UPT Journal

Guest zmanisfireproof

Guest zmanisfireproof

Hello Everyone.

I am a recent college grad and newly commissioned Air Force 2nd Lieutenant. I was lucky enough to snag a pilot slot and I am currently at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, TX and will soon begin pilot training this Wednesday, Oct 1. So, to document this milestone in my life, I've decided to blog a journal on the day to day activities that I will be involved with while going through pilot training. There are many reasons to why I am doing this, but I thought that maybe for those out there who are curious as to what real life pilot training is like, or who may be interested in pursuing a career as a pilot for the Air Force, but never knew where to get started or what it was like, my blog could be some sort of guide. Thus, I am inviting all who are interested to come check out my blog as I will be leaving updates on it weekly, and sometimes daily as time permits. Feel free to subscribe to it so you can always stay informed. My blog is located on my Myspace page at www.myspace.com/zmanisfireproof. Also, feel free to leave comments, suggestions, questions, or, if you have any, advice ('cause God knows, I sure could use some!). Anyways, just thought some of you would be interested in this 'resource' and insight into what Air Force pilot training is really like. I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

Edited by zmanisfireproof

They will LOVE you at Survival school!

I can see the log now... Aerospace Phys-Daily BLOG, TONS of pictures.

Phase 1- Daily BLOG, not so many pictures

Phase 2 First three rides - Every other day BLOG, no pictures

Phase 2 SOLO! - Lots of pictures, very short BLOG

Phase 2 Midphase check - No pictures, no BLOG

Phase 2 Final Contact check - No pictures, Short, apologetic BLOG saying "I'm sorry I just have not had time to keep up with this BLOG. I will post more in the future, I promise!"

Phase 2 "I" Check - No pictures, no BLOG

Phase 2 Form Check - A couple pictures, posting of getting picked up for T1/T38/Corpus/Rucker

Phase 3 - One really cool picture of you with plane, no BLOG

GRADUATION - BLOG "I know I have not been keeping up on here, but I got selected for (Insert aircraft here), and am now headed to (Insert FTU). I plan to continue this BLOG when I get there!

BLOG closed in anticipation of Survival school...

Of course, you may feel free to prove me wrong! Good on ya if you do! :salut:

Edited by discus

Guest zmanisfireproof
www.raptorpilot.com

05-02 stud (I think) tracked T-1s. Nuff said

I want T-1s.

Look, I know I'm going to be busy. That's why I said I'd try and update the blog weekly, maybe daily if I had the time. My blog isn't going to be an 'IP bashing party', nor is it going to be a place where I can complain or share 'secrets' of pilot training. It's simply going to be a journal of my experiences, period. People can read it or not, that's up to them. But I do know that there are a lot of people out there who enjoy reading about what life as a UPT stud is like.

They will LOVE you at Survival school!

I can see the log now... Aerospace Phys-Daily BLOG, TONS of pictures.

Phase 1- Daily BLOG, not so many pictures

Phase 2 First three rides - Every other day BLOG, no pictures

Phase 2 SOLO! - Lots of pictures, very short BLOG

Phase 2 Midphase check - No pictures, no BLOG

Phase 2 Final Contact check - No pictures, Short, apologetic BLOG saying "I'm sorry I just have not had time to keep up with this BLOG. I will post more in the future, I promise!"

Phase 2 "I" Check - No pictures, no BLOG

Phase 2 Form Check - A couple pictures, posting of getting picked up for T1/T38/Corpus/Rucker

Phase 3 - One really cool picture of you with plane, no BLOG

GRADUATION - BLOG "I know I have not been keeping up on here, but I got selected for (Insert aircraft here), and am now headed to (Insert FTU). I plan to continue this BLOG when I get there!

BLOG closed in anticipation of Survival school...

Of course, you may feel free to prove me wrong! Good on ya if you do! :salut:

Yes, my blog will probably be like every other blog out there from previous UPT studs, we get it. But at least my experience will be different. That's all I want to 'blog' - my own, personal experience. It's simply going to be a journal, more for me than anyone else. But others can read it if they'd like and take from it whatever they'd like. If you think it will simply be another boring UPT blog, then don't subscribe to it and don't read it.

I want T-1s.

Look, I know I'm going to be busy. That's why I said I'd try and update the blog weekly, maybe daily if I had the time. My blog isn't going to be an 'IP bashing party', nor is it going to be a place where I can complain or share 'secrets' of pilot training. It's simply going to be a journal of my experiences, period. People can read it or not, that's up to them. But I do know that there are a lot of people out there who enjoy reading about what life as a UPT stud is like.

Yes, my blog will probably be like every other blog out there from previous UPT studs, we get it. But at least my experience will be different. That's all I want to 'blog' - my own, personal experience. It's simply going to be a journal, more for me than anyone else. But others can read it if they'd like and take from it whatever they'd like. If you think it will simply be another boring UPT blog, then don't subscribe to it and don't read it.

Oh no, I was ENCOURAGING you to be different... Keep up with it, throw some emotion in. Tell how crappy it is when you hook a ride, tell about the elation of passing a checkride, talk about how old the LSI instructors are and how they are teaching you T-37 stuff in the T-6 because that's all they know, talk about the friendships that you make that will last a life time, or about that drunken weekend out on Amistad. Be a little bit different. I'm sure you've read other folks BLOG's, try to switch it up a littlb bit. I'm still waiting on THAT UPT Blog... :beer:

Hello Everyone.

I am a recent college grad and newly commissioned Air Force 2nd Lieutenant. I was lucky enough to snag a pilot slot and I am currently at Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, TX and will soon begin pilot training this Wednesday, Oct 1. So, to document this milestone in my life, I've decided to blog a journal on the day to day activities that I will be involved with while going through pilot training. There are many reasons to why I am doing this, but I thought that maybe for those out there who are curious as to what real life pilot training is like, or who may be interested in pursuing a career as a pilot for the Air Force, but never knew where to get started or what it was like, my blog could be some sort of guide. Thus, I am inviting all who are interested to come check out my blog as I will be leaving updates on it weekly, and sometimes daily as time permits. Feel free to subscribe to it so you can always stay informed. My blog is located on my Myspace page at www.myspace.com/zmanisfireproof. Also, feel free to leave comments, suggestions, questions, or, if you have any, advice ('cause God knows, I sure could use some!). Anyways, just thought some of you would be interested in this 'resource' and insight into what Air Force pilot training is really like. I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

A recent UPT stud at Vance did this.

http://www.vance.af.mil/jsuptjournal/index.asp

He did T-1's as well and is now going on to -135's. A great read. Like someone else mentioned; I too think that you should blog it on Baseops, or even do what this guy did and do it on Laughlin's website.

Good luck, have fun, and I'll look forward to reading it!

Edited by dml02b

• 2 weeks later...
Guest C-21 Pilot

I would discourage ANYONE from making a blog about UPT. Make a private journal and keep it to yourself and your family. Seriously, I don't care about SERE....it's a controlled AETC environment...so, you get smacked a bit more. However, you STILL get to go back home.

There is something to be said about OPSEC and the current position we are worldwide.

What can you get from an IP address:

SSN

Bank Account Info

Family History

Home Address

Phone Number

Being one of the OPSEC guru's here at McChord, you would be surprised at the things we hear that folks can do with technology these days. Go talk with the local OSI Tech guys prior to starting or pushing the info.

If you have time to make a UPT blog, you have time to study and get laid. I prefer the latter...

Edited by C-21 Pilot

I would discourage ANYONE from making a blog about UPT. Make a private journal and keep it to yourself and your family. Seriously, I don't care about SERE....it's a controlled AETC environment...so, you get smacked a bit more. However, you STILL get to go back home.

There is something to be said about OPSEC and the current position we are worldwide.

What can you get from an IP address:

SSN

Bank Account Info

Family History

Home Address

Phone Number

Being one of the OPSEC guru's here at McChord, you would be surprised at the things we hear that folks can do with technology these days. Go talk with the local OSI Tech guys prior to starting or pushing the info.

If you have time to make a UPT blog, you have time to study and get laid. I prefer the latter...

Case in point. http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index...ic=13306&hl=

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zmanisfireproof

So far so good. My blog is doing fine, and there are a couple of other studs in my class who are doing the same thing. My myspace page is private, but my blog is public. I understand OPSEC and everything, but I'm also not a paranoid freak. I'm not worried about Bin Laden driving a car full of explosives through my front door at Laughlin simply because I posted on my blog about my struggle and success with the Systems 1 test...

Guest C-21 Pilot

If I remember correctly, Hacker's UPT Journal (from www.militarypilot.net) - regarded as the "Bible" when I went through - was initially frowned upon because it was one of the first (and most thourough) journal out on the web. Students would contest to the contrary, and many of us who went through the firehose cherished his experience. I remember printing it off and reading it several times prior to starting UPT back in the day, and it really helped out back when UPT was a mystery.

There was a post from either this forum or another online pilot forum where, if I remember correctly, Hacker regreted making it and making it "so public."

There was also more to the story on how he got his handle, but I'll let him tell the story...

I've decided to blog a journal on the day to day activities that I will be involved with while going through pilot training. There are many reasons to why I am doing this, but I thought that maybe for those out there who are curious as to what real life pilot training is like, or who may be interested in pursuing a career as a pilot for the Air Force, but never knew where to get started or what it was like, my blog could be some sort of guide.

Groundbreaking.

HD

Hacker, didn't you run a UPT blog back in the day? Isn't that how you got your name?

Yes, that's part of it.

I highly, highly ENCOURAGE people to keep a journal of their experiences.

I equally as highly DISCOURAGE USAF officers from putting that journal on the internet.

No good can come from it. Seriously.

To the OP....dude, I did this 10 years ago and, although I recieved a lot of feedback that it was helpful to many people (to this day guys I don't know still see my name tag and say "thanks for writing that journal!"), in the end it was nothing but a headache for me. If you want to know the specifics, shoot me an email or PM and I'll give you the lowdown.

Bottom line is this: You're not doing something unique -- literally dozens and dozens of other guys have "blogged" their UPT experience, even before there was such a thing as a blog! -- and as a military officer you are putting yourself and your family at risk by having so much personal data about yourself (and your profession) on the internet.

Keep a written record of it for yourself -- you will thank yourself in 10 or 20 years when you are able to go back and refresh old memories that have faded and emotions that have long since disappeared. If you want to share that with your family and friends, distribute it via private channels.

As far as the callsign goes....well, this website is certainly part of it, but the whole ordeal is a story best told over a bartop and liberal amounts of Jack and Coke.

• 3 weeks later...