Pirate Boomtown - thoughts?

slo_goin

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piracy in this area is nothing new, also Commercial vessels are not allowed to be armed. This is tradition that goes back forever, and is also international treaty, we don't arm merchant ships since they are afforded the right of free passage through waters. It is the responsibility of the Navy's of th world to come to the ad of merchant vessels under pirate attack.

Sounds like an antiquated "tradition" that needs to be given a second look. The navy thing isn't working, obviously. The pirates aren't exactly armed to the teeth with torpedos and 16 inch cannons. All it would take to deter them would be a few mounted machine guns on the sides of merchant ships. Sounds like an international treaty that could use some amending.

There's nothing I hate more than prolonging a flawed idea because it's "always been this way".

I'm think a combo business in these somali towns- Peglegs and Parrots. (You could also sell eye patches.) I did a google search and there doesn't appear to be any business like it in all of Africa. Anyone want in on the ground floor? I'm forecasting huge gains in the first year due to the pirate publicity in the media.

I'm think a combo business in these somali towns- Peglegs and Parrots. (You could also sell eye patches.) I did a google search and there doesn't appear to be any business like it in all of Africa. Anyone want in on the ground floor? I'm forecasting huge gains in the first year due to the pirate publicity in the media.

Do they know about parlay? That could come in handy when you get over there.

Guest Raptor390

This has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with money. These are not terrorists, they are pirates, big difference.

Looks like the Saudis aren't going to take this laying down.

Saudi Arabia to Join NATO Naval Mission; Pirates Boost Defenses

By Caroline Alexander and Marianne Stigset

Nov. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Saudi Arabia said it will join a fleet of NATO warships on an anti-piracy mission, as hijackers bolstered defenses around an oil-laden Saudi tanker captured off the East African coast.

The kingdom will contribute ``naval assets to help in pursuing piracy in the region, and this is the only way this can be dealt with,'' Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal told reporters in Oslo today after meeting with his Norwegian counterpart, Jonas Gahr Stoere. ``Negotiations and ransoms only encourage piracy and are not a solution.''

Read the rest here.

Guest Raptor390

As a Logistics Major at a Maritime Academy who has sailed with several commercial and military owned/civilian operated vessels I can tell you all two valuable facts in this matter.

1. Saudi/Panama/Greece, etc.. don't care about anything put the bottom line, the only reason Saudi is getting involved is because these pirates are now messing with there black ink.

2. Ship =money, these guys are pirates, they rob the ships safe (usually several thousand dollars) and crew and then wait for the ransom money to show, they rarely kill any of the crew, because dead sailors don't get them ransom money.

They aren't terrorist, they aren't idealists, they are exactly what the name implies, and you can bet the problem will only continue... they just made the mistake of messing with a country that actually give a hoot.

muslim-swimming-with-his-wife.jpg

this looks like a job for the Saudi Arabian Navy SEALS

hidden under that burka is an 8 foot tall man with a machine gun and a rocket launcher...

Sounds like an antiquated "tradition" that needs to be given a second look. The navy thing isn't working, obviously. The pirates aren't exactly armed to the teeth with torpedos and 16 inch cannons. All it would take to deter them would be a few mounted machine guns on the sides of merchant ships. Sounds like an international treaty that could use some amending.

There's nothing I hate more than prolonging a flawed idea because it's "always been this way".

Agree. Here's another antiquated one: Under international law, as administered by the U.N., if you catch them in the act, you can blow them out of the water. However, if you capture them, you must repatriate them to their home country...ie- Somalia; meaning you essentially release them, since there's no functioning government there. Makes a good case for just killing them. Problem is, you have an area 5 times the size of Texas in which they're operating, and if you're not within a couple of miles of a ship that's about to get captured as it happens, they'll be aboard before you can get there in another ship.

Makes the case for the above that you suggested.

Guest Raptor390

I agree that we should have a better way of dealing with these guys but arming merchant ships is not the answer. So, you are driving over the bridge to get into downtown Long Beach, CA and a vessel of Nigerian/Chinese/Panama, etc. is moored near the bridge discharging 186,000 tons of grain/containers/cars, and as you drive by and to the horror of your wife there is Babaloo manning a .50 Cal machine gun. Do you see where I am going with this, Mariners are not Sailors, they are not military personnel, they are regular guys, be it from several different countries, who make a living at sea. Furthermore, the U.S. Merchant Marine is in dire straights, the only reason it exist now is because of the Jone Act and the U.S. Military. The U.S. has the highest paid crews in the world. Also you have flags of conveince, this is when we as the U.S. have an agreement to protect the vessels of another country. We have this with several countries, Panama being the first to come to mind. Finally, demanding that merchant vessels provide their own security would lead to increases in transportation costs that would drive up the costs of every comodity. We here at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy do a capstone project for logistics majors that deals with security in ports and on waterways. Part of our study is how do you balance, on time and effiecent cost saving delivery, with needed security. Mariners are businessmen, for the military you can take your time (relatively of course) and be as safe as you want. The Merchant Marine loses money by the second when you have delays. Arming merchant vessels is not the answer, Period.

• 1 month later...
Karma is a bitch. Sleep with the fishes, dumbasses.

Piracy is one of the few ways to make money in Somalia. Half the population is dependent on aid and a whole generation has grown up knowing nothing but war. A recent report by London's Chatham House think-tank said pirates raked in more than $30 million in ransoms last year.

^From the link article^

So, how would you make money for your family if they were starving and being denied of essentials to survive? These are probably some desperate people.

Piracy is one of the few ways to make money in Somalia. Half the population is dependent on aid and a whole generation has grown up knowing nothing but war. A recent report by London's Chatham House think-tank said pirates raked in more than $30 million in ransoms last year.

^From the link article^

So, how would you make money for your family if they were starving and being denied of essentials to survive? These are probably some desperate people.

Breaks of the game, IMO. You live that life, you roll the dice.....you may win hands, but at some point the house odds will catch up.

^From the link article^

I guess we should change all the laws to make some moral relevancy multiplier. That way the truly less fortunate would not get punished and could still make a living.

I have no doubt these folks are desperate, but karma is still a bitch.

I would open a shop selling eye patches, wooden legs, and parrots. My family would be fine.

I would open a shop selling eye patches, wooden legs, and parrots. My family would be fine.

:notworthy:

That is until your shipment of legs, patches and parrots gets hijacked 20 miles offshore... ;)

Edited by Vertigo

Guest PerArduaAdAstra

Last week:

MOGADISHU, Somalia – Five of the pirates who hijacked a Saudi supertanker drowned with their share of a $3 million ransom, a relative said Saturday, the day after the bundle of cash was apparently dropped by parachute onto the deck of the ship.

The Sirius Star and its 25 crew sailed safely away Friday at the end of a two-month standoff in the Gulf of Aden, where pirates attacked over 100 ships last year. Hundreds more kidnapped sailors remain in the hands of pirates.

The drowned pirates' boat overturned in rough seas, and family members were still looking for four missing bodies, said Daud Nure, another pirate who knew the men involved. Abukar Haji, uncle of one of the dead pirates, blamed the naval surveillance for the accident that killed his pirate nephew Saturday.

"The boat the pirates were traveling in capsized because it was running at high speed because the pirates were afraid of an attack from the warships patrolling around," he said.

"There has been human and monetary loss but what makes us feel sad is that we don't still have the dead bodies of our relatives. Four are still missing and one washed up on the shore."

Today:

The body of a Somali pirate who drowned after receiving a huge ransom has been washed ashore with $153,000 (£100,000) in cash in his pocket, as a spokesman for another group of pirates promised to free a Ukrainian arms ship soon.

Tough shit, Cap'n Jack Sparrow.

• 2 months later...
...they have yet to hit an American ship for to reasons.

1. They know we will kick there @$$

2. Most american flagged traffic in that area is operated by Military Sealift Command who will man there vessels with Naval Security teams to protect the civilian mariners who run the vessel.

Not anymore!

EDIT: By the time I found this old thread, we had already taken control of the ship again. Wonder if the military was involved in anyway, or if it was just the crew....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30103371

:beer:

Edited by Flare

Not anymore!

EDIT: By the time I found this old thread, we had already taken control of the ship again. Wonder if the military was involved in anyway, or if it was just the crew....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30103371

:beer:

Just the crew- Navy destroyer is still on her way. Apparently the Somali's still have the captain of the ship as a hostage. The crew captured a somali pirate and there was to be an exchange for the captain. Didn't work out, the Somalis got their guy back and kept the Captain.

I agree that we should have a better way of dealing with these guys but arming merchant ships is not the answer. So, you are driving over the bridge to get into downtown Long Beach, CA and a vessel of Nigerian/Chinese/Panama, etc. is moored near the bridge discharging 186,000 tons of grain/containers/cars, and as you drive by and to the horror of your wife there is Babaloo manning a .50 Cal machine gun. Do you see where I am going with this...

Uhhh...Merchant Sailors can't defend themselves because your wife is afraid of guns?