Herk hard landing - Afghanistan

Which a computer is more accurate than any human could be. I fly with student pilot's that cross flow from KC-10's, C-5's, C-130H's, etc and when asked if they missed their FE, a majority of them state that they don't and they appreciate flying in a three person crew due to the fact it's "quiet" on the flight deck compared to their previous MDS.

• Upvote 1

Which a computer is more accurate than any human could be. I fly with student pilot's that cross flow from KC-10's, C-5's, C-130H's, etc and when asked if they missed their FE, a majority of them state that they don't and they appreciate flying in a three person crew due to the fact it's "quiet" on the flight deck compared to their previous MDS.

Yep, who knew that Airbus was right about computers and aviation. Is it part of the training to ask if they miss the FE or does it just always come up in conversation?

Yep, who knew that Airbus was right about computers and aviation. Is it part of the training to ask if they miss the FE or does it just always come up in conversation?

It's usually part of training when they're being told that they're responsible for fuel management, TOLD computation with the FMS, and other duties they were used to having the FE do. Scoff all you want at FE's being removed, however there isn't one on the KC-46 and 767's have been flying just fine with two pilots as with a lot of other aircraft.

I'm not scoffing, I posted earlier that I'm pro FE, but you wont find a post, or statement from me anywhere saying an airplane designed without an FE or Nav should have one. I point out mistakes that were made on both sides. So it's not about FEs being removed, they were never there to begin with. Shit happens with and without FEs and Navs.

Its simple... the need for an FE is completely dependent on the design of the airplane. F-16s don't need FEs; C-5s do. And for everything in the middle: if you've never been qualified on the airplane in question, your opinion is not valid.

• Upvote 4

There are actually ways of doing it....I just can't remember off the top of my head. There is cross-service sharing of safety information, but handoff occurs at pretty high levels. On our end I think we'd have to go to at least the MAJCOM level to get something from a different service. Not sure how you'd go about it on your end.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but if you're motivated I'd just call the AF Safety Center at Kirtland AFB and ask around. Someone there will know how the process works.

AF Safety (AF/SE) or the AFSEC Deputy Commander (AFSEC/CD) is authorized to release the SIB findings to other services. Denzel, I'd contact the US Air Force Safety Center directly and they can probably help you with your request. PM me and I'll give you some numbers to call.

Awesome. Why would we want to share safety stuff. Thanks.

Because, if we shared safety stuff, it could prevent you from crashing into a big ass hole in a runway or something like that. Then we wouldn't have as much stuff to Monday morning quarterback.

• Upvote 1