BX renovations.....a waste or worth it

lilbigman

I tried but the red tape nazi's thought it would compete with the financial planning classes at the family support center.

Why doesn't the family center just hold the FPU course then??? Can't have that now, can we? A program with a proven track record of helping people get out of debt and build wealth has no place in that building, right?

Jeez.... We do it to ourselves. So shortsighted.

I think most officers don't understand the reality of the average elisted family. Most young familes in the Air Force have either both parents in the Air Force or one in the Air Force and another employed elsewhere. Since we have decided to pay our enlisted kids somewhere at or below the poverty level (hence the second working parent), providing some form of child care for working parents is mission required. The fact is that your bridge doesn't keep airplanes turning. Having an organization that supports young families does. Nobody is prying money out of your hands. Instead, we're taking the profits from the company store and applying it to the areas that would best improve the overall base quality of life. Could the store be better? Yes. Are the laws that govern military construction asinine? Absolutely. Is it wise that AAFES and DECA are legally seperated? Probably not. Is accessesable and affordable child care a mission requirement for a base? Definately.

As a long time enlisted man, I don't sympathize. Both parents don't NEED to work. You just need to cut your f'in expenses. You don't get paid like that. Your wife should stay home and watch your kids. You are a sucky parent, if your wife doesn't raise your kids and your kids will suffer for it. My wife and I would rather be dipped in shit, than to have someone else raise our kids - especially the government. As far as the pay goes, that is the deal you signed. If you want to get paid like an O, go be an O. Grow up. Where else can you walk out of high school into a good paying job with the best bennies anywhere and a retirement at the end? Oh and they pay for your school? My Master's is almost done and I owe nothing to anyone. Man the fvck up.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Your wife should stay home and watch your kids. You are a sucky parent, if your wife doesn't raise your kids and your kids will suffer for it. My wife and I would rather be dipped in shit, than to have someone else raise our kids - especially the government.

Holy judgement Batman! Are we really against decent, affordable child care here? And how does your niffy solution work for single parents?

Heh, that's a whole different can of worms, too. The whole idea that you can't enlist as a single parent, but if you become one later, may Robin Olds have mercy on your soul. That situation sucks, and a lot of times (read: accidental or combat death) it is through no fault of the service member. Of course, other times it involves a 5th of Military Special and some other questionable decisions.

We already give higher BAH, COLA, etc. for "with dependents." People can choose to use that extra money wisely or they can get a bigger house they don't need. Either way, there's enough of that already and we don't need any more extras. People just need to be responsible.

It's not always a choice dude. Not saying there's not some merit to what you said based on SOME people, but your statement does not apply to everyone with kids.

So we will finance their childcare...but only through the CDC and not through any daycare centers off-base? Even if it's cheaper? Guess I'm not following the whole logic train there.

No, I was saying financing their childcare period is crap. They get extra money for having children through things like COLA, BAH/OHA, BAS, etc. That extra money should be used wisely to pay for dependent related costs...that's the whole point of "with dependents" additions.

No, I was saying financing their childcare period is crap. They get extra money for having children through things like COLA, BAH/OHA, BAS, etc. That extra money should be used wisely to pay for dependent related costs...that's the whole point of "with dependents" additions.

Do you have kids, man?

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing fine, and I was doing fine before we expanded our family, but it ain't that much more money.... And childcare ain't cheap. Just saying.

Do you have kids, man?

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing fine, and I was doing fine before we expanded our family, but it ain't that much more money.... And childcare ain't cheap. Just saying.

Yep...I'm aware of the costs. I definitely am a supporter of the "with dependents" additions because we do need that extra money. I guess I came off more callous than I intended...I just don't like seeing my money (or anyone elses for that matter) taken to pay for someone else who can't afford child care, but drives a BMW (seen it). I know that's not representative of everyone out there needing CDC stuff, but regardless of rank, members should be able to make it work with smart financial decisions...and that does include not having 5 kids when you're only an A1C. Like everything I suppose it depends and there are truly good people out there who need some help, I just wish there was a good way to sort between them and BMW dude.

There is 0 extra money gained from having a kid unless you are overseas and even then its a small jump in COLA and COLA only.

Having a kid in order to get more money is like getting married to get more pussy...ain't gonna happen.

Your stock sky-rocketed, in my book, with this comment!

Yep...I'm aware of the costs. I definitely am a supporter of the "with dependents" additions because we do need that extra money. I guess I came off more callous than I intended...I just don't like seeing my money (or anyone elses for that matter) taken to pay for someone else who can't afford child care, but drives a BMW (seen it). I know that's not representative of everyone out there needing CDC stuff, but regardless of rank, members should be able to make it work with smart financial decisions...and that does include not having 5 kids when you're only an A1C. Like everything I suppose it depends and there are truly good people out there who need some help, I just wish there was a good way to sort between them and BMW dude.

Good point, and I agree. I guess I just had my shit together before we decided to have kids.

Edited by Champ Kind

Having a kid in order to get more money is like getting married to get more pussy...ain't gonna happen.

Well said! :beer:

I guess I just had my shit together before we decided to have kids

And that's what it's all about. Doesn't matter if you're an A1C or a Capt...you can get your shit together and make it work within your personal financial means.

I guess I just had my shit together before we decided to have kids.

Keep it together...I have three in college and a Jr in high school. Pampers ain't got nothin on what college tuition can do to ya.

IMO, AAFES just isn't that big of benefit and really isn't worth fighting for. If Congress is still looking for a way to cut some more expenses, they can have AAFES if it means my retirement goes forever untouched.

Shack! And to the guy who made the FPU comments; I agree 100%, FPU should be fvcking mandatory for all noobs at their first base on both the E and O side. Yes, I have taken the class (about 2 yrs ago) and wish someone would have passed that knowledge to me back in 1981. Sure we would have had to use whale oil lamps to light the classroom but the info would have been great to have.

I definitely am a supporter of the "with dependents" additions because we do need that extra money.

and

I just don't like seeing my money (or anyone elses for that matter) taken to pay for someone else who can't afford child care, but drives a BMW (seen it).

Anyone else see a contradiction here...?

Fuckin' A.

It is an all volunteer force. It is not easy to attract and retain high quality airmen. Many of the people who make the machines fly get paid practically nothing. However, they are human beings and they want to get married and have families. That's not a crime. The vast majority of airmen are not big pimpin' in their Escalades with 20 kids and looking for some sort of handout from the officer corps...unless something has changed dramatically in the last couple years.

I sold one of my cars to wrench bending airmen at 25% of the KBB value on several of my PCS moves. These were hard working kids who I had observed kicking ass in all weather on deployments and at home. I knew they had families and I knew things were tight but I never heard them complain. I always did this very quietly, folks wouldn't even know since I would drop the car off the night before I drove off base with my family.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for all of you to hate on gypsy low life lazy airmen with their scores of filthy offspring for somehow reaching into your wallets and fucking you out of great hunting opportunities on base and the like.

However, I would suggest you focus instead on all the shit hot airmen who would be uplifted in a meaningful way if you did something as simple as ask them how their family is doing.

WWROD?

Technique only.

Anyone else see a contradiction here...?

No, I specifically referenced the "BMW dude" if you will. I also clearly stated I know that doesn't apply to everyone. Call me an asshole, but I am not a supporter of handouts, and my opinion doesn't change just because you're in the military. My argument was you already get extra money for having dependents, so why do SOME people expect even more? Again, for those who have a difficult time reading, I fully understand there are plenty of good people in the military who need some help and are not like d-bag, generic "BMW guy."