Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Guest fourtenwedge
Is this this generation of leadership's legacy?

Seriously?!

Of course. Just wait until they make digital tigerstripe flight suits...you know its coming.

Guest Hueypilot812
Shut thy filthy cakehole!! Don't give the shoes any ideas about bringing that uniform to reality.

It's already been discussed...two-piece tiger stripe flight suit similar to the Army aviation ACUs.

With regards to the sunglasses on the forehead...I've worn mine like that for the entire time I've been here in the AOR (around 11 months and counting), and I haven't been corrected yet. Maybe it's because I do it with such blatant disregard for the "rules" that it throws people off, but I think part of it has to be the fact that I'm CAFTT and we don't have many douches for SNCOs over here.

It's already been discussed...two-piece tiger stripe flight suit similar to the Army aviation ACUs.

Threadjack coming..

Sorry for you guys who hate the idea, but if the price to pay to get a two piece flight suit is the gay tiger stripe, I will happily play along. Hey, I have to take a dump, instead of ranger rolling my flight suit in the vain attempt to prevent shit water on the floor from staining my bag, I'll just take the top off and throw it over the wall. Hey, instead of basically getting naked in combat to take a dump, I'll just drop my pants. Instead of wearing a ridiculous shoulder holster that flops around, I'll wear a paddle holster that actually serves a useful purpose. That's just a pilot's input, ask your sweaties if they'd prefer a uniform where they could just take off their top and not become dangerously dehydrated while loading and pre-flighting the aircraft. Basically anyone I know who's flown with the two-piece flight suit universally prefers it in the AOR.

Guest GrouchyHerk

Salem's supplement to 36-2903 allows sunglasses to be worn around the neck via a black or brown strap. caveat, if you don't have the strap you get corrected if you just have the sunglasses themselves around your neck. :nob: I hate this place... Cheers to those drinking.

Basically anyone I know who's flown with the two-piece flight suit universally prefers it in the AOR.

Agreed. Two-piece flight suits are WAY more functional than a one piece. But I hear we'll never go to the two piece as an air force b/c of the ejection seat guys.

Guest Yoda
OK i fixed the post, sorry I can't spell.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...ortable%20shoes

Hmmm, and to think that you said something like because I spelled it Deed I was clueless :salut:

Seriously though about my B1 remark...it was just an example. A poor one in hindsight. It wasn't a knock on any aircrew. Just trying to point out that the mass is pretty much wearing blinders day to day in the AF and never see a bigger picture.

I respect aircrew tremendously. I do get a bit tired of 135 guys here at home station. There is a difference between supporting and catering.

In theatre though......no gripes. One thing I did learn here was what ..Huey I think pointed out about the grab n go. I plead ignorance on that one. Personally if I am back there I will step aside for the aircrew. Makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing surprising here, but yesterday I made the trek from CC to the BPC in order to get a wireless signal that was not directly in the 120 degree heat. As I cross over into the BPC I head to the first dormitory I see to get out of the blazing sun. When I enter, the halls & common areas are quiet, there is not a soul in this place. Sofas & chairs all unoccupied. I sit down for 3 min and while I do this a person in civilian clothes walks by, stops, and asks me "are you a resident of this dorm?" I reply no and he tells me to get out. I calmly respond that no one is here and there is no sign that I can see that tells me I can't be in there. He tells me that Chief slpanutz has released a policy prohibiting my being there and if I have a problem with it that his name is LTC Cherry. Deid Leadership 1 common sense 0. It cost him nothing to leave me be. I was not unruly nor was I taking anything from him. Like I said, I am not surprised, but maybe just a bit disheartened that people like this make it to LTC.

He tells me that Chief slpanutz has released a policy prohibiting my being there and if I have a problem with it that his name is LTC Cherry.

Jumangio, not directed at you. To tell the truth, I'm more "disheartened" (to use your word) that everyone at the Deid has to hide behind someone else. A Lt Col actually referenced a policy supposedly released by some E-9 as the reason you couldn't be there? Seriously? Where's the leadership in that? Why didn't he just take the 10 seconds to explain that the building has xyz problem (or whatever) and no one could be in there due to that fact or hell, for that matter, just tell you that he was Lt Col abc and he was telling you to leave. I could at least respect the fact that he was taking responsibility for telling you to leave, but he just pushed that over to some E-9 and made it sound like he was just the messenger. It goes straight back to the title of this thread, Leadership...and that ain't it.

2 thoughts on this:

1) Chiefs don't make policy. Commanders do.

2) When did we all have to start hiding behind somebody else instead of taking responsibility for our own orders and directives? This is the same sort of non-sense that happens all the time at the Deid. It needs to stop.

Edited by Herk Driver

Guest Hueypilot812

Perhaps a sign would be nice, rather than thumping people on the head for breaking some "policy" that I'm sure was only spread via email.

Nothing surprising here, but yesterday I made the trek from CC to the BPC in order to get a wireless signal that was not directly in the 120 degree heat. As I cross over into the BPC I head to the first dormitory I see to get out of the blazing sun. When I enter, the halls & common areas are quiet, there is not a soul in this place. Sofas & chairs all unoccupied. I sit down for 3 min and while I do this a person in civilian clothes walks by, stops, and asks me "are you a resident of this dorm?" I reply no and he tells me to get out. I calmly respond that no one is here and there is no sign that I can see that tells me I can't be in there. He tells me that Chief slpanutz has released a policy prohibiting my being there and if I have a problem with it that his name is LTC Cherry. Deid Leadership 1 common sense 0. It cost him nothing to leave me be. I was not unruly nor was I taking anything from him. Like I said, I am not surprised, but maybe just a bit disheartened that people like this make it to LTC.

What Herkdriver said...

On top of that, an explanation might be easier to swallow (sts). There are plenty of decent policies out there that have great rationales, but without an explanation, they seem stupid and obnoxious. Oh, and stating, "I'm LTC XYZ. Let me see your ID... Ok, you need to leave this area because of policy ABC signed by Colonel Jon Baggadoughnuts"

rank≠common sense

Perhaps a sign would be nice, rather than thumping people on the head for breaking some "policy" that I'm sure was only spread via email.

No argument on that from me. Completely agree. Email does not equate to leadership.

Edited by Herk Driver

Email does not equate to leadership.
Fuckin' A Right

For the young and impressionable officers out there, read that out loud to yourself. Now do it again. Keep doing it until there is no possible way you'll ever forget.

Guest whyme?
Threadjack coming..

Sorry for you guys who hate the idea, but if the price to pay to get a two piece flight suit is the gay tiger stripe, I will happily play along. Hey, I have to take a dump, instead of ranger rolling my flight suit in the vain attempt to prevent shit water on the floor from staining my bag, I'll just take the top off and throw it over the wall. Hey, instead of basically getting naked in combat to take a dump, I'll just drop my pants. Instead of wearing a ridiculous shoulder holster that flops around, I'll wear a paddle holster that actually serves a useful purpose. That's just a pilot's input, ask your sweaties if they'd prefer a uniform where they could just take off their top and not become dangerously dehydrated while loading and pre-flighting the aircraft. Basically anyone I know who's flown with the two-piece flight suit universally prefers it in the AOR.

shoulda taken a combat dump prior to the step. Thats just me. And a walmart 96 count bottle of imodium with a ton of cotton for killing the sound will bind the whole crew up till you get back.... Technique Only.

• 1 month later...

Random dumbness at the deid rant: Past few weeks a day hasn't gone by where I've noticed at least a few idiots wearing PT sweatpants in the daytime! The hotter it gets the more I see. UFB! This defies explantion

Did anyone else see the Deid email about the phantom shitter being back ? Yup, he hit the shower stall at the Security Forces Cadillac.

Edited by vsu8992

So, we're coming back from a 12 our sortie yesterday...with brief/debrief and attending a Fallen Warrior ceremony right after debrief (Sorry...tangent...Fallen Warrior ceremony really put things into perspective for me. Here are two Marines who have paid the ultimate sacrifice...almost makes me feel that my own petty gripes are completely insignificant. If only more of the people on this base showed up for those things, maybe they'd have some clue as to the mission we're supporting rather than building their little desert empires.)

Anyway, we're on the way back through the gate that separates CC from Ops Town. There's like 3 enlisted dudes checking IDs...awesome, we should fly right through. Except that there's a SFS Capt (well, Capt is a strong term...she looked more like a beachball in a uniform) screaming at all three of these guys. Now, I'm not an SFS guy, but I was pretty confident that checking IDs was not that complex, and these guys probably had it well in hand before she started berating them and distracting them from checking IDs.

As one of my buddies put it while he was getting a ticket..."The guy who serves me dinner at the chow hall is providing more support to the war effort than you are right now."

Guadalcanal

Tarawa

Schweinfurt

Anzio

Leyte Gulf

Normandy

Al Udeid

Is this this generation of leadership's legacy?

Seriously?!

Now that your Desert Storm book is finished, maybe you can start one about how mandatory reflective belts and sock color regulations helped OEF/OIF.

VSU...I've been wondering the same thing...unless maybe they're trying not to get sunburned? I have noticed that it seems actually be HOTTER in PT gear than my flightsuit, probably because in my flightsuit the sun isn't directly baking my skin like a convection oven.

Not being a CC guy, I can only assume that people are going in the hole on laundry, and running out of clothes. All they have left are sweatpants while they wait for their shorts to get back from the cleaners. I think I'd rather just wear my uniform, but that's just me.

It would help if they put out the fallen warrior notices more than five minutes in advance and not keep changing the times. Granted, it depends on an airplane arrival time. For some of us, it takes getting on two different bus lines to get to the flightline.

So, we're coming back from a 12 our sortie yesterday...with brief/debrief and attending a Fallen Warrior ceremony right after debrief (Sorry...tangent...Fallen Warrior ceremony really put things into perspective for me. Here are two Marines who have paid the ultimate sacrifice...almost makes me feel that my own petty gripes are completely insignificant. If only more of the people on this base showed up for those things, maybe they'd have some clue as to the mission we're supporting rather than building their little desert empires.)

Anyway, we're on the way back through the gate that separates CC from Ops Town. There's like 3 enlisted dudes checking IDs...awesome, we should fly right through. Except that there's a SFS Capt (well, Capt is a strong term...she looked more like a beachball in a uniform) screaming at all three of these guys. Now, I'm not an SFS guy, but I was pretty confident that checking IDs was not that complex, and these guys probably had it well in hand before she started berating them and distracting them from checking IDs.

As one of my buddies put it while he was getting a ticket..."The guy who serves me dinner at the chow hall is providing more support to the war effort than you are right now."

So the real question is, what was he gettting the ticket for?

So the real question is, what was he gettting the ticket for?

Speeding. 30 klicks in a 25. On his way to preflight a jet for a 12-hour sortie, BTW.

Not being a CC guy, I can only assume that people are going in the hole on laundry, and running out of clothes. All they have left are sweatpants while they wait for their shorts to get back from the cleaners. I think I'd rather just wear my uniform, but that's just me.

It would help if they put out the fallen warrior notices more than five minutes in advance and not keep changing the times. Granted, it depends on an airplane arrival time. For some of us, it takes getting on two different bus lines to get to the flightline.

That checks too...but I was thinking more of the shoe clerks that need the exposure...what else are they doing? Charter a bus one day a week, go pick up some extra shoes from around their offices, and make them hang out in Ops Town until the next one shows...carefully supervised by an operator, of course...we don't want them running loose in Ops Town.

Speeding. 30 klicks in a 25. On his way to preflight a jet for a 12-hour sortie, BTW.

Thank god they're there to enforce that speed limit. BTW, if you've ever driven the SOF truck, you can get it up to 90 KPH from the stop by the DV lounge to the stop sign to turn right to get to the tower. I've ops checked that one.

Thank god they're there to enforce that speed limit. BTW, if you've ever driven the SOF truck, you can get it up to 90 KPH from the stop by the DV lounge to the stop sign to turn right to get to the tower. I've ops checked that one.

I don't know about that...but the "combat" Delica we're driving for pre-flight crew will do a decent peel-out if you side-step the clutch.

The things you learn when you're deployed with a former racecar driver....

Pawnman,

I was in line that day too. I'm not 100% sure you can call that SFS Capt a "she". "It" checked my ID and I'm pretty sure her hands were about twice the size of mine.

What is with all of the deportations lately? Nothing caps a 20+ hour day like getting told the scum bags at immigration said you failed to out process properly last time when you know for a fact you did. I got off lucky and just hopped on the same jet I came in on and went back to Rammstein to wait for the rest of my crew to catch up. I've heard of people having to ride a 130 to Ali and back. Like I wanted to be in your worthless god forsaken country anyways.

Why do we stand for this shit, it is blatant harassment. Someone seriously screwed the pooch when it came to negotiating the lease that made us the Qatari AF. I never leave base, they should be at the gate checking people that do, not adding 2 hours of pain to an already long day.

:flipoff: