Aerobatic General Aviation plane info

Bergman

• 3 weeks later...

I tried searching and I'm pretty sure I read all the pages of this thread, but I couldn't find anything on Sonex. Anyone have any experience with them? They seem pretty sweet- cheap, simple, can take auto fuel, and aero-capable. Also, the website makes it out to be a fairly easy-to-operate tail-dragger (if you choose that option over the tricycle gear). If I missed some info somewhere, please point me in the right direction.

I tried searching and I'm pretty sure I read all the pages of this thread, but I couldn't find anything on Sonex. Anyone have any experience with them? They seem pretty sweet- cheap, simple, can take auto fuel, and aero-capable. Also, the website makes it out to be a fairly easy-to-operate tail-dragger (if you choose that option over the tricycle gear). If I missed some info somewhere, please point me in the right direction.

Here's the American Sonex Association website, a Sonex online builder's log, and two different forum threads with some info about the Sonex vs. RV-12 debate.

Here's the American Sonex Association website, a Sonex online builder's log, and two different forum threads with some info about the Sonex vs. RV-12 debate.

I'm actually planning to start on a Sonex or Waiex some time this summer! I've been researching for about a year, and it just seems like the most economical thing you can build if you want aerobatics and decent cross country ability. I went to their workshop in Oshkosh back in February (I live in Milwaukee which is like 1.5 hours from there), and they went over how to do pretty much everything you'd need to know to built the plane. It seems a lot easier than I originally had thought! They say you can build a kit in about 800-1000 hours of work, which is not bad. The total price with the airframe kit, engine, and the basic avionics you'd need is supposed to add up to around $30k.

I guess this is actually my first post here, even though I've been lurking since last summer! But I couldn't stay out of this discussion :thumbsup:

I'm a mechanical engineer/pilot applicant for OTS. So basically I am bored and looking for a big project to mess around with until/if I can ever get picked up by the AF. There's my intro!

I'm actually planning to start on a Sonex or Waiex some time this summer!

thanks for the info and a great first post. Good luck with your project, I am glad someone likes those airplanes...they just don't appeal to me. The look like my Son's lego man took a square dump. Nice performance for the price though.

thanks for the info and a great first post. Good luck with your project, I am glad someone likes those airplanes...they just don't appeal to me. The look like my Son's lego man took a square dump. Nice performance for the price though.

Yeah I agree they're a little goofy looking. Not as pretty as the RV's but the goofiness has grown on me!

They have some pretty cool projects going up there at Sonex too. When I visited in February they were testing a single place folding-wing model, which I think is for sale now. I guess with the wings folded up it's only as wide as a car! They also had a jet-powered model that they're testing but I don't think it has flown yet. That probably won't come out any time soon, if ever, though.

Here's a pretty nice cockpit video:

It just seems like a simple, fun airplane! :salut:

• Upvote 1

So, when are you going to breakdown and build the jet-powered Sonex?

Maybe by the time I'm done with the first one I build, the jet kit will be available! Cool as it is, I don't think I'm an experienced enough plane builder (having no experience and all that) to buy a regular Sonex airframe kit and adapt it to a jet engine. So I'll wait until they finish designing it first :rock:

I took a couple pitures of it when I was there though, I'll have to post them up later when I'm home from work.

Edited by spaceman

Ah yes, jet powered Sonex;

Here are a few more pictures! I guess they couldn't find a jet engine small enough for their plane, so they got some R/C jet manufacturer to just make a bigger version of their model plane engine. It's tiny!

The cockpit setup is also pretty slick with the side stick. They weren't letting anyone sit in this one though so I couldn't try it out.

post-13999-0-33728800-1309352914_thumb.jpost-13999-0-67023300-1309352928_thumb.jpost-13999-0-47782700-1309352919_thumb.j

My dad just started building a Waiex. I'm away at college, but hope to help him with the build when I visit home. He went with the Waiex (not sure how he picked between the Sonex and Waiex). He picked the Waiex over the RV-12 simply because the Waiex can do aerobatics.

I'm actually planning to start on a Sonex or Waiex some time this summer! I've been researching for about a year, and it just seems like the most economical thing you can build if you want aerobatics and decent cross country ability. I went to their workshop in Oshkosh back in February (I live in Milwaukee which is like 1.5 hours from there), and they went over how to do pretty much everything you'd need to know to built the plane. It seems a lot easier than I originally had thought! They say you can build a kit in about 800-1000 hours of work, which is not bad. The total price with the airframe kit, engine, and the basic avionics you'd need is supposed to add up to around $30k.

Apparently if you attended the workshop, you can order the tail kit for a discount with free shipping. My dad got a tail kit and figured that, worst comes to worse, if he finishes the tail kit and decides its not for him, he's only $750 in the hole and knows building is for him or not.

No doubt, the Waiex isn't much of a looker, especially compared to a RV-12 (the best looking LSA available, IMO). But as mentioned above, Waiex's are relatively affordable and can do some aerobatics, so that sold my dad.

First rib completed June 27th:

Sonexribandhat.jpg

He went with the Waiex (not sure how he picked between the Sonex and Waiex).

IIRC, the only difference between the Sonex and Waiex is the Waiex's V-tail; the flying qualities of both airplanes are very similar (I recall reading this in a Kitplanes article - I don't have first-hand experience with either airplane in any capacity).

There's a not-insignificant number of builders who won't build an RV-x simply because "they're a dime a dozen" (even if an RV-x is the best fit for their personal mission), and choose their E-AB airplane based on what's not common within their EAA chapter/flying club/airport/social group/whatever. Maybe he just liked the looks of the V-tail...

My dad just started building a Waiex. I'm away at college, but hope to help him with the build when I visit home. He went with the Waiex (not sure how he picked between the Sonex and Waiex). He picked the Waiex over the RV-12 simply because the Waiex can do aerobatics.

Nice! Yeah when I started shopping originally, I was only familiar with RV's. Then I started looking at the RV-12 since it's cheaper than the bigger RV's, and that ended up leading me to Sonex. The Sonex is way cheaper than an RV-12 and it can do aerobatics, which I really wanted.

Apparently if you attended the workshop, you can order the tail kit for a discount with free shipping. My dad got a tail kit and figured that, worst comes to worse, if he finishes the tail kit and decides its not for him, he's only $750 in the hole and knows building is for him or not.

I think I'll start with just the tail too, for the same reasons. Also, if you go to the workshop and then buy a kit later, they'll take the $200 you paid for the workshop off the kit price, so it's effectively free. I'm pretty sure if you already bought a kit they'll let you just show up and do the workshop for free too.

IIRC, the only difference between the Sonex and Waiex is the Waiex's V-tail; the flying qualities of both airplanes are very similar

Yeah, from what I've read (and what they said at the workshop), they both fly identically, so it's just up to what you prefer as far as looks. I'm leaning towards the Waiex, just because it's already a weird looking plane so I might as well go all the way weird.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice looking plane Evil. I'm jealous of your commute!

Thanks - it's about to be up for sale. No more commuting for me! (and we are getting something bigger for traveling)

Don't be jealous of the commute... it's been fun, but sea fog, no spares, $65/day in gas, restricted areas, Blue Angel practice, getting stuck for wx and daily gulf coast t-storms have made it a hassle. I'm ready to stop the air-commute. One month left!

Thanks - it's about to be up for sale. No more commuting for me! (and we are getting something bigger for traveling)

Don't be jealous of the commute... it's been fun, but sea fog, no spares, $65/day in gas, restricted areas, Blue Angel practice, getting stuck for wx and daily gulf coast t-storms have made it a hassle. I'm ready to stop the air-commute. One month left!

How much are you looking to sell for and can you do aerobatics in your plane? What are you looking at buying next?

I'm not sure what we're going to ask for it yet, going in for annual this week. I wanted to make sure there's nothing going on with it before I put it on the market.

You can do basic aero in it, no inverted systems, so I just stick to rolls, wifferdills, etc.

We're looking at a 210 - maybe an A36 Bo. Want something we can travel in.

I'm not sure what we're going to ask for it yet, going in for annual this week. I wanted to make sure there's nothing going on with it before I put it on the market.

You can do basic aero in it, no inverted systems, so I just stick to rolls, wifferdills, etc.

We're looking at a 210 - maybe an A36 Bo. Want something we can travel in.

Can't go wrong with a bonanza! Does it need to be 6 seats? I know of a real nice 4 seater V tail, F-35 with 225hp motor that will be for sale shortly. I think he's looking for $50K or less.

• 3 weeks later...