Anywhere Maps GPS?

Napoleon_Tanerite

I've been considering getting a Garmin 695 for a while, but recently stumbled across the Anywhere Duo. It looks promising, but I really have no knowledge about them. On paper it looks great, but I can't find any real practical information about how it is. I'd like to use it as an SA backup due to an often questionable on-board navigation system.

I use Anywhere + WX on an HP PDA--primarily for the NEXRAD (over XM), but it's a reasonable hand-help GPS navigator in its own right. Probably the best part of Anywhere is that it's platform-independent. I'm not familiar w/ the Duo--I assume it's one of the few "purpose built" models they have (which, typically, are simply off-the-shelf devices that are branded & set up to work specifically w/ the software). However, if you get the software (that's what you're really paying for) and later change or upgrade your hardware, you only pay for the hardware difference. They offer a really good deal on lifetime subscriptions ($300-ish bucks each for the GPS and the approach plates), which is a no-brainer if you plan to use the service for more than two years. They're allegedly "this close" to releasing a version to work on the iPad, which will cinch my own purchase of that toy.

If you're only looking for SA backup, your real buying point should be on how much you like the display, since that's about the one thing you're absolutely stuck with once you buy a particular piece of hardware. You can probably find someone who has the software at your local FBO (the same program runs on a PC, so you can play with it to see if you like the interface, and then decide if a given display does/doesn't work for you). If your onboard nav is "questionable" enough that you want to go this route, I assume your weather radar may not be top-notch either--in which case I predict you'll also want to spring for the XM. I know my GA x-country flying is a much different picture than before I got it....

What's your electric power source story like on the airplane? Most handheld GPS' eat batteries, so you'll probably need to figure that out....

I use Anywhere + WX on an HP PDA--primarily for the NEXRAD (over XM), but it's a reasonable hand-help GPS navigator in its own right. Probably the best part of Anywhere is that it's platform-independent. I'm not familiar w/ the Duo--I assume it's one of the few "purpose built" models they have (which, typically, are simply off-the-shelf devices that are branded & set up to work specifically w/ the software). However, if you get the software (that's what you're really paying for) and later change or upgrade your hardware, you only pay for the hardware difference. They offer a really good deal on lifetime subscriptions ($300-ish bucks each for the GPS and the approach plates), which is a no-brainer if you plan to use the service for more than two years. They're allegedly "this close" to releasing a version to work on the iPad, which will cinch my own purchase of that toy.

If you're only looking for SA backup, your real buying point should be on how much you like the display, since that's about the one thing you're absolutely stuck with once you buy a particular piece of hardware. You can probably find someone who has the software at your local FBO (the same program runs on a PC, so you can play with it to see if you like the interface, and then decide if a given display does/doesn't work for you). If your onboard nav is "questionable" enough that you want to go this route, I assume your weather radar may not be top-notch either--in which case I predict you'll also want to spring for the XM. I know my GA x-country flying is a much different picture than before I got it....

What's your electric power source story like on the airplane? Most handheld GPS' eat batteries, so you'll probably need to figure that out....

115v 60Hz AC available from convenient 3 prong outlets :aviator:

Get a 696 or an Aera 510. . .If you have any doubts about the capability, shoot me a pm and I'll let you demo either, or both. we had the 695/696 eval'd at wright-patt and they are approved. battery will last 9 hours with the backlight down and equipped with 100k topo it has almost as much resolution as google-earth. Also has geo-referenced world-wide approach plates.

Can't go wrong with the trusty 496 either, they've been buzzing around in mil-aircarft for years. .

Edited by bagasticks

I'm nearly certain I'm stating the obvious here... but don't forget the XM Wx will not work OCONUS.

I actually got an email back from the company that they don't have any OCONUS database stuff, so they're suddenly a LOT less appealing, since getting lost over CONUS isn't really a big concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Used one on my last deployment (the toughbook that is)---a little bulky, but you get used to it. (True on many fronts)

Very easy to overlay ACO airpace/AR tracks/ROZs/kill boxes, etc. Only sucks when it goes past 0000Z. You lose the GPS sig until you log back in.

• 3 weeks later...

The 696/5 is pretty cool - they just got an update for geo-referenced approach plates. However, if it was just a GA question, XM will be harder to rationalize when all the ADS-B (FIS-B) weather stuff comes online. - no subscription, a few of the newer handheld have the ability to be updated to receive the FIS-B weather for display.