Emergency Prep

epsilon

One day a pal recommended a book, "One Second After" which caused me to look into civil defense. I found this website (http://www.tacda.org) which publishes/ed a magazine. Years ago I was able to read a few editions online and there were some interesting articles that apply to the short-term scenario (hurricane/flood/blizzard). One point I remember was that if you stock food, it should be stuff you can eat as part of your everyday eating. Once food starts getting to the end of its shelf life, start eating it and replacing it. That way you are not spending a chunck of dough and tossing it out. If you don't care about the moeny, donate it. They also talked about easy to store, basic food staples like dry rice, beans, oats, and other grains. A 50lb sack of a few of those can last quite some time. That is my plan, but not yet implemented. Its cheap and I'll donate the stuff when it gets old. As for water, the easiest is the common case of plastic bottles, but if you want a solid quantity, get a food grade 55gal drum. They even make a pump for the top.

BTW, the book tries to raise the alarm on EMP, but I was more facinated at the after effects. No new medicine, food production, rise of gangs, etc. If you liked Alas Babylon, you'd love this one.

Out

Some great points on long-shelf-life food that you actually use. Here's one pretty good deal on buckets of the stuff that you can cycle through with daily cooking/eating. I also like to keep about two weeks of drinking water in those 5 gallon water cooler bottles. We drink the stuff anyway and its good peace of mind in case of weather or stupidity.

Edited by HU&W

I would have said you're crazy until I watched this, particularly about 2:59 on. Scary what we have brought ourselves to. I hate to say it but it was for a masters paper I was writing when I was researching...

Edited by Snooter

Snooter--Dude thanks for posting this. That is some scary stuff. The limfac is in the private companies that aren't required to have the robust defense against attacks. If the grids got shut down in big cities in the summer it would be mass chaos. I can't imagine the fallout of that happening in L.A., etc.

You know what, you might be right about the Commissary and online sources. I know I could buy them from my services squadron...on a Guard Base that is. I think the Life Support section in my squadron sells them too...on a limited basis though.

I'm not sure how my father acquired them many moons ago. I never really asked specifically how he got em'.

AUAB grab n go . Box'em up and ship home! Cost = $0

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Keep your primary vehicle's fuel tank as full as possible during whatever "bad" season you're expecting (hurricane, tornado, zombie...). Sucks to try to bug-out with no fuel, and if it's a widespread power outage... no gas for you.