Potential Vision Situation

Jeepers21

Hey guys,

I hate to start a new thread but searched for a while and didnt find anything exactly like what I was looking for. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have an upcoming FC1 at Wright-Patt the first week of December. I believe I am right on the boarderline regarding my refraction error and am unsure which way it will go. That is my only issue. Other than that I should be completely fine during the FC1.

My question to you is, since I am 26 and 1/2 years old and will be 27 in May 2013, I was wondering what options I have if I DQd because of my refraction error. I have not had PRK but would be willing to get it done ASAP after the FC1. I am a civilian who has been sponsered by a reserve unit. I am aware that PRK requires a minimum of 12 months before I can take the FC1 again. This being said, I am also aware that I would need to be at UPT before my 30th birthday. From your experiences, does this leave me enough time (to get PRK surgery, retake FC1, get Hired by AFRC board, go through OTS, go to UPT). I am aware there are age waivers and what not but disregarding this how does the outlook look for me?

Also, just a side note, I am a good candidate for PRK (in case I need it), and my unit would be willing to hold on to me until everything is completed. Also, I dont want to be pushed towards a nav spot. I want to fly.

I hope for the best in December.

Thanks in advance, and any insight would be great.

Edited by AceMohr

Go to your civilian eye Dr. Ask him what he finds, then ask him what you can do, as in alternative routes. Jerk yourself off blind or something, I don't know.

I already had to submit by Civilian eye exams to the SG in order to get my FC1 scheduled. They did the cyclo refraction error exam at the civilian doc and once I sent this information in to the SG (through my recruiter), they scheduled the FC1. I am assuming they had to see what it was as they specifically requested a cyclo test from my civilian opt.

If I were you I would hope for the best during the physical and not roll the dice with the age waiver.

Good luck.

I am hoping for the best, but as far as the age waiver goes, I don't want a waiver. I was just seeing based on everyones experience if they think I would have enough time to get PRK, retake my FC1, get hired by AFRC, go through OTS and still make it to UPT by my 30th birthday if I were to get DQ'd for my eyes in December at FC1.

An age waiver would be a last resort if I couldnt make it to UPT by my 30th birthday.

Edited by AceMohr

I'm going to make the educated guess why 81L BLR hasn't answered is for the same reason I haven't: it's too close to call with too many variables until you are actually evaluated at WP.

I'm going to lean into not getting PRK, but I am not nearly familiar enough with the training time frame and other application deadlines. It seems the vision question is as solved as it could be at this stage, and the real question of whether you have the time to accomplish everything should be asked over here - http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/forum/20-road-to-wings/

I'm going to make the educated guess why 81L BLR hasn't answered is for the same reason I haven't: it's too close to call with too many variables until you are actually evaluated at WP.

I'm going to lean into not getting PRK, but I am not nearly familiar enough with the training time frame and other application deadlines. It seems the vision question is as solved as it could be at this stage, and the real question of whether you have the time to accomplish everything should be asked over here - http://www.flyingsqu...-road-to-wings/

Thank you for the information. I definitely appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I just got back from my FC1. I love this forum and the people are incredible, and give great information and advice. But, reading through here makes the physical seem A LOT more doom and gloom than it really is. The people at the USAFSAM are awesome! If they find an issue, they do EVERYTHING in their power to pass you, they want you to get through. They know and take to heart that 99% of the people at the FC1 are there because they have been offered their dream job. They HATE DQing people! One person told me the last 4 people they had to DQ brought them to tears. Don't make yourself more nervous than you should. I actually had a really good time at the Physical even after failing my depth perception test the first time and having worse eyes than I thought (eye doc let me take all the time I needed to pass the depth perception, and got me a waiver for my eyes (20/100). If you are patient and are nice to the people there it will be over before you know it and you will be on your way. Not one of the 29 people in my group failed.

Dude, I just got back from my FC1. I love this forum and the people are incredible, and give great information and advice. But, reading through here makes the physical seem A LOT more doom and gloom than it really is. The people at the USAFSAM are awesome! If they find an issue, they do EVERYTHING in their power to pass you, they want you to get through. They know and take to heart that 99% of the people at the FC1 are there because they have been offered their dream job. They HATE DQing people! One person told me the last 4 people they had to DQ brought them to tears. Don't make yourself more nervous than you should. I actually had a really good time at the Physical even after failing my depth perception test the first time and having worse eyes than I thought (eye doc let me take all the time I needed to pass the depth perception, and got me a waiver for my eyes (20/100). If you are patient and are nice to the people there it will be over before you know it and you will be on your way. Not one of the 29 people in my group failed.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Be advised...they can act like they're your friends all they want, but they aren't.

Use caution.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but Rainman is right again. Interacting with flight medicine is a great time to be courteous, STFU, and when you have to speak give as little information as possible. Details and past history will typically not help you.

There are few, if any, people who can screw your entire flying career with one stroke of a pen.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but Rainman is right again. Interacting with flight medicine is a great time to be courteous, STFU, and when you have to speak give as little information as possible. Details and past history will typically not help you.

There are few, if any, people who can screw your entire flying career with one stroke of a pen.

+3

If there was EVER a time to think before you speak and STFU, it is when you are there.

Be advised...they can act like they're your friends all they want, but they aren't.

Use caution.

If there was EVER a time to think before you speak and STFU, it is when you are there.
Your government loves you and wants only the best for your career. Now please complete a DD Form 2807 and self-report your full medical history.

20/100?

You must have an impressive set of bogey goggles.

20/100 ain't that bad; just a touch outside FC1 standards.

Don't let him make fun of you, four eyes. It's not your fault you need tri-focal lenses and telescopic optic implants

Your government loves you and wants only the best for your career. Now please complete a DD Form 2807 and self-report your full medical history.

I'm not advocating hiding serious medical issues, that can get people killed, however had a buddy almost black out in a UPT due to what was most likely dehydration and complained about a headache afterwards (no surprise there), yet in describing the severity of the headache he mentioned "migraine". The Doc promptly DNIF'd him sent him to a neurologist who said no migraines ever, yet a year later he is still fighting the medical process to get back into training. All I'm saying is don't give the docs there is quick kill because you said something stupid.

Im not saying that you should go in there guns blazing divulge anything and everything without being asked and not use caution. I am just saying that IF they FIND something, they will do whatever they can to get you to pass. Maybe my group caught them on a good week, or maybe I just got lucky, but that was my experience.

God I can't wait to wear some BCGs at UPT haha

God I can't wait to wear some BCGs at UPT haha

If you're Guard, get your medical squadron to put you on the contact lense program ASAP. As long as you're on it before you show up, they will let you wear contacts. I was glad I did this, I hate flying with glasses.

• 3 weeks later...

+3

As an AD flight doc, I am friends with lots of pilots, and not for the purpose of ruining careers once trust is built. I'm going to stay anonymous, but if you knew me you would know that I fight tooth and nail to keep you flying provided that you are not a risk to yourself or others. Grounding a trained asset is never anything we want to do. Ideally the problem can be fixed (such as with myopia --> glasses or PRK) and a waiver is possible. If your local flight surgeon fights to get you back in the air, and basically puts their reputation on the line and takes responsibility for your medical safety, the higher ups at MAJCOM will listen. Regulations are pretty strict though and there's only so much the peon local FS can do, but the current trend is more aeromedical waivers. Recent decade of operations and pilot shortages may have something to do with it.

Of course, if you are an applicant, none of this applies. You are right, the docs really aren't your friend in this case. The AF is risk averse and isn't going to spend alot of money training someone who will have major issues down the road. Don't lie, choose your words carefully, and be respectful. There is no back door to flying.

I hope this helps! Flight docs are not jerks, we do not get paid more based on how many careers we ruin. I was a flight doc for a period of time so I could obtain a specialty, and it worked out for me. I enjoyed working with aircrew and hope I saved many more careers than destroyed. We do care about your safety though and take that seriously.

• Upvote 1