The Gratitude Campaign

M2

The Gratitude Campaign

In case you are the recipient of this gesture, it is good to know they are just saying 'thanks.'

Here's the story...

For the past several years as I've been traveling around the country, I've been approaching soldiers in the airports and thanking them for serving for us. On several occasions I have noticed that it felt a little awkward for both of us. There are several reasons, some of which I am even just now learning as I produce this film and talk to more soldiers. But they have always appreciated being thanked, and I have always felt better having expressed my gratitude.

I started to think that it would be nice if civilians had a gesture or sign that they could use to say "thank you" quickly and easily without even having to approach. I did some research and found the sign that we are now using.

Is this limited to the military? Not at all. If you look around you I'm sure that you'll find lots of people who are serving their communities, from local to global. If you appreciate their service, give them a sign. Say "thank you."

And the sign...

The sign we are using is intended to communicate "thank you from the bottom of my heart. "

To make the sign simply place your hand on your heart as though you're saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Then pull your hand down and out, bending at the elbow (not the wrist), stopping for a moment at about the belly button with your hand flat, palm up, angled toward the person you're thanking.

Please note that there has been some debate as to whether this sign is a recognized sign from American Sign Language. With the utmost respect to those who know and use ASL, we are currently consulting several authorities on ASL to come to a resolution on that issue. We will update this page with our findings. In the mean time we would suggest that you use this sign only to thank those who serve, and do not assume that those who use ASL will recognize this sign.

Cheers! M2

Guest bravodelta79

Being a civilian who spends a lot of time at airports, I agree with the "awkward" sentiment of thanking soldiers traveling through airports. I have done it a few times with the awkward "thanks for serving" and the not-so-bad group applause with a large group of soldiers walking through.

The best thing (i.e. least awkward) I've done is anonymously paid some dinner bills for soldiers eating at the same airport restaurant as me.

I have thanked folks I see in uniform. Well, not really thanks but if I see a single uniform wearer or a small group I go over and give a handshake and ask if they are on the way home or on the way over. I either follow that up with a welcome home or be safe over there. I generally try and convey that I am active duty AF without it looking or sounding foolish. A large group is difficult and they have enough eyes on them as it is.

I have been asked by friends and family about this topic, how to show gratitude. I can't remember if I saw it or read it but a great idea is to do "something" real. We all see the ribbon bumper stickers and the ribbon on the tree or likewise, these are all nice but in my op an "easy way out". Anyone can put on a bumper sticker, but really is that anything more than a symbol? I don't mean to diminish that really. What I suggest to those who ask is to do something. For instance in the aiport, if you are in line getting a paper or a candy bar......and see a uniform: step aside and let them go to the front of the line. If you feel like it; buy their paper for them or buy their combo meal at the restaurant. You think they won't remember that or appreciate that? They will.

I had dinner with my dad and brother last summer and a few tables over was my dad's co-worker and his family. He came over and said hello and shook my hand and said "thanks for serving". He asked when I was deploying as well. We were eating as they got up to leave. He stopped by and told my dad,: "it's on us tonight for his service". He had paid for all three of our meals. I stood up and shook his hand for that. THAT's gratitude.

All politics and sides of the fence and all that bs aside: if you can do "something" that makes a direct impact....DO THAT!

Personally, I would have used the old Sammy Sosa...

t1_sammy_sosa.jpg

...but I guess this works too.

Actually, I would think the "old Sammy Sosa" would be more widely recognized and understood by those in uniform...

Cheers! M2

I was getting a new ID card last week and speaking to the lady at the desk. Her husband is an E6, on his third Army deployment (that's 15 months now) to the dirt, she works full time, has 2 young kids and is taking college courses. I walked away thanking her and her husband for the sacrifices they are making. Without a doubt, her sacrifices are nothing compared to the deployed SM's, but are noteworthy nonetheless. I have been the recipient of the free lunch by strangers and will gladly return it. Doing something "real" besides a bumper sticker does stay with you a lot longer.

I always feel like the thank-you's given to me are undeserved because I haven't been to the desert. Most people don't know (or care) whether you've been deployed, just appreciate the fact that you are serving. I politely accept the thank-yous and thank them for their support, but I've never accepted anything material for it. I politely decline and make every effort to not offend them.

I definitely try to thank others in uniform as well.

I returned from leave yesterday from my training TDY so my wife and kids took me to the airport. I used my military ID to check-in and the lady at the ticket counter asked if I wanted a pass for the wife and kids so obviously I said yes. She thanked me for serving and that was pretty cool hooking us up with the passes.

Guest MizzNav
I always feel like the thank-you's given to me are undeserved because I haven't been to the desert. Most people don't know (or care) whether you've been deployed, just appreciate the fact that you are serving. I politely accept the thank-yous and thank them for their support, but I've never accepted anything material for it. I politely decline and make every effort to not offend them.

I feel super weird when people thank me, seeing as how i have 1 semester left before i enter AD. I know how you feel, and it always throws me off guard.

Not to hijack, but how many people get the "baby killer" type comments? On campus, every once in a while i will get one, but not too bad. It kinda makes me laugh because those people are so ignorant of the real world.

Not to hijack, but how many people get the "baby killer" type comments? On campus, every once in a while i will get one, but not too bad. It kinda makes me laugh because those people are so ignorant of the real world.

tommybmp.jpg

"When you get home and encounter a war protester, walk up to him and shake his hand. Then look at his girl friend and wink at her because she knows she's dating a pussy."

- Gen Tommy Franks

Guest TheBurt

The best way I've found to express my thanks to our soldiers/marines in an airport, when you see a group of them at the airport lounge, go buy them a round of drinks. It's not akward, and they appreciate it.

When I was a casual Lt at Moody, I had someone buy me lunch at Sonic on just my 3rd day of active duty. It was the first time anyone had said thanks and I was completely thrown off. Once I'd learned what the man had done, I approached him and told him thanks for lunch and decided to talk with him for a bit. He ended up being from florida and running a deep sea fishing boat. He gave me his card and invited me down to go fishing with him anytime I'd like. I never ended up going fishing but I will never forget that "thank you".

I get thanked almost everytime I'm in the airport or any other time I'm in uniform running errands and the like. It does create an awkward moment but it does mean a lot to me. I haven't really formed an opinion of the gratitude campaign, but it is good to know about if someone makes that gesture at me.

It was pointed out to me by some brits visiting HRT a few weeks back that we're lucky to have this kind of support. Apparently, in Britain, random "Thank You"s and the like are few and far between. Good times.

Thanking a troop would require talking to a stranger. Here in Britain, that's not seen as sign of kindness...its more a sign of insanity, extreme emergency, or that one is a Yank. Anyone who's experienced the London Tube system knows what I mean.

Thanking a troop would require talking to a stranger. Here in Britain, that's not seen as sign of kindness...its more a sign of insanity, extreme emergency, or that one is a Yank. Anyone who's experienced the London Tube system knows what I mean.

Whereas I would agree that the British are much more reserved than Americans, you make it sound like they are unfriendly, which is not the case. I found the Brits to be very cordial, especially towards Americans. We are two people divided by a common language, or something like that!

Cheers! M2