Air Force Global Strike Command

Guest Gonads

Allright the missile part, I can see that. But what happens when AFCENT wants to task B-52s/B-2s in a non nuclear role? Do they rob them from PACAF or GSC? Either way, I like the idea of a seperate nuclear command but with mixed assets like BUFFs, you better bring more than one squadron online.

It's uglier than that. They got us (AFRC) slated to pick up the buff schoolhouse mission on the CHEAP, since they won't cough up the full time jobs (yet..haha :salut: ), which is standard for ACC; give the Raptor guys a bl$wjob but cry bloody murder if a buff needs a new brake assembly from the last time we dragged a 12 foot torch down taxiway Alpha 'cause our anti-skid relays were built no sh%t in '62..... mother f%ckers, dang it I digress....

So they'll bleed the 11th to man up the leadership up in minot and min run the conventional thing between posturing in guam and praying to holy Joseph and doggiestyle Mary AFCENT doesn't whine they need us to suck sand at peter puffin deid, which in my biased uneducated opinion is not gonna happen for a slew of reasons that have nothing to do with wide enough real estate down there. So yeah the buffs will remain mighty eight property under SAC part deux and everybody will get asked to it for king and country while we watch cool videos of raptors and light greys pushing it up on the money it would cost to make every Cadillac at barkatraz terminal RNAV GPS legal, RVSM and SELCAL cape, you know like your garden variety C-172 .... and I won't even address on this forum the PRP shennanigans they got in store for the AFRC/AD associations.. brother the plot of Dr. Strangelove got nothing on this sh%t.....10 months ago everybody wanted to stay in the community to avoid ALO/Pred now they're giving up their first born for a U-28 TDY with option to punch, you can't make this stuff up :thumbsup: ....merry Xmas btw :beer:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's uglier than that. They got us (AFRC) slated to pick up the buff schoolhouse mission on the CHEAP, since they won't cough up the full time jobs (yet..haha :salut: ), which is standard for ACC; give the Raptor guys a bl$wjob but cry bloody murder if a buff needs a new brake assembly from the last time we dragged a 12 foot torch down taxiway Alpha 'cause our anti-skid relays were built no sh%t in '62..... mother f%ckers, dang it I digress....

So they'll bleed the 11th to man up the leadership up in minot and min run the conventional thing between posturing in guam and praying to holy Joseph and doggiestyle Mary AFCENT doesn't whine they need us to suck sand at peter puffin deid, which in my biased uneducated opinion is not gonna happen for a slew of reasons that have nothing to do with wide enough real estate down there. So yeah the buffs will remain mighty eight property under SAC part deux and everybody will get asked to it for king and country while we watch cool videos of raptors and light greys pushing it up on the money it would cost to make every Cadillac at barkatraz terminal RNAV GPS legal, RVSM and SELCAL cape, you know like your garden variety C-172 .... and I won't even address on this forum the PRP shennanigans they got in store for the AFRC/AD associations.. brother the plot of Dr. Strangelove got nothing on this sh%t.....10 months ago everybody wanted to stay in the community to avoid ALO/Pred now they're giving up their first born for a U-28 TDY with option to punch, you can't make this stuff up :thumbsup: ....merry Xmas btw :beer:

run-on sentence > hindsight 2020

If you don't think we need to get our nuke forces in order and do it RIGHT NOW, here's some light reading for you. BTW, It's not just the nuclear force that needs a re-attack on mission focus and purpose. While the bad guys are getting stronger, we're wearing reflective belts on our blues while putting together awards packages. The metal's gunna meet the meat someday soon.

Russia to raise nuclear missile output fourfold

Wednesday 24 December 2008

Russia has thrown down a new gauntlet to Barack Obama with an announcement that it will sharply increase production of strategic nuclear missiles.

In the latest of a series of combative moves by the Kremlin, a senior government official in Moscow said the Russian military would commission 70 strategic missiles over the next three years, as part of a massive rearmament programme which will also include short-range missiles, 300 tanks, 14 warships and 50 planes.

Military experts said the planned new arsenal was presumed to consist of land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) rather than submarine-launched missiles. If this is the case, the plans represent a fourfold increase in the rate of ICBM deployment. The arsenal will include a new-generation, multiple-warhead ICBM called the RS-24. It was first test-fired in 2007, with first deputy prime minister Sergei Ivanov boasting it was "capable of overcoming any existing or future missile defence systems".

The new missiles will be part of a £95bn defence procurement package for 2009-2011, a 28% increase in arms spending, according to Vladislav Putilin of the cabinet's military-industrial commission. There will be further increases in spending in the following two years.

The new military procurements follow the war in Georgia in August. Russian forces easily routed Georgian troops, but the conflict exposed weaknesses in the Russian army, including outdated equipment and poorly co-ordinated command structures. The defence ministry said it would carry out drastic reforms, turning the army into a more modern force.

Vladimir Putin on Monday urged cabinet officials to quickly allocate funds for new weapons and closely control the quality and pace of their production. Military experts said the construction of 70 long-range nuclear missiles in the next three years represented a Russian attempt to strengthen its bargaining position with Washington, in talks aimed at agreeing new nuclear weapons cuts when the current treaty in force, Start I, expires next December.

Moscow's strategy appears to be to challenge Obama's new administration as soon as it takes office on 20 January. On the day Obama was elected the Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev, announced plans to station short-range Iskander missiles in Russia's Kaliningrad exclave as a counter to American installation of its missile defence system in eastern Europe.

Ruben Sergeev, an expert on disarmament issues, said Moscow was afraid of falling behind in a new arms race.

"Russia is decommissioning its old liquid-fuel missiles from the Soviet era at a rate of several dozen every year," he said. "The Kremlin knows that if it doesn't increase production of ICBMs rapidly now then it will have no chance of getting a new arms reduction treaty out of the US, which has much greater quantities of missiles." Negotiations on a successor to Start I have been bogged down in detail, and hamstrung by the Bush administration's lame duck status.

The chief US negotiator, John Rood, said last week that the latest sticking point was Russian insistence that the new treaty cover long-range delivery systems, such as bombers and missiles, intended for conventional arms as well as nuclear warheads. The US wants the treaty to focus solely on nuclear warheads.

Moscow has also signalled that it would supply Tehran with new surface-to-air missiles in defiance of US opposition. Washington has asked for more information on the sales, fearing the weapons being sold include long-range S-300 missiles, which have a 120km (75 mile) range. They could threaten US planes in Iraq, and could also protect Iranian nuclear sites from aerial attack.

The US has set aside its own plans for military action against Iran for now, but US officials hoped that fear of an Israeli strike would make Iran more amenable to suspending its enrichment of uranium.

Source

I just read the wikipedia article on "AFGSC". Sounds like they will control all Buffs and B-2's.

I didn't see it explained how these assets would be tasked for conventional sorties (seem much more likely). It also didn't mention the Bone. How does it fit into all of this?

Edited by usaf36031

I just read the wikipedia article on "AFGSC". Sounds like they will control all Buffs and B-2's.

I didn't see it explained how these assets would be tasked for conventional sorties (seem much more likely). It also didn't mention the Bone. How does it fit into all of this?

I would imagine it would be like a combatant commander requesting assets and the Air Force sending them over as they are available (basically the same way a B-2 is tasked from ACC to CENTCOM now). From what I remember, the Bone is no longer nuclear equipped/trained (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I would imagine it would be like a combatant commander requesting assets and the Air Force sending them over as they are available (basically the same way a B-2 is tasked from ACC to CENTCOM now). From what I remember, the Bone is no longer nuclear equipped/trained (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this).

You're correct, the bone isn't nuke anymore...lucky f$cks...of course they're broke as hell and sold their soul to the devil to be in country and nobody who's young gets to fly worth a d$ck (even worse than the buff), so it all evens out in the end.

And yes the buff will continue to do its posturing with pacaf regardless of mighty 8 tucking under SAC deux. The additional squadron in minot and the AFRC taking the schoolhouse is all part of the plan to substantiate the "smooth" transition to doing more with less....and of course it is an abortion that will rear its ugly head in about 1.5 fiscal years. As to buff centcom taskings to the desert...yeah I'll believe that when it actually happens *puts foot in mouth with foolish confidence*

Yeah, got a short-notice email last week asking for vols to do a 179-day 'er in DC to help stand up the new command. Best of all...short tour credit....in DC. I wonder if you'd get Hostile Fire Pay/IDP for being TDY to DC?? Still a decent deal if you are on the bubble for a short tour.

Yeah, got a short-notice email last week asking for vols to do a 179-day 'er in DC to help stand up the new command. Best of all...short tour credit....in DC. I wonder if you'd get Hostile Fire Pay/IDP for being TDY to DC?? Still a decent deal if you are on the bubble for a short tour.

merry f***in' Christmas to ya, huh?

If you don't think we need to get our nuke forces in order and do it RIGHT NOW, here's some light reading for you. BTW, It's not just the nuclear force that needs a re-attack on mission focus and purpose. While the bad guys are getting stronger, we're wearing reflective belts on our blues while putting together awards packages. The metal's gunna meet the meat someday soon.

Source

Oh.... no, another Missile Gap

..........................................CINCSAC sucks PNAF..............

• 3 weeks later...
So GSC isn't getting B-1s? Odd...I thought the Bone could drop nukes, too.

No the B-1 isn't slated for that mission, though it could physically do it. And no it isn't odd, it's retardedly predicatable, ACC and their hard-ons for afterburners and any semblance of fast movers at the expense of red headed stepchildren that are to reconstitute under SAC II, crayolas and diapers in hand....

No the B-1 isn't slated for that mission, though it could physically do it. And no it isn't odd, it's retardedly predicatable, ACC and their hard-ons for afterburners and any semblance of fast movers at the expense of red headed stepchildren that are to reconstitute under SAC II, crayolas and diapers in hand....

has to do with B-1's not being nuclear assests. Sure I can strap a nuc to a cessna, but it's not going to SAC part II. The nuc traid is going to GSC - buffs, dueces & missiles.

• 5 months later...

My understanding is that the GSC Commander is going to be Lt Gen Klotz. So I have a few questions for those in the bomber community:

1) I thought there was a law/reg about only rated officers being in command of flying units so is there a waiver or something for Gen Klotz?

2) Are the flyers uncomfortable with a career missile officer being in command?

ETA: This is the general's bio

http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6081

Edited by FlyingBull

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
My understanding is that the GSC Commander is going to be Lt Gen Klotz. So I have a few questions for those in the bomber community:

1) I thought there was a law/reg about only rated officers being in command of flying units so is there a waiver or something for Gen Klotz?

AFI 51-604, Appointment to and Assumption of Command, goes into fabulous detail on this topic. Chapter 5.3 covers units with multiple missions; GSC is considered a non-flying unit, but subordinate flying wings must still be led by a rated officer.

SJ4

Chapter 5.3 covers units with multiple missions; GSC is considered a non-flying unit, but subordinate flying wings must still be led by a rated officer.

That makes sense. Since GSC is a "nuclear command" it would make sense someone who spent their career dealing with nukes would be put in charge of it while keeping the flying wings under command of flyers.

That makes sense. Since GSC is a "nuclear command" it would make sense someone who spent their career dealing with nukes would be put in charge of it while keeping the flying wings under command of flyers.

...and the missile guys under missileers. I have no issue with this whatsoever. The problem for non-rated folks is that you have to break through and be an aide or something at a pretty high level before they'll make you a general over something like a numbered air force or MAJCOM. I've got no issue with being under a 3-star Comm officer if he has a lot of experience in the field of nukes...

...It would make more sense in AFSPC though...