Interstate Cadet

HuggyU2

From my (limited) experience with the grassroots guys, they are more rare than one might think. Cool airplane from how it looks. What is it like to get parts for it if something breaks? What engine is it running? I'd shy away if its something crazy like an E-155 or the like.

Huggy, why the interest in this PARTICULAR make and model?

Huggy, I couldn't find much. I met Brent at the AAA fly-in in Blakesburg, Iowa, he has a little on them below. He ran the show and still had time to teach me how to rope trick a sticky valve on my C-85.

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/types/Interstate/feature.html

Wiki has a decent writeup, looks nice in L-6 config/paint.

My first concern is it looks to have really poor visibility from either seat. Equally, I'm guessing the type is mild steel, not chromoly. A prebuy would almost need icepicks to x-rays.

A funky Rearwin would be cool w/ a Ken Royce radial, otherwise, folks say the Champ flies nicer than the Cub- I've only flown Clipwing cubs, SuperCubs towing and Citabrias and up from ACA line.

I really like the clipwing cub if you want tandem, classic and LSA. I don't know if a type club exists for the Interstates.

Good luck, I'm on barnstormers every day, myself...

Edited by moosepileit

A Rearwin? Never considered it. I think most (not all) are side-by-side, and I'd prefer a tandem.

The vis in the cadet is pretty good. I've only flown one and it was modified by increasing the window area,... much like the L-6.

Actually, the L-6 is what I'm considering. Trying to decide if I should make an offer this week to the L-6 owner I'm talking to.

The Interstate's have a 23012 nearly-symmetrical wing,... works great in Pietsch's Jelly Belly act, you have to admit.

• 2 weeks later...

Odd conclusion to this:

the aircraft is really an L-6, a not-so-common military version of the Cadet.

The owner gave me the name of the guy that restored it 10+ years ago. So I called him.

Got all the info, blah, blah. He was surprised to hear it was up for sale.

I call the owner a few days later to make an offer. Voicemail. Wait a week. Call back. Voicemail.

Two days later, owner calls and says "sorry, the guy that restored it heard I was selling it, called, and I sold it to him."

Between this and my '67 Camaro not coming back to me, I've got plenty of money to finally start flying the SNJ.

The glass is half full... never empty.

Edited by Huggyu2

Odd conclusion to this:

the aircraft is really an L-6, a not-so-common military version of the Cadet.

The owner gave me the name of the guy that restored it 10+ years ago. So I called him.

Got all the info, blah, blah. He was surprised to hear it was up for sale.

I call the owner a few days later to make an offer. Voicemail. Wait a week. Call back. Voicemail.

Two days later, owner calls and says "sorry, the guy that restored it heard I was selling it, called, and I sold it to him."

Between this and my '67 Camaro not coming back to me, I've got plenty of money to finally start flying the SNJ.

The glass is half full... never empty.

I can't believe the previous owner pulled a fast one on ya, but the SNJ is a blast to fly! Do you own it or just have access through a friend? Good luck with the airplane purchase. I'm salivating over this RV-4 right now but would need another pilot to share expenses in Wichita to make it worthwhile.

post-1866-079566200 1287435570_thumb.jpg

I second Whitman's question: what's your lucky involvement in a SNJ? Is it one of the late models with the steerable tail wheel?

Only radial I've flown was a PT-17 on a cool autumn morning in Alabama. Never got above a 1,000 feet. Awesome.

It's an SNJ-5. Me and two other guys started a Commemorative Air Force squadron here, and acquired the SNJ from HQ CAF. As for the other two guys, 1 is a former USAF MX guy, who is a T-6/SNJ restoration expert. The other is a former U2, F-16, T38, and TPS grad who I've known a long time. We named it the 1st Aero Squadron.

Here's a picture of it.

post-2076-069948000 1287473320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huggyu2

Sweet! Secret, as you may have figured out- partnerships work best w/ about 3, one that is the MX guy- either IA or at least A&P. One is the more silent partner, doesn't add much but doesn't fly much, the third is the bookkeeper/parts runner that keeps the MX guy happy. Hope it works well for ya'll, congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,... I had my mind set on the L-6 variant.

I'm already studying the SNJ manual so I can start flying soon,... and have mentally committed the money.

Edited by Huggyu2

Just curious...Does the Insurance company count the U-2 time as tailwheel?

I haven't got my quote yet, but will answer when I do.

That said, the U-2 IS tailwheel time,... and the CAF recognized it as such when they approved me to fly the SNJ.

• 1 year later...

Thread update...

We had to get rid of the SNJ. CAF was WAY too expensive to work with.

Also, some of you have some great info and knowledge. So...

Questions:

can anyone give me a rough idea of what it would cost to replace the fabric on a Cub or Champ type of aircraft?

what else have any of you had experience with that is "old and classic", and a two seat tandem? I looked at an L-2 and L-4 recently... both looked like a lot of fun. The L-2 was pristine. The L-4 needs a restoration.

Edited by Huggyu2

Huggy,

The issue if you chose not to provide the labor- you may wind up upside-down on value vs. investment.

That is usually why there is a pool of planes that need a recover AND are for sale. It's not supposed to happen that way, but paint and fabric got expensive.

Get some bids. Knock the seller down to where it all works out, or keep looking.

Sometimes fabric isn't yet "bad", just cosmetic, on the way out, but still airworthy-safe for a while longer- if you hangar the plane you may have time to enjoy it while you plan/budget a recover/repaint. The punch test will yield differing opinions from mechanics of different backgrounds, for instance.

Fabric and then paint just cost too much if you don't provide your own labor. Good Stits/Ceconite, Dope or enamel for ease of MX or poly for the wet look.

L-2 didn't seem to catch on like the Cub did post L-4. The regular Champ is "cute" and flies nicely. Not sure about the L-2 if you fly in a bunch of crosswind.

I have seen some decent cubs now at lower than the LSA peak when a $25k cub was suddenly a $38k cub/ L-4.

What about a basic 100-115 HP Citabria? Are you pegged to a warbird/O-type? They usually have a good discount vs. the 150+hp models.

I assume by old and classic tandem seats you mean high wing taildraggers, not a Varga/low wing/tricycle or biplanes. A nice S1S is checked off my bucket list, but I might do another someday...

Thanks Moose.

Your answer is what I was expecting. Based on how low prices are now for aircraft with recent fabric, I was guessing that the labor would be cost prohibitive if I factored that into a purchase.

I'm not an expert by any means on fabric,... and this L-4 has been in an old WWII hangar for about 15 years... but it's looking a bit rough.

And you are spot on: yes, I'm looking for a warbird-type of aircraft. Doesn't have to be an L- or O-,... but for what I "need", that's probably the best option at this point.

I want two seats, since I always want to go flying with someone else.

I do like the Varga. A little small for the cockpit, but I did enjoy flying it. But like I said... I "need" that warbird background.

Also,... if 100LL goes away in 7-10 years, I want something that will fly on MOGAS.

No hurry though: plenty of opportunity to fly other aircraft for now,... and I've got a kid in college that is soaking up my excess income.

Edited by Huggyu2

luscombe, or taylor-craft. I have helped in the restoration of both and liked them both. Stinson is a nice kite too.. buy one already covered (recently) unless you have the time to recover it yourself. It's not hard or cosmic, but time consuming if you want it to look good and last awhile.