Beach jogger killed by glider

Toro

Horrible accident, absolute terrible odds. Miles of beach and this jogger gets killed by a dead-stick kit-plane whose windshield is obscured by oil.

Beach jogger killed by plane likely never heard it

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. — The kit-built single-engine plane had turned into a glider, almost silently trying to make an emergency landing along a stretch of beach. Pharmaceutical salesman Robert Gary Jones, ear buds in, listening to his iPod while jogging neither saw nor heard it and was struck from behind Monday evening and killed instantly.

"There's no noise," said aviation expert Mary Schiavo, a former inspector general for the National Transportation Safety Board. "So the jogger, with his ear buds in, and the plane without an engine, you're basically a stealth aircraft. Who would expect to look up?"

"I've got a lot of issues going on right now," Smith said. "I've got a plane that's all torn up. And I've got a young man that I killed."

At least he's got his priorities straight.

(in total bad taste..but this guy lives)

Excedrin Headache #69?

EDIT: Contrail, Wow. You actually searched for a video of "man gets hit by plane".

Edited by Spoo

Even with oil smeared on the windshield, Schiavo, the former NTSB official, said Smith should have been able to see through a small window on the side of the plane and possibly yell out to anyone below.

Really? Really? YGBFSM. No wonder he's a "former" NTSB official.

Damn. I'm sorry I missed that. NTSB Official Shiavo (thought she died a couple years ago, but whatever...) is a ra-tard.

EDIT for clarity

Edited by Spoo

Ha! If you have enough time and SA to yell out the window to some guy you might hit while dead sticking in an airplane on a beach, it'd be a lot easier to turn the nose of the airplane 1 degree left.

Ha! If you have enough time and SA to yell out the window to some guy you might hit while dead sticking in an airplane on a beach, it'd be a lot easier to turn the nose of the airplane 1 degree left.

Um...it's a glider. By definition, you are flying dead stick all the time...

Guest onetwopi

Actually the Lancair isn't a glider except in this case where the engine was inop.

If you get killed while jogging on a beach by getting hit by a plane making an emergency landing, DUDE, IT WAS YOUR TIME.