FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Unfortunately AFPC is shaping up for a week of poor communication again...for those who have not noticed it before, the verbiage below is from the "alerts" part of the AFPC secure site. I am CERTAIN that this migration will be completed on time...because we have never had computer problems (or poorly planned cyber events) before during migrations...Argh.

* AFPC Applications *

* UNAVAILABLE *

The servers supporting the AFPC Secure environment will migrate into the Air Force Network starting 26 March 0700, through 28 March 1600. All applications behind AFPC Secure will be unavailable until the migration has been completed. The migration must occur during duty hours to support contracting obligations with the AFNET team

We will send out courtesy updates daily and notify users when migration actions are complete. If migration actions are delayed beyond 1600 on Friday, March 28, we will send out the proper notification and estimated completion date.

We understand the significance in timing with the unavailability of systems and will attempt to minimize the impact. We appreciate your patience and apologize in advance for any inconvenience this AF directed action may cause.

Bunch of f**king clowns. Any flag worth his stars would unilaterally shut this migration down until later this year.

• Upvote 1

Bunch of f**king clowns. Any flag worth his stars would unilaterally shut this migration down until later this year.

Do we currently have any worth their stars? Welsh excepted, I guess. Sad that dude only has limited ability to enact change due to the entrenched shoe-promoting culture.

it's not a loophole. You just have to provide justification WHY you want to separate with less than 180 days notice, and your SQ/CC or WG/CC has to buy it. In my case, I just put that I had multiple employment opportunities on the shortened timeline, and mine was approved (128 days notice from application submission to DOS). Took AFPC 4 weeks to approve my app, and I went on terminal leave 35 days later. Since I was applying with the justification of being a free agent (ADSC expired), they weren't going to disapprove it...(I think the only time that could happen would be stop loss).

Took TAP while still waiting for app to be approved, since you can take it up to 2 years out from your expected DOS, and a nice A1C from the MPS went ahead and loaded an outprocessing checklist for my in vMPF so I could get ahead of the game, since it was going to be such a short period between notification and terminal leave (I had 60 days terminal).

Thanks stract! This is great to know. I thought the system wouldn't let you put in a DOS <180 days. I am accepted to a Masters program that starts at the end of July and was trying to figure out if it was even possible to attend. I know you can get out 30 days early for school but even with that it was going to be close.

Gents-

I have serious doubts HAF and AFPC will be able to play catch-up, next week for the TERA deadline of 1 Apr. Once again, it's not that amendments are being made, behind the scenes, it's still the blatant lack of comms, from AFPC in particular. I'm convinced now AFPC is a blind bureaucracy, operating in a vacuum, separate from the rest of Big Blue. I've called TFSC at least 10 times, trying to pull a reasonable level of data about my TERA package and I've gotten blatant apathy and flat out incompetent lack of information from these folks. I'm blown away that an organization, like AFPC, thinks its OK to leave it's service members, in the dark. Communication, even at basic level, revealing reasonable expectations would cover a multitude of sins.

HAF/A1 & AFPC-If you're listening, you can't leave your service members, in the dark, with only the Air Force Times and Forums to make sense of the rest of their lives, it breeds contempt. I don't expect perfection, I expect communication and I'm tired of waiting in the dark. With every moment that passes, I can't wait to take my skills elsewhere, where I won't be treated like I'm sitting at the kiddie table.

• Upvote 2

Why would you call TFSC 10 times? I'm not sure what you think they would know about your case specifically. It's pretty clear that the people answering the phones are call-center type folks who operate as a first line of defense before you get forwarded to the actual office of responsibility. Was this seriously not obvious to you?

Jesus people. The answering machine that picks up at TFSC tells you upfront to sit tight until 1 Apr. Yeah, this is a pretty shitty way for them to do things but people need to stop acting like they've been wronged by the guys in the trenches at TFSC and AFPC. Those guys are probably doing the best they can with the guidance and authority they have been provided. Stop busting their balls and shitting on them every time you want specifics on your case when you've been told over, and over and over since the beginning that these guys don't have any specifics. AFPC as an organization? Yeah, it's a clusterfk and it has royally f'd this thing up for everyboday. But the people on the phone are just doing their jobs and probably getting paid $14/hr to do it. Personally I think alot of the blame should go to the 5k people who tried to apply and sneak one by when they weren't eligible. It's true a small number of folks got screwed over by the poor guidance at the beginning but not 5k people. The bulk of the ineligibles were just throwing up a prayer hoping they could sneak out, clogging up the system for those of us who are ACTUALLY eligible per the guidance. Probably a bunch of SFS and MX guys to be honest. I'll bet there were less than 200-300 pilots who applied, though we may never know.

I'm anxiously awaiting my own TERA approval too but cut the grunts some slack here. Take 10000 pieces of paper and lay them out on the floor in front of you and tell me how quickly you could get through them to make critical life decisions for each of them if you had 50 people working with you, let alone the 15-20 guys they ACTUALLY have working in the R&S branch at AFPC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would you call TFSC 10 times? I'm not sure what you think they would know about your case specifically. It's pretty clear that the people answering the phones are call-center type folks who operate as a first line of defense before you get forwarded to the actual office of responsibility. Was this seriously not obvious to you?

Jesus people. The answering machine that picks up at TFSC tells you upfront to sit tight until 1 Apr. Yeah, this is a pretty shitty way for them to do things but people need to stop acting like they've been wronged by the guys in the trenches at TFSC and AFPC. Those guys are probably doing the best they can with the guidance and authority they have been provided. Stop busting their balls and shitting on them every time you want specifics on your case when you've been told over, and over and over since the beginning that these guys don't have any specifics. AFPC as an organization? Yeah, it's a clusterfk and it has royally f'd this thing up for everyboday. But the people on the phone are just doing their jobs and probably getting paid $14/hr to do it. Personally I think alot of the blame should go to the 5k people who tried to apply and sneak one by when they weren't eligible. It's true a small number of folks got screwed over by the poor guidance at the beginning but not 5k people. The bulk of the ineligibles were just throwing up a prayer hoping they could sneak out, clogging up the system for those of us who are ACTUALLY eligible per the guidance. Probably a bunch of SFS and MX guys to be honest. I'll bet there were less than 200-300 pilots who applied, though we may never know.

I'm anxiously awaiting my own TERA approval too but cut the grunts some slack here. Take 10000 pieces of paper and lay them out on the floor in front of you and tell me how quickly you could get through them to make critical life decisions for each of them if you had 50 people working with you, let alone the 15-20 guys they ACTUALLY have working in the R&S branch at AFPC.

I'd be wary of believing that 5k people applied that were ineligible and were trying to "sneak one by." It's possible that 5k people became ineligible after AFPC changed it's requirements.

• Upvote 1

Take 10000 pieces of paper and lay them out on the floor in front of you and tell me how quickly you could get through them to make critical life decisions for each of them if you had 50 people working with you, let alone the 15-20 guys they ACTUALLY have working in the R&S branch at AFPC.

Now it makes more sense. I suppose I was just assuming that they were going to use a computer to help them out.

It's funny to me when people get mad at other people for getting mad...makes me giggle.

Bendy

What? A computer can see every application, to include every single data field on each one (not to mention every data field in any database we choose--assuming one had planned for it) all at the same time. Full automation isn't necessary, nor desired unless you have the perfect answer, which we clearly do not. Partial automation, something like "flag" the applications that correlate to no ADSCs and split them out, would be simple and immensely expedite the process.

That is...if you wanted that.

Bendy

words

I agress with most of your post except for this:

Personally I think alot of the blame should go to the 5k people who tried to apply and sneak one by when they weren't eligible. It's true a small number of folks got screwed over by the poor guidance at the beginning but not 5k people. The bulk of the ineligibles were just throwing up a prayer hoping they could sneak out, clogging up the system for those of us who are ACTUALLY eligible per the guidance. Probably a bunch of SFS and MX guys to be honest.

Take a look at how many SFS personnel are projected to be cut. They need many, MANY applicants.

One of the larger AFSC's that got screwed in the 23 Jan update was the 4N's. I personally know several Airmen that got denied after the matrices changed. I think the number of "ineligible" applicants was more likely caused by AFPC's failings than supposedly underhanded Airmen.

*Altus Barbosa

Feel free to settle with mediocrity but I won't. You bet I've called TFSC, many times, trying to find answers to specific questions about my records in order to build reasonable expectations-yes I expected them to do their job and yes I completely ignore the robot message that tells me not to call, every time. I've even made an effort to share what little information I 've gathered (gasp) with others on this forum. I'm sorry you feel like the poor souls that answer the phones are being mistreated by me. My subordinates expect better than mediocrity from me and I expect the same out of others that are processing the next step in my life. You are correct the TFSC doesn't know much and therein lies the problem-they should. I was patient a month ago, I'm no longer patient. Do you really think if the masses are silent, the process will get any better?

Here's hoping for better news next week.

• Upvote 1

In my experience the more times you call, you talk to different people who may or may not know just one more piece of the puzzle. Obviously not even the Commander knows everything but you can start to get an idea.

I disagree. I've called multiple times. I'm not mean to the call center person, but I do ask tough questions. I call and am on speakerphone hold for 20 minutes while surfing the net. I hope those phones ring constantly. Waiting until 1 Apr for something that's going to affect the rest of your life is stupid. If you want to go that route because someone wrote that in a PSDM fine, but that's not the right answer for me. If nobody complains, then leadership thinks everything is going great. I wish there was more I could do, but I doubt I'll receive a customer satisfaction survey.

I'm blown away that an organization, like AFPC the Air Force, thinks its OK to leave it's service members, in the dark. Communication, even at basic level, revealing reasonable expectations would cover a multitude of sins.

HAF/A1 & AFPC Air Force-If you're listening, you can't leave your service members, in the dark, with only the Air Force Times and Forums to make sense of the rest of their lives, it breeds contempt. I don't expect perfection, I expect communication and I'm tired of waiting in the dark. With every moment that passes, I can't wait to take my skills elsewhere, where I won't be treated like I'm sitting at the kiddie table.

FIFY

Unfortunately, my experience makes me believe it's an Air Force-wide cultural issue.

So under the updated PSDM there is yet another IRR agreement/SOU and this says in section e where it talks about disability it has in yellow "(SUSPENDED) Per SecAF memorandum, dated 17 Oct 2007, the requirement to recoup VSP from disability compensation benefits awarded by the Department of Veterans Affairs is waived". What exatly does this mean? If I were to get VSP and have disability I would not have to wait 10 years till I could start collecting? Also does this require me to upload yet another IRR agreement/SOU?

So under the updated PSDM there is yet another IRR agreement/SOU and this says in section e where it talks about disability it has in yellow "(SUSPENDED) Per SecAF memorandum, dated 17 Oct 2007, the requirement to recoup VSP from disability compensation benefits awarded by the Department of Veterans Affairs is waived". What exatly does this mean? If I were to get VSP and have disability I would not have to wait 10 years till I could start collecting? Also does this require me to upload yet another IRR agreement/SOU?

No. It's just saying if you get disability, it will not be used to recoup VSP. Retirement - yes, Disability - no.

//Break//

Every time I log into myPers and see that there's even less info than before...

Jack-Nicholson.gif

I don't expect perfection, I expect communication and I'm tired of waiting in the dark.

Sadly, I no longer expect even base competence by anyone working in personnel (or finance, for that matter.) Instead, I'm pleasantly surprised when it appears the person I'm talking with is even familiar with an applicable AFI.

Yea, I've got a 1405 date 6 Apr 1997... I was wondering if this was a sign... I know they use the 1405 to calculate retirement pay, my hope is this is a step in the right direction. If they can populate that date then why is it so hard to keep us informed. My family is about done living in limbo....

(TERA 11R 2001 yr group)

Yea, I've got a 1405 date 6 Apr 1997... I was wondering if this was a sign... I know they use the 1405 to calculate retirement pay, my hope is this is a step in the right direction. If they can populate that date then why is it so hard to keep us informed. My family is about done living in limbo....

(TERA 11R 2001 yr group)

After 15.5 years in the Air Force, my reservoirs of hope and optimism are completely drained but I don't think AFPC would be calculating retirement pay on a whim. Huge knock on wood!

I paid the 99cents for the one day subscription to AF times.

Per the AF times review of congressional budget documents for Force Management.

"Air force expects to pay $81.6 million to 560 officers taking TERA, or 15 yr retirements. Another 1,137 officers will receive $108.8 million in voluntary separation payments this year. The Air Force has not budgeted for officer TERA or VSP in 2015, suggesting the service does not expect to offer these programs again next year to officers."

Hopefully this means we will get an answer before the next fiscal year.

• Upvote 1

The Air Force has not budgeted for officer TERA or VSP in 2015, suggesting the service does not expect to offer these programs again next year to officers."

That's a poor suggestion. I'm sure it means that they want to clarify/finish FY14. I'll speculate that the programs will continue to be open for the next 3-4 years, but the AF will manage their numbers more efficiently than what has gone on here.