Buff Down In Guam

B52gator

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope, he was just along for the ride. flight surgeons have to punch their currency once a month...

Thanks, that's what I was assuming... but I also would of assumed they would take their rides on a more passenger friendly aircraft like a C17 or 130.

Thanks, that's what I was assuming... but I also would of assumed they would take their rides on a more passenger friendly aircraft like a C17 or 130.

and pass up the chance to ride on the Mighty BUFF?!?! All depends what base those guys are at. Except for single-seaters obviously, they can probably "ride" in just about anything. At Guam, I am sure that guy had a lot of "C" rides.

the board said it believed the stabilizers malfunctioned while the bomber was in a fast descent from 14,000 feet to 1,000 feet

That descent was good reason for the nav's, EWO and flight surgeon to eject. I'm curious if anyone tried to eject. I don't know what the minimums are today, but at one time when you got to 3,000 ft AGL under those circumstances, you ejected. Actually under spin or dive conditions, the directive was to eject no later than 18,000 ft AGL. Does any one know if the EWO/Gunner ever got an altimeter and heading indicator? I recommended that to an accident investigation board way back when.

That descent was good reason for the nav's, EWO and flight surgeon to eject. I'm curious if anyone tried to eject. I don't know what the minimums are today, but at one time when you got to 3,000 ft AGL under those circumstances, you ejected. Actually under spin or dive conditions, the directive was to eject no later than 18,000 ft AGL. Does any one know if the EWO/Gunner ever got an altimeter and heading indicator? I recommended that to an accident investigation board way back when.

I've been out for just about a year and the last time I checked the "controlled' bailout alt was 2k while the "uncontrolled" was 12 or 15k...i can't remember for sure...the boldface has been wiped from my memory...except for trigger ring pull. Somewhere in there it said 3 tried to eject...would be interesting to know which 3. In any case, Godspeed Raider 21

Edited by b52gator

I've been out for just about a year and the last time I checked the "controlled' bailout alt was 2k while the "uncontrolled" was 12 or 15k...i can't remember for sure...the boldface has been wiped from my memory...except for trigger ring pull. Somewhere in there it said 3 tried to eject...would be interesting to know which 3. In any case, Godspeed Raider 21

http://www.stripes.com/09/feb09/crash_report.pdf

Pilot, Radar Nav, and Nav (see page 7).

For all my BUFF crewdogs and m/x out there, do you see this as being more ammo for getting some sort of flight data recorder in there? How many other airframes in the AF don't have fdrs?

I think the 52 may be the last one. AMC years ago paid to have them installed in the 135, but ACC never came up with the money for the 52. Not sure if the T-38 or U-2 has one or not.

Edited by Nole_96

and pass up the chance to ride on the Mighty BUFF?!?! All depends what base those guys are at. Except for single-seaters obviously, they can probably "ride" in just about anything. At Guam, I am sure that guy had a lot of "C" rides.

I know it's already been said, but I think they were flying the mission for an airshow. We have a couple of the flight docs ride along on those to maintain their currency.

Edited by beast05

I think the 52 may be the last one. AMC years ago paid to have them installed in the 135, but ACC never came up with the money for the 52. Not sure if the T-38 or U-2 has one or not.

Not on the T-38 (at least A models) or the U-2.

Edited by Spoo

Not on HH-60s, we do have something similar to the HUD tapes on fighters, but you have to turn it on manually.

Pretty sure they're talking about an flight data recorder as opposed to a cockpit voice recorder. Two different things on most airplanes.

Edited by 60 driver

• 5 months later...