Rainbow

Guest bobcat

We recently had the "Rainbow" deployment schedule shoved down out throats. All the tanker units had this vs. the AEF buckets put to a vote. The vote was 9 to 8 in favor with two units not showing up to vote. The new schedule is 1 1/2 crews, 1-2 planes, and 1 staff for the forseable future in the desert. I understand that about 6 months ago, the active duty stopped allowing guardsmen to volunteer for deployments. It looks like this was to get units hungry enough to vote this in. It barely worked because the economy is bad and many needed this "jobs program". Can anyone tell me when, exactly, guardsmen were stopped from being allowed to deploy? I'm contacting my elected officials to explain how bad a deal this is for the Guard. If we could simply go back to a volunteer schedule, life would be better for all of us. Thank you. brbobcat@hotmail.com

We recently had the "Rainbow" deployment schedule shoved down out throats. All the tanker units had this vs. the AEF buckets put to a vote. The vote was 9 to 8 in favor with two units not showing up to vote. The new schedule is 1 1/2 crews, 1-2 planes, and 1 staff for the forseable future in the desert. I understand that about 6 months ago, the active duty stopped allowing guardsmen to volunteer for deployments. It looks like this was to get units hungry enough to vote this in. It barely worked because the economy is bad and many needed this "jobs program". Can anyone tell me when, exactly, guardsmen were stopped from being allowed to deploy? I'm contacting my elected officials to explain how bad a deal this is for the Guard. If we could simply go back to a volunteer schedule, life would be better for all of us. Thank you. brbobcat@hotmail.com

As a whole, I'm not sure which is better, Rainbow or Bucket. I think for me personally, the Rainbow works in my benefit. Being a traditional, I will get the pre and post-deployment benefits, 3 months of tax free, and this time around, missing the summer heat that was going to be coming my way. I guess to each his own.

Edited by fou

I understand that about 6 months ago, the active duty stopped allowing guardsmen to volunteer for deployments. It looks like this was to get units hungry enough to vote this in. It barely worked because the economy is bad and many needed this "jobs program". Can anyone tell me when, exactly, guardsmen were stopped from being allowed to deploy?

That is not entirely true. The AD never "stopped us from volunteering to deploy", they simply withdrew the (basically unlimited) MPA day funding that the AD units had been using to send us in lieu of their own personnel. Secondly, the ANG was not getting deployment credit for those of us who were "augmenting" the AD, and that became a sticking point. The AD would point to the ANG and say, "You aren't doing your part!" but would neglect to mention that almost 20% of their deployed crews were ANG volunteers who were showing up as AD peeps. So NGB pulled the plug on that. All of this happened on/about 1 Oct 10 when the current FY budget started.

So now we can volunteer as much as we want, and the ANG will get the kudos. It's just too bad we coughed up Spain to start sending more crews to the Deid. Only a matter of time before AD screws up the current good deal in Spain.

Thank you for the clarification on that and help with the dates. Our unit is currently undermanned and having difficulty recruiting people (Alaska). All the good deals that would attract people to here have dried up and we don't have as many aircraft as some units (less manning). The verbage that came down with the Rainbow does not allow us to shortfall some of the positions. We can barely cover the taskings as is and this may be another nail in the coffin for future BRAC decisions. We have been doing the AEF buckets for years, but this increases our aircrew requirement by about 150%.

Is this news developing from the TFI convention at Pease?

Because it is my LIMITED understanding that they are trying to mobilize the Guard...thus active duty going to Spain and Guard picking up a TON of the lines for OEF/OIF. Talking to a certain 3 star today he definitely sounded like he wanted to drop the ops tempo for AD Tanker guys.

Is this news developing from the TFI convention at Pease?

This happened last October. A few of McConnell's lines were always covered by the Guard, not the case anymore.

Because it is my LIMITED understanding that they are trying to mobilize the Guard...thus active duty going to Spain and Guard picking up a TON of the lines for OEF/OIF.

There is a lot of buzz about that around the 340th. No definite answers, still too far out. The way things go in the desert, nothing is for sure until the gear is in the wells. Guys have been extended after their bags were already on the re-deployer...

Talking to a certain 3 star today he definitely sounded like he wanted to drop the ops tempo for AD Tanker guys.

They have been saying that to every GRACC class for the past 18 months. However, that is impossible unless the rest of the Air Force stops flying...and that aint happening. Everyone I know has lubed up for the long haul.

Edited by snizz

This happened last October. A few of McConnell's lines were always covered by the Guard, not the case anymore.

Ref my earlier statement concerning MPA funding being cut. Words from AMC lead me to believe that other platforms were the worst offenders (i.e. guys at home station on continuous MPA orders for, literally, years). The tanker guys who were actually deploying on MPA got caught in the cross fire.

There is a lot of buzz about that around the 340th. No definite answers, still too far out. The way things go in the desert, nothing is for sure until the gear is in the wells. Guys have been extended after their bags were already on the re-deployer...

I don't have the official numbers, but IMHO there will be a shitload (eventually ~18 jets and 30 crews) of ANG folks rolling in there beginning in October. I'll be there with two crews and one jet FWIW. Beers on me at the Fox bar.

Time will tell how this all works out, but for now I am predicting the mother of all Charlie Foxtrots as the AD moves out of the Deid and into the OUP location. I just left OUP and the AD hadn't even started to plan for the transition (they will be taking over 1 Oct supposedly). Many of us were asking what the plan was and responses such as, "We'll just extend the guard guys til 1 Nov" were common. Good luck with that! It blows my mind that AD wing and squadron leadership don't have the smallest clue how the guard/reserve work. Guess what bubbas, you can't just wave a magic want and force us to stay! We're taking our toys and headin' to the house.

$69 says the AD will have that place totally fucked up by the end of the year. Rode with the Wg/CV over there last week and he mentioned that, "O-6s at USAFE are already asking me why we don't restrict everyone to base and make them wear PTs". NSTFS. YGBSM.

For those of you wondering, the switch has been brought about primarily because the ANG/Reserve commanders do not have mobilization authority for OUP and were thus having trouble filling lines for much of the summer. Why, I have no idea. So looks like the Deid is it...some units doing "voluntold 30 days" and some doing "activation for 60 days". There was also some talk of better benefits when ARC folks go to CENTCOM, which is quite true, but I find it hard to believe that trying to hook a few guard bums up is the reason we are leaving the other location.

Beers on me at the Fox bar.

If you're buyin I'm drinkin! :drinking:

I am predicting the mother of all Charlie Foxtrots as the AD moves out of the Deid and into the OUP location. I just left OUP and the AD hadn't even started to plan for the transition (they will be taking over 1 Oct supposedly). Many of us were asking what the plan was and responses such as, "We'll just extend the guard guys til 1 Nov" were common.

The transition just started. Is the chow hall open yet, or are they still serving out of the O Club? Are the flight lunches still the same box nastys? Most importantly, are they still doing missed meals?

$69 says the AD will have that place totally ######ed up by the end of the year. Rode with the Wg/CV over there last week and he mentioned that, "O-6s at USAFE are already asking me why we don't restrict everyone to base and make them wear PTs". NSTFS. YGBSM.

Updates to policy: Civies allowed off duty and off base travel is encouraged. There is no three drink rule. However, as soon as someone ######s up it is PT Gear all the time, so pack like you are going to the AFCENT just in case.