Canada officially cancels F-35 order

Clark Griswold

I predict that Boeing will very aggressively attempt to sell the Super Hornet to the Cannucks.

Or the F-15SE or just plain E, still has not be bested in combat yet.

Nice concept but not developed yet and would take some time to get done, the report referenced delays as one of the main factors in not recommending the F-35, along with price and lifetime cost of operation...probably wind up being a bit pricey after unexpected problems are encountered and fixed along with extra time.. 100 million (projected) for an SE vs 67 million for a SuperHornet.

I think they are looking for 4+ Gen capability with the lower risk of several years of operations already... so the SuperHornet or Eurofighter... just my $.02 I think the SuperHornet is what it will it be, go with what you know..

Edited by Clark Griswold

Or the F-15SE or just plain E, still has not be bested in combat yet.

The F-15E is a great airplane. However, Boeing is set to close the Super Hornet line in 2016 unless they find a new buyer. The F-15 line will remain open substaintially longer due to the recent Saudi buy. Couple that with the fact that Canada is already flying Hornets and has the air refueling assets for only drogue-types. To me, Boeing selling F/A-18E/Fs to Canada is a natural proposition from both parties.

All true but it is not flying (only a demonstrator not a full up production example) and a bisexual AR capability is yet another feature (read cost and delay) to be added... after the political mud fight of the F-35 I don't think any Canadian politician is looking to stick their neck out for another high risk defense accquistion... besides in the F-XIII fighter competition for their next fighter, the SK's are only looking at an improved F-15K with an AESA radar because of delays in the conformal weapons bay and canted fins... delays delays delays... if Boeing would give a good deal on keeping the legacy CF-18's flying until it is ready then maybe... but again: cost, availabity & compatibility with what you already have are going to drive this, so once again the SuperHornet is the best choice overall...