd think if the board could see prior e time they'd retain more prior es to avoid paying sep pay and force out the nonpriors who can be kicked out for free.

Anybody know if you can apply for Palace Chase and VSP at the same time? It's two different programs, but I'm sure afpc has some rule hidden from the masses that would not allow it.

Anbody?

Also, if you're thinking about VSP, then picking up an AGR, look at this. At worst, you pay back your VSP.

(j) REPAYMENT FOR MEMBERS WHO RETURN TO

ACTIVE DUTY.(1) Except as provided in paragraphs

(2) and (3), a member of the armed forces

who, after having received all or part of voluntary

separation pay under this section, returns

to active duty shall have deducted from

each payment of basic pay, in such schedule of

monthly installments as the Secretary concerned

shall specify, until the total amount deducted

from such basic pay equals the total

amount of voluntary separation pay received.

(2) Members who are involuntarily recalled to

active duty or full-time National Guard duty in

accordance with section 12301(a), 12301(b),

12301(g), 12302, 12303, or 12304 of this title or section

502(f)(1) of title 32 shall not be subject to

this subsection.

(3) Members who are recalled or perform active

duty or full-time National Guard duty in

accordance with section 101(d)(1), 101(d)(2),

101(d)(5), 12301(d) (insofar as the period served is

less than 180 consecutive days with the consent

of the member), 12319, or 12503 of this title, or

section 114, 115, or 502(f)(2) of title 32 (insofar as

the period served is less than 180 consecutive

days with consent of the member), shall not be

subject to this subsection.

(4) The Secretary of Defense may waive, in

whole or in part, repayment required under

paragraph (1) if the Secretary determines that

recovery would be against equity and good conscience

or would be contrary to the best interests

of the United States. The authority in this

paragraph may be delegated only to the Undersecretary

of Defense for Personnel and Readiness

and the Principal Deputy Undersecretary of

Defense for Personnel and Readiness.

some bases have started accepting VSP applications......some commanders are processing them early and waiting til the 14th to submit to afpc

I thought the applications were to be done on vMPF. So, how would that happening?

I thought the applications were to be done on vMPF. So, how would that happening?

they do, but they first go to your commander, then your wg/cc then afpc....some bases are allowing them to be submitted now and holding them up at wg/cc until the 14th. Our base had an email sent out saying you could submit now and they would be held at the base level until the 14th.

Does the force-shaping board for the 09-10-11 year groups have the ability to tell who is prior e? I'm curious because a prior e who is over six years in overall would get sep pay if force shaped out but a non prior would not. You'd think if the board could see prior e time they'd retain more prior es to avoid paying sep pay and force out the nonpriors who can be kicked out for free.

Your TAFMSD will be the first day you started your original (Enlisted) service date. However your EAD will be the date you entered as an Officer. And like was stated prior, they'll see decorations you earned as Enlisted. That's really it, your old EPR's were purged when you came back on Active Duty.

Edited by Azimuth

Ginger

From our briefings on Dyess, if you VSP (& are approved), you will then have a DOS and can then Palace Front. If you are not approved, than can still apply for Palace Chase.

Front what the in-serve reserve recruiter said, that folks in those overage career field are getting palace chase approval at a very high rate. That makes sense, since the AF would still be letting folks out but wouldn't have to pay any separation/VSP.

Also, regarding repayment of the VSP if you go guard/reserve and earn a retirement: Finance airman said that they'll tax the VSP at 25% (I thought it would be based on your overall annual income). However, 100% of the VSP $ will be collected quickly if you go AGR, or at retirement if you stay TR. To me its still a good deal.

Edited by outlaw05

You'd think if the board could see prior e time they'd retain more prior es to avoid paying sep pay and force out the nonpriors who can be kicked out for free.

Or you kick out the prior e because they're a lot closer to collecting a retirement check for life. And a much larger percent of the prior-Es are in for the long haul - get 'em now before they can make the lifetime check. Paying a few grand now is better than 1.5 mil later...

Not that I think either is a factor, but if it were - it would probably make more sense to cut the prior-E guy/gal.

zb

Is the VSP only for those facing the RIF, or can anyone with a blue square in the matrix apply for VSP?

For example, can an '04 guy passed over for O-4 apply for VSP? (Not eligible for RIF, though not excluded by being on a promotion list or less than 1 year TIG)

I hope they want prior e's to VSP since I'm one if them. It would make sense. I'd palace chase with only 2 yrs left to retirement. You can make an active duty retirement with about double the years in gaurd or reserve time.

You would just need to find a unit willing to pick up a guy with 18 yrs. I'm not going to say that is impossible, but there are going to be lots of guys who are about to VSP, Palace Chase or get RIF'd looking to get a Guard/Reserve job. I know back in 2006 when they did the last legit VSP the C-17 Res Squadrons went over manning because there was a ton of talent they couldn't pass up on… but once you get over 15 yrs or so it get much tougher to get a job. Again, not impossible… just very difficult.

Sooooo… anyone hear anything from any of these random Wing Commander's calls or rumor mill on the "priority" of those who apply for TERA in this whole Force Shaping thing? If you are eligible for TERA and apply for it is it a done deal or is this another bait and switch like the last VSP debacle? I'm guessing there is no way they could deny TERA and then RIF someone, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to let someone VSP than approve TERA.

Edited by Rusty Pipes