Haiti Relief Effort

theSituation

First, I want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti. They already had it hard enough and this disaster will do nothing but make their lives even more difficult than it already is.

That being said, any word on what the Air Force is doing for relief efforts? Who gets to go?

Is it possible for a casual LT to volunteer to go down there and help out for a few days?

Keep these people in your thoughts...

First, I want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti. They already had it hard enough and this disaster will do nothing but make their lives even more difficult than it already is.

That being said, any word on what the Air Force is doing for relief efforts? Who gets to go?

Is it possible for a casual LT to volunteer to go down there and help out for a few days?

Keep these people in your thoughts...

I'm not going to say it won't happen, but-

-Unless you're with a unit that's going to go down there and and be on the ground (get the airport running), nobody's going to lift a finger to move a guy that doesn't have much more to offer than manual labor. They've got plenty of that already. Civil engineer that knows French? Might be a different deal.

-Hope you've been prescreened on anti-malarial meds, because that will be a requirement.

-Good on ya for wanting to help. For lack of better options, find who's going to try to drum up aid locally.

The airport at Port Au Prince is already marginal due to a single runway and no parallel taxiway. The additional restriction of "No lower than 8000 feet over the city" due to small arms fire just makes it that much more special. It will be a tough haul for whoever gets the call for lift but the Haitians definitely need all the help they can get.

The airport at Port Au Prince is already marginal due to a single runway and no parallel taxiway. The additional restriction of "No lower than 8000 feet over the city" due to small arms fire just makes it that much more special. It will be a tough haul for whoever gets the call for lift but the Haitians definitely need all the help they can get.

Who came up with a NLT 8000' flight restriction for small arms, and what were they smoking? I've not seen anything that restrictive anywhere else in the world.

I'm not going to say it won't happen, but-

-Unless you're with a unit that's going to go down there and and be on the ground (get the airport running), nobody's going to lift a finger to move a guy that doesn't have much more to offer than manual labor. They've got plenty of that already. Civil engineer that knows French? Might be a different deal.

-Hope you've been prescreened on anti-malarial meds, because that will be a requirement.

-Good on ya for wanting to help. For lack of better options, find who's going to try to drum up aid locally.

Man, I knew it would be a no-go, but still. Im already in touch with local aid groups. It just sucks having to stay home and watch this crap on TV, especially when I'm doing NOTHING here at home station.

I guess this is what I'll have to get used to.

Guest John Redcorn

my LT told me today we might get a guy pulled from our shop to take part in the relief effort. I'd go in a heartbeat but it's not my "band" or whatever the hell they call the bucket these days.

my LT told me today we might get a guy pulled from our shop to take part in the relief effort. I'd go in a heartbeat but it's not my "band" or whatever the hell they call the bucket these days.

For short-term taskings, they can ignore the band (and usually do). Granted, you're still required to go for your rotation when your band comes up, but it's not a restriction. If you're not in the right AFSC or (sometimes) if you don't have the right SEI then they won't take you as they don't need you. But if you tell your leadership you're a volunteer, they'll usually keep that in mind when selecting who needs to go.

Now that I'm not on the flying side, I own mobility, the UDMs, and deal with that shit on a day-to-day basis. FWIW.

There is an updated NOTAM for Haiti that has been pushed out.

You mean this one?

Locations:

MTPP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Data Current as of: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:01:00 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MTPP TOUSSAINT LOUVERTURE INTL [back to Top]

No active NOTAMs for this location.

Apparently it can haul more than race horses and sports cars:

I almost choked on my beer when I saw that jet landing in Haiti on CNN. Funny thing is I saw it depart the homeland a couple days prior. This is exactly why they went with the crazy paint job; it is great PR.

Still, I expect it will be used for horses and fancy cars (or taking up space on the C-17 ramp) 95+ percent of the time.

Now if they could just figure out how to operate them on their own...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the call friday, our unit (Reserve) is looking for volunteers to go down there for 4 months starting early February. It was the call I was waiting for so I decided to forego my last semester of college (and the next selection board.. probably the next 2) to help in the effort. I'm an aerial porter so I'm sure most of my time will be spent unloading supplies that are brought in, but I am looking forward to the honor of helping out down there. Haiti in Feb. then Iraq in late summer, it will be an interesting year. I'll try to check in from time to time while I'm gone.

Just got the call friday, our unit (Reserve) is looking for volunteers to go down there for 4 months starting early February. It was the call I was waiting for so I decided to forego my last semester of college (and the next selection board.. probably the next 2) to help in the effort. I'm an aerial porter so I'm sure most of my time will be spent unloading supplies that are brought in, but I am looking forward to the honor of helping out down there. Haiti in Feb. then Iraq in late summer, it will be an interesting year. I'll try to check in from time to time while I'm gone.

Please feel free to express my regrets to the people of a fourth world nation that have now been pushed into a fifth world nation as a result of mother nature.