What if I actually want to fly a....

Guest decoy

Well the impression that I got from searching threads about the RC-135 and C-21 (no luck with finding other airframes in the search) is that most pilots would rather get something else in their UPT drop. I think the electronic surveillance, recon, and VIP transport missions are interesting, but from what I gathered on this forum is that, if you're interested, in UPT you can hope to get a C-21 but that is it. How would one be assigned to one of the other airframes, like the Gulfstream? I'm sure these squadrons have a demand for a new pilots as their older ones retire.

Thanks

Edited by decoy

Well the impression that I got from searching threads about the RC-135 and C-21 (no luck with finding other airframes in the search) is that most pilots would rather get something else in their UPT drop. I think the electronic surveillance, recon, and VIP transport missions are interesting, but from what I gathered on this forum is that, if you're interested, in UPT you can hope to get a C-21 but that is it. How would one be assigned to one of the other airframes, like the Gulfstream? I'm sure these squadrons have a demand for a new pilots as their older ones retire.

Thanks

DV lift missions typically hire from other airframes...get some experience and ask around, there will be plenty of advice on how to get there once you have the hours. The RC-135 community is smaller than others but they do drop on occasion. I am not in AETC, but from past posts on this board it has always been suggested to let your Flight/CC know you are interested. If he/she is worth their salt they will ask the question higher and see if they can get one in the drop.

Decoy, where are you at in your career right now? Guessing ROTC or maybe awaiting UPT? Best attitude you can go in with is wanting to serve and being ready to accept anything out of UPT including a UAV. That said, I think your impressions may be a little off. Most DV airlift or OSA (operational support airlift) airframes are extremely sought after assignments. As far as OSA goes, C-21s or C-12s will be your only option out of pilot training and opportunities are extremely limited as there are not that many airframes around. C-9 assignments are long gone as far as I am aware (there may be a DV-9 or 2 left in the inventory but no UPT assignments to them). "Big OSA" i.e. C-40, C-20, C-37s don't typically take a guy until he's had at least 2 operational assignments and are highly competitive at that point. As far as the other "undesireables" such as E-3s, RC-135s, Tankers, etc, most guys coming out of UPT these days are happy to get to a cockpit and these airframes don't have nearly the stigma they had when I went through. Best advice: don't suck at UPT, don't screw your buddies, and take the best assignment you can when you graduate. If you wan't RJs or AWACS have at 'em. Not a bad lifestyle these days from what I hear. BTW, I took C-21s out of pilot training and it was the best assignment I'll ever have in the AF. Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies.. and I did not mean to offend anyone by calling them undesirable, in fact I was reading the long C-21 thread and I was really fascinated by how fun the mission and the airframe seem (Prozac I think you might have even posted in it) but there were guys who, for whatever reason, were taking potshots at anyone who was interested in flying the C-21.

Anyways thanks for the advice

Edited by decoy

I fly the E-8 and actually really like it. It was far from my first choice at UPT, but knowing what i know now it would be close to if not AT the top. PM me uf you want more info, but you'll find most dudes really do like their jet, and there are no bad assignments...well, except preds.

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite

You'll find very few people who don't like the airframe they're flying. Pros and Cons to everything. As was said earlier, go into UPT knowing that you could get anything no matter where you place in the class and put forth your best effort. God will take care of the rest and put you exactly where you need to be.

And your perspective changes completely once you are out of UPT...For example, the C-17 is a sweet plane and looks really cool so most people want it out of T-1s, but be ready to get your nuts kicked in with a pretty rough, unpredictable lifestyle. Granted, as mentioned above, there are pros and cons to every airframe so just really do your research before picking. I read posts here that say people would rather kill themselves than go RPAs, but in reality, a bunch of people are volunteering to go to them from AMC because after a few years of not being able to plan a week in advance, it gets pretty tiresome. Remember, the view from a cockpit is inside out, and no one really cares how "cool" the plane is....Lifestyle is King...UPT gives terrible poop when it comes time to helping choose the best airframe for you. So, take the decision seriously and don't arbitrarily pick an airframe based on its perceived prestige or coolness factor.

Edited by spaw2001
  • Upvote 3

'2' to those before me.

There really is no way of knowing what a "bad assignment" is from what other people say, because you will build your own opinion through different experiences and perspectives. From my experience, it isn't the airframe, mission, or even location that makes an assignment "less desirable," it is the temporarily shitty leadership, personnel, regulations, schedules, or burdens on the family aspect. In the end, the difference between good and bad is what efforts you made to make the best of something you initially may not have been too excited about.

FWIW, the RC-135 and its five separate variants and equally different missions are pretty sweet gigs. Good luck to you!

And your perspective changes completely once you are out of UPT...For example, the C-17 is a sweet plane and looks really cool so most people want it out of T-1s, but be ready to get your nuts kicked in with a pretty rough, unpredictable lifestyle. Granted, as mentioned above, there are pros and cons to every airframe so just really do your research before picking. I read posts here that say people would rather kill themselves than go RPAs, but in reality, a bunch of people are volunteering to go to them from AMC because after a few years of not being able to plan a week in advance, it gets pretty tiresome. Remember, the view from a cockpit is inside out, and no one really cares how "cool" the plane is....Lifestyle is King...UPT gives terrible poop when it comes time to helping choose the best airframe for you. So, take the decision seriously and don't arbitrarily pick an airframe based on its perceived prestige or coolness factor.

Spot On

For example, the C-17 is a sweet plane and looks really cool so most people want it out of T-1s, but be ready to get your nuts kicked in with a pretty rough, unpredictable lifestyle.

Eh, on the whole I look back on my time in the '17 fairly positively... I only say that because when I was in UPT we had a couple of '17 folks try to tell us how "bad" it was. Yeah, you're gone a lot, but I didn't think it was that bad. I worked hard, I had fun. I say make an informed decision, but don't let folks talk you out of what you really want.

Pick a mission and hope you get it.

The only thing about the airplane you fly that matters is what it looks like from the inside of the jet looking out, not the other way around.

Guest Hueypilot812

It's real simple...pick the mission you want to do, and go from there. Every airframe has positives and negatives, so it's a toss up otherwise. "Lifestyle", TDY, locations...all that is relative, and all subject to change.

So, take the decision seriously and don't arbitrarily pick an airframe based on its perceived prestige or coolness factor.

True, but don't be afraid to pick an airframe based on color. You know what they say, "Once you go black..."

Yes, we're still hiring.

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 1