Navy LT sends a .PPT to her new 3-star commander...hilarious and sad

Ram

Come on guys. Please tell me you’re not falling into this trap.

Did it ever occur to you that this might be an elegant setup to expose the military’s racists and sexists using obvious stereotypes? Already a few of you, based on your comments with racial overtones, have failed. Women and minorities have faced a glass ceiling in the military since the beginning. That glass can’t be chipped away; rather, it requires shattering with blunt, forceful maneuvers. Lt Ethel’s powerpoint slides offer a strategic move toward equality. Instead of thoughtlessly making fun of her, we need to respect this for what it is: genius. Let’s band together to support her goals.

What glass ceiling? The military is the most level playing field for women and minorities. It might even be considered too favorable for both. That said, being a woman and/or a minority is not going to bar you from being promoted or achieving personal goals. You know what else could be detrimental to progress? The White Knight Syndrome.

Maybe she is joking or maybe she is not. It is hilarious either way. If she made this as a joke, then she knows how to make fun of herself and stereotypes. She is also smart enough to know there will be backlash and likely does not care.

2. Raspberry succeeded in exposing prejudice throughout the military.

Exposing prejudice is not going to get rid of it. It needs to be ignored.

Her degrees are in engineering. I absolutely find it possible that one could be a whiz when it comes to physics but have the grammatical skills of a 12 year old. I mean really, how many extensive, analytical papers do engineering majors write in college?

For chrissakes, she spelled "collage" on her thesis cover page?? I'll give her the misspell on the PPT slides, but on her thesis?? And her advisors didn't catch that?? Maybe that's how they spell college in the Navy...

And a big "2" on most engineer's ability to write - it's a perfect example of being smart without common sense. Back in college we used to say "I always wanted to be an inginner..now I are one".

It might even be considered too favorable for both.

Ironically, I think that's the OP's point. May I gently suggest that your present status hasn't afforded you opportunities to realize just why...?

By the time anyone pins on captain (talking ops world here, it may be different elsewhere), they can cite several examples of a woman who has progressed far beyond what her capabilities/performance should dictate--because everyone's afraid of the repercussions of doing otherwise. BTW, this typically pisses off the women who are worth a shit FAR more than it does the men, since it calls into question their own qualifications ("she got there just because she's a chick")....

I think the minorities question is a different one, at least within the military. There are individuals in the military (as anywhere else) who harbor racial prejudices--but, institutionally, I've never seen any in the USAF once you get past the preferential school admissions (ROTC/USAFA)....

The performance report does include the words "unlimited potential" even though it has a #1 strat (wtf?) Not sure if the Navy uses the same secret codes as the AF, but that wording is a death knell on an OPR.

Ironically, I think that's the OP's point. May I gently suggest that your present status hasn't afforded you opportunities to realize just why...?

By the time anyone pins on captain (talking ops world here, it may be different elsewhere), they can cite several examples of a woman who has progressed far beyond what her capabilities/performance should dictate--because everyone's afraid of the repercussions of doing otherwise. BTW, this typically pisses off the women who are worth a shit FAR more than it does the men, since it calls into question their own qualifications ("she got there just because she's a chick")....

I wondered about this for a little while and even asked a few long-time serving people here about it. It sucks a bag of dick that someone has to progress through their career questioning whether they are deserving of their position, but I guess at that point you can be a good enough character judge to either be truly proud of yourself or be ashamed that people feel the need to protect themselves and the institution from something that should not matter.

I think the minorities question is a different one, at least within the military. There are individuals in the military (as anywhere else) who harbor racial prejudices--but, institutionally, I've never seen any in the USAF once you get past the preferential school admissions (ROTC/USAFA)....

My experience goes as far as ROTC, but I have only ever had someone say one thing about a minority. I think it was meant as a joke, but got taken out of context. I hear far more crap from outside the detachment. People can hold whatever personal prejudices they want, but they will still not stop someone from achieving their goals. As far as university admissions go, you do not want to open that can of worms. Well, may you do, but...

Edited by Masshole

Her degrees are in engineering. I absolutely find it possible that one could be a whiz when it comes to physics but have the grammatical skills of a 12 year old. I mean really, how many extensive, analytical papers do engineering majors write in college?

Actually, engineers write a large number of "extensive analytical papers" during college, or at least they do where I go

For chrissakes, she spelled "collage" on her thesis cover page?? I'll give her the misspell on the PPT slides, but on her thesis?? And her advisors didn't catch that?? Maybe that's how they spell college in the Navy...

And a big "2" on most engineer's ability to write - it's a perfect example of being smart without common sense. Back in college we used to say "I always wanted to be an inginner..now I are one".

Not sure where you guys went to school, but technical/analytical writing skills are required to be a successful engineer.

Actually, engineers write a large number of "extensive analytical papers" during college, or at least they do where I go

Not sure where you guys went to school, but technical/analytical writing skills are required to be a successful engineer.

I got my EE degree back in the vacuum tube days (well, maybe transistors..doing Fortran programs with punch cards), and only had to take 2 basic English classes. I was being a tad sarcastic in my post, but you have to admit a lot of engineers tend to be crappy writers. Just ask any tech writer what they think of engineer's writing styles.

Times are changing, technical writing classes are standard now, all the lab classes are based on both experiments and analytical writing skills. I see where you're coming from though, the classes standard now are no doubt due to the lack of writing skills engineers had in the past.

I worked as a professional engineer for several years. I saw emails and powerpoints come across my desk all the time from guys who were qualified to build the world's most advanced space systems that -- except for the technical jargon -- were written at around a 6th or 7th grade level.

http://www.dtic.mil/...oc?AD=ADA496974

The NPS thesis is pretty real. And the writing is not much better...

Yeah, and according to page iii, she still claims to have attended Southern University and A&M "Collage".

(Just in case, it is the south after all, I googled the school.. it is, in fact, a "college")

Edit: asked and answered...

Edited by Shortbus
  • Upvote 1

FWIW, I have seen an O-5 allow .ppt slides like this (i.e. missing "s" and "ed" a the end of words) make their way up to a Wing Staff Meeting. Said slides were made by a female African-American secretary and he'd rather the WG/CC think he was an idiot than correct the secretary on her grammar. It is entirely possible this chick has made it her entire educational/military career and no one has pointed out that you make words plural by adding an "s" and past tense by adding "ed". In our society, if you point out that someone is using ebonics, you might as well be saying the n-word.

In our society, if you point out that someone is using ebonics, you might as well be saying the n-word.

Please.

FWIW, I have seen an O-5 allow .ppt slides like this (i.e. missing "s" and "ed" a the end of words) make their way up to a Wing Staff Meeting. Said slides were made by a female African-American secretary and he'd rather the WG/CC think he was an idiot than correct the secretary on her grammar. It is entirely possible this chick has made it her entire educational/military career and no one has pointed out that you make words plural by adding an "s" and past tense by adding "ed". In our society, if you point out that someone is using ebonics, you might as well be saying the n-word.

Sorry, but if I had someone working for me who wrote like an idiot, and they were supposed to be a professional with a Master's degree, I'd call them on it. Race has nothing to do with it, although I'm sure enough people use that as an excuse.

While I do believe that the inclusion of the double-panther, Swat team in action animation, and Bill of Rights / Rattlesnake combo makes this .ppt presentation AWESOME worthy, our Lt missed the mark for EPIC status by forgetting to include the "Mountain with 3 Wolves Howling" graphic...

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002HJ377A

I'm worried her strat on her next PR will reflect this ommision

Edited by Bullet

The performance report does include the words "unlimited potential" even though it has a #1 strat (wtf?) Not sure if the Navy uses the same secret codes as the AF, but that wording is a death knell on an OPR.

If I remember correctly, the Navy is opposite to the AF WRT "potential." Where potential in the AF means you're not doing anything, potential in the Navy gets you promoted, and "unlimited potential" is akin to a 1/X strat.

I can absolutely believe this is legit.

Chalk up another win for the great state of Louisiana. Ugh.

More pictures of your lady in yellow there would go far to offset these shennanigans.

I need to know more about this Raspberry - seriously she is a case study in why, even though her UDM/Safety/Records Management program is top notch, we will not be ready for the next big th-ang that kicks off. At least not all of us. (Why did she send this ppt in the first place, looking for a promotion/new job/full of herself/really proud of the Panther graphic?)

Someone reach out to a Navy pro and let me know if she's been shit canned or promoted yet.