Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Guest wenfield

I've been here just over a week (like a week and a half day) and no one's been yelled at for anything. i'm wearing those fancy fingered shoes, with no socks. (they should really get washed soon)

Today at the mandatory in briefing, the Big Guy said it's okay to bend some rules, (specifically headphones while running in the road, just take one earbud out) then the chief came up and said "don't be that douche" in reference to the shoes who call people out no matter the situation.

there were many other things said, and it seemed a response to many of the posts in this thread.

edit for clarification of what the chief said.

Edited by wenfield

I've been here just over a week (like a week and a half day) and no one's been yelled at for anything. i'm wearing those fancy fingered shoes, with no socks. (they should really get washed soon)

Today at the mandatory in briefing, the Big Guy said it's okay to bend some rules, (specifically headphones while running in the road, just take one earbud out) then the chief came up and said "don't be that douche" in reference to the shoes who call people out no matter the situation.

there were many other things said, and it seemed a response to many of the posts in this thread.

Sounds like leadership is starting to get the hint (only took 8 years...)

Sounds like leadership is starting to get the hint (only took 8 years...)

Until the first person gets close to being sideswiped by a car and they find out he had a headphone in. Then the lockdown and the shoeiness will start all over again.

If you really think that the WG/CC or the Chief read this thread, I've got some ocean front property in Omaha, Nebraska to sell you.

And those fancy fingered shoes, are allowed. Crocs, however are only back and forth from the Caddy, or so the reg says.

Guest wenfield

If you really think that the WG/CC or the Chief read this thread, I've got some ocean front property in Omaha, Nebraska to sell you.

And those fancy fingered shoes, are allowed. Crocs, however are only back and forth from the Caddy, or so the reg says.

The shoes are allowed, with socks. I've ignored the socks part. I've also walked around with my flight suit sleeves pushed up, and sunglasses on my head.

I'm not saying they themselves are reading this thread, but after spending 3 days straight reading it, and then coming out here for my 6th trip, It really does seem like the things were said about this in general. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the possibility of the existence of this thread.

I wouldn't mind a better view than corn. I'll take you up on that offer sir.

The shoes are allowed, with socks. I've ignored the socks part. I've also walked around with my flight suit sleeves pushed up, and sunglasses on my head.

I'm not saying they themselves are reading this thread, but after spending 3 days straight reading it, and then coming out here for my 6th trip, It really does seem like the things were said about this in general. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the possibility of the existence of this thread.

I wouldn't mind a better view than corn. I'll take you up on that offer sir.

The Deid now is a LOT better than it was a year ago. Last year was the Shoepocalypse and nearly resulted in a mutiny when they started kicking dudes out of the chow hall for not wearing a disco belt INDOORS. They've backed off considerably since then.

The Deid now is a LOT better than it was a year ago. Last year was the Shoepocalypse and nearly resulted in a mutiny when they started kicking dudes out of the chow hall for not wearing a disco belt INDOORS. They've backed off considerably since then.

Including the poor Marine who didn't even OWN a reflective belt, because try as they might, the shoes can't make a local policy that overrides the uniform guidance for a sister branch of the military.

• 4 months later...

Three weeks into tour 2, and it seems to have died down. Although I have gotten about six emails from leadership on various levels stressing OPSEC to ridiculous levels...to included trying to prevent the wives from telling anyone their husband is deployed, and alot of the "Undisclosed Location" BS. Just sayin', if it were really undisclosed, we probably wouldn't be selling T-shirts and coffee mugs with the name of the base plastered all over them.

...to included trying to prevent the wives from telling anyone their husband is deployed, and alot of the "Undisclosed Location" BS.

And where do they suggest the wives say their husbands went for that 4 to 12 month period of time?! Beer run?

Edited by FUSEPLUG

Three weeks into tour 2, and it seems to have died down. Although I have gotten about six emails from leadership on various levels stressing OPSEC to ridiculous levels...to included trying to prevent the wives from telling anyone their husband is deployed, and alot of the "Undisclosed Location" BS. Just sayin', if it were really undisclosed, we probably wouldn't be selling T-shirts and coffee mugs with the name of the base plastered all over them.

Last time I was there I bought a bunch of the trinkets and gave them away to family and friends as christmas presents. The card said something like "please enjoy this gift from our undisclosed location in southwest asia. Forget that it was a coffee mug with an outline of Qatar imposed over the Air Force symbol, with Al Udeid written big as shit on there.

Wait- you didn't get any emails from the ECGOC (expeditionary, of course) advertising trips downtown to go bowling/ shopping/ the water park/ movies/ etc? What about ECGOC movie nights at the pool (bring your own floatie/ noodle/ water wings/ desert boy and/or girlfriend). Oh what's that? We're in a goddam futher######king war?

I wish I were making this shit up.

What a joke of a job this is

Wait- you didn't get any emails from the ECGOC (expeditionary, of course) advertising trips downtown to go bowling/ shopping/ the water park/ movies/ etc? What about ECGOC movie nights at the pool (bring your own floatie/ noodle/ water wings/ desert boy and/or girlfriend). Oh what's that? We're in a goddam futher######king war?

I wish I were making this shit up.

What a joke of a job this is

I have convinced myself the ECGOC is a sting operation, and that anyone who actually shows up for it is immediately sent home since they are clearly not needed in the AOR given that they have enough time for stupid bullshit like an ECGOC. That's the ONLY way I can sleep at night. The likely truth is too painful to bear.

I've gone downtown before, and it IS freaking awesome, but it was always either in the 12 hours AFTER flying and before crew rest started (thus we're talking a 30+ hour day) or after I've been replaced at the end of my trip and am waiting on a ride home.

I have convinced myself the ECGOC is a sting operation, and that anyone who actually shows up for it is immediately sent home since they are clearly not needed in the AOR given that they have enough time for stupid bullshit like an ECGOC. That's the ONLY way I can sleep at night. The likely truth is too painful to bear.

I've gone downtown before, and it IS freaking awesome, but it was always either in the 12 hours AFTER flying and before crew rest started (thus we're talking a 30+ hour day) or after I've been replaced at the end of my trip and am waiting on a ride home.

I'm of the belief that if I'm gonna waste precious days from my limited time on this earth supporting a dead-end, cluster###### of a war in a shithole of a location, then at least I'm gonna ######ing support this deadend, cluster###### of a war in this shithole of a location to the maximum ######ing extent possible. If that means I fly-sleep-fly-sleep rinse wash repeat and never get a glimpse of downtown Doha/ Abu Dhabi/ Dubai, then so ######ing be it. And if I could shave off a single day of a deployment by doing so then it would abso-######ing-lutely be worth it.

Are my ten years up yet?

I'm of the belief that if I'm gonna waste precious days from my limited time on this earth supporting a dead-end, cluster###### of a war in a shithole of a location, then at least I'm gonna ######ing support this deadend, cluster###### of a war in this shithole of a location to the maximum ######ing extent possible. If that means I fly-sleep-fly-sleep rinse wash repeat and never get a glimpse of downtown Doha/ Abu Dhabi/ Dubai, then so ######ing be it. And if I could shave off a single day of a deployment by doing so then it would abso-######ing-lutely be worth it.

Are my ten years up yet?

I disagree, Doha is worth the trip if you can spare the time. For as much as the Deid sucks, Doha is great, and is a refreshing does of reality, and makes you realize just how ridiculous the Americans act at AUAB.

Last time I was there I bought a bunch of the trinkets and gave them away to family and friends as christmas presents. The card said something like "please enjoy this gift from our undisclosed location in southwest asia. Forget that it was a coffee mug with an outline of Qatar imposed over the Air Force symbol, with Al Udeid written big as shit on there.

Haha yeah that stuff cracks me up!

I am sure the TCNs have no idea where they are and don't talk about it either. Maybe they should just change the name to "Undisclosed AB" and everyone will be happy.

I disagree, Doha is worth the trip if you can spare the time. For as much as the Deid sucks, Doha is great, and is a refreshing does of reality, and makes you realize just how ridiculous the Americans act at AUAB.

That's just it- if we have the time (and the people) to spare a trip to Doha/ wherever from a shithole base, then we have too much time and too many people deployed to said shithole base. Oh, wait, I forgot- we're at war, but not really at war.

To say this isn't the Air Force, military, and war I thought I was getting into would be an understatement. My bad.

That's just it- if we have the time (and the people) to spare a trip to Doha/ wherever from a shithole base, then we have too much time and too many people deployed to said shithole base. Oh, wait, I forgot- we're at war, but not really at war.

To say this isn't the Air Force, military, and war I thought I was getting into would be an understatement. My bad.

Sorry dude, I still disagree. You don't HAVE time, you MAKE time. Did you notice the times I listed? All the times I've gone downtown have either been AFTER a 15+ hour crew duty day, no sleep in between, or when I'm in transient waiting for a rotator after passing the torch off to my replacement. No way you can accelerate the tempo beyond that, at least not for the hours we fly, your airframe/mission might be different.

ETA: It's also a long standing Air Force tradition to lay waste to whatever town you are closest to when you're deployed. Unfortunately that's not really an option in Doha, but at least give downtown a shot, if for no other reason than you get SOMETHING to tell your kids and grandkids aside from the great :rainbow: easter egg hunt of 2010

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite

Expeditionary CGOC? For real?

Ugh....I want to kill myself right now.

They are like email ninjas too. I think I have damn near 10 auto-delete rules set up for their crap.

On a more exciting note - after we landed last night our CC passed on the RUMINT of personal ORM cards that everyone on base will be getting before too long - we will be expected to keep on us and fill out before each day. I am giddy with excitement.

...to included trying to prevent the wives from telling anyone their husband is deployed, and alot of the "Undisclosed Location" BS.

Kid: "Mommy, where's Daddy? When is he comming home?"

Spouse: "Daddy had to go away for a while, sweetie, he'll be back in a few months."

Kid: "Hey, wait a minute, that's BS! I saw this on an after-school special. Daddy's in REHAB!!!"

Spouse: "...yes. Yes, dear, that's right Daddy's in rehab, he'll be back in three months. Ok?"

On a more exciting note - after we landed last night our CC passed on the RUMINT of personal ORM cards that everyone on base will be getting before too long - we will be expected to keep on us and fill out before each day.

Great call. Complacency kills and all that...

My Senior just got to the D and said that he got a bunch of shit cause he only showed up with one (1) reflective belt. Apparently you need two...otherwise the terrorists win. Or something like that.