Anyone have a side job?

Spartacus

Did a search and got a little info but not what I was really looking for. Does anyone do a side job in addition to your flying job? I am sure that it is difficult if not impossible with the current state of the Air Force but I have heard of people teaching night classes or something like that for a few extra $$$. I have been thinking of doing something like real estate or other "creative" ideas to bring in some extra cash to pay off debt. I know that to work another job you have to get permission but do you have to get the ok if you and your wife are doing some sort of venture together etc? I am basically asking if many of you do things just on the weekends or whatever? That is kind of what I am looking at. :flag_waving:

Guest JorryFright21

I have a small photography business on the side. Who's gonna tell me not to? Then, how are they gonna stop me?

I write magazine articles and books, but that's an easily transportable thing.

Mrs. brick (just retired two weeks ago from USAF) had a guy in her office in the Pentagon who was a realtor and a blue suiter.

It's possible. There is a reg that covers it if you choose to follow it.

For an intellectual property kind of thing, it's lame and I blew it off. For a job where you have off-duty work hours to keep, etc., I'd definitely follow the rules.

Also, income earned outside of the military is subject to the state taxes in which you earned it even if you are in a state that doesn't tax military income.

(just retired two weeks ago from USAF)

Sorry if I missed the announcement, but congrats on joining the retirement rolls! It will be two years in April since I hung up the uniform, and early next month it will have been two years since I got a haircut! The first couple of months are an adjustment, but it will quickly settle in and getting a nice stipend every month for doing pretty much nothing is nice!

Cheers! M2

Sorry if I missed the announcement, but congrats on joining the retirement rolls! It will be two years in April since I hung up the uniform, and early next month it will have been two years since I got a haircut! The first couple of months are an adjustment, but it will quickly settle in and getting a nice stipend every month for doing pretty much nothing is nice!

Cheers! M2

Thanks, but not for me yet (next June). Mrs brick, also a USAF officer, let it go after 20 years. Having been a sq/cc, school grad, etc. she took a look at how O-6s lived and decided 'no thanks.'

And while I envy you the 'natural look' in hirsute fashion, Mother Nature has taken care of most of my haircuts.........

Edited by brickhistory

It will be two years in April since I hung up the uniform, and early next month it will have been two years since I got a haircut! Cheers! M2

So that really is a picture of you next to your name. And I'll this time I thought it was a caveman.

Guest Sparky
And while I envy you the 'natural look' in hirsute fashion, Mother Nature has taken care of most of my haircuts.........

"2"

Here at Barksdale there are quite a few of us that are into real estate. examples include mortgage officers, real estate agents, slum lords (me), flippers (me), developers, builders, land speculation/investment (also me). If you want any specifics on rental properties (I only deal in high-end rentals and only rent to military officers or NCO's...not that I discriminate against Airmen, but they can't usually afford the houses I have for rent) then send me a PM. Just sold a house last week and buying another one down in SA next week...takes minimal time and there is money to be made. Just make sure you find a good balance and don't let it affect your career. If you are young in your AF career, you may consider getting your start by purchasing homes in each location where you get stationed. By living in the property while you are there you get a break on the interest rate since it is initially your primary residence.....when selecting a house to live in, ask yourself if this would also make a good rental property for AF members in the future. Before you know it..you will have several houses around the country. Good luck! Sparky a.k.a Pinhead

Does anyone do a side job in addition to your flying job?

Ha. I write OPRs, EPRs, decoration citations, and process the packages for all the above for the whole squadron. I also plan/organize/execute squadron parties, fundraisers, CC calls, Hi/Byes, and any other random excuse to make everybody come in to work and pretend to like it. On the side, I also manage the squadron Life Support shop, track people's training beans, handle my own finance/personnel issues (i.e. travel vouchers, paper and DTS, HFP/CTZE paperwork, ADPs, CROs, etc.) execute countless hours of ancillary training, wade through no less than 30 useless emails per day, and maintain my personal fitness. Oh yeah, I get to fly occasionally too. All that, and I'm just an LT.

Ha. I write OPRs, EPRs, decoration citations, and process the packages for all the above for the whole squadron. I also plan/organize/execute squadron parties, fundraisers, CC calls, Hi/Byes, and any other random excuse to make everybody come in to work and pretend to like it. On the side, I also manage the squadron Life Support shop, track people's training beans, handle my own finance/personnel issues (i.e. travel vouchers, paper and DTS, HFP/CTZE paperwork, ADPs, CROs, etc.) execute countless hours of ancillary training, wade through no less than 30 useless emails per day, and maintain my personal fitness. Oh yeah, I get to fly occasionally too. All that, and I'm just an LT.

Man, if more than one segmant of that sentence is true at any given time....someone has officially made you their bitch...actually, a number of people. I hope it was more sarcastic. :)

Edited by Boxhead

Man, if more than one segmant of that sentence is true at any given time....someone has officially made you their bitch...actually, a number of people. I hope it was more sarcastic. :)

I guess you could say that...I'm an exec. And yes, the job sucks.

Guest Sparky
I guess you could say that...I'm an exec. And yes, the job sucks.

That is about standard in the AF....10% of the people doing 90% of the work, sometimes u have to say "what the fvck" and take care of numero uno for a change.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wildblue

I'd like to give this thread a bump, if the mods don't mind. I am very interested in any other advice/experience/ideas you may have about a small side job. I know that it's out of the question during UPT, but I would like to have something going during casual and post-UPT.

I was thinking about doing the reserve cop thing...out of curiosity does anybody know anyone who's done that?

I applied and was accepted into a reserve deputy program. I had to turn it down due to my schedule, but FYI it is a non-paying job here. (But you do get the full POST training for free.) I guess you could easily transfer when you PCS and some municipalities might offer paying spots.

There is a reg that covers it if you choose to follow it.

My understanding is that as long as it doesn't interfere with your duties (subjective) and you don't consult for a firm that has contracts with the government, then you are okay. Please correct me if that's not the case.

Thanks!

I'd like to give this thread a bump, if the mods don't mind. I am very interested in any other advice/experience/ideas you may have about a small side job. I know that it's out of the question during UPT, but I would like to have something going during casual and post-UPT.

I applied and was accepted into a reserve deputy program. I had to turn it down due to my schedule, but FYI it is a non-paying job here. (But you do get the full POST training for free.) I guess you could easily transfer when you PCS and some municipalities might offer paying spots.

My understanding is that as long as it doesn't interfere with your duties (subjective) and you don't consult for a firm that has contracts with the government, then you are okay. Please correct me if that's not the case.

Thanks!

You are suppossed to get your CC's signed approval for stuff like that. You'd have to read the reg to get the specifics but consider what the USAF would do/think if you were hurt while earning a $ from somebody else. You probably would be covered insurance-wise by your secondary employer, but USAF is now out a healthy body because you were working for someone else. I'm not sure how that would go over unless you had previously asked, "Mother, may I?"

Edited by brickhistory

I fly a couple of times a month with the county sheriff. My deal is only volunteer, so no money changes hands. The only paperwork I had to do was a "High Risk Activity Worksheet" for my boss where I explain that what I do (flying) has risks but that I have the training to mitigate the risks. So...no issues.

I am told by my military lawyer friend that it is acceptable to receive compensation as well, as long as my military career does not suffer. He stated multiple examples of professionals working on the civilian side and making a fairly good living. He cited examples with lawyers, dentists, pharmacists and doctors. You will also find CFIs making money on the side. There is another piece of paperwork to push through your boss (up to the wing commander I think). In layman's terms, your side job must not reflect badly on the military. So, if your side job is "prostitute" you may not be given the green light. If your job helps the nation, the expect the rubber stamp.

I recommend that you talk with your local JAG, to find out what is acceptable and what paperwork you need to do to make it legal with the military.

I put up half of the money for AimHigherJets.com to get it started with my dad. I also helped build the website. He now does all of the ordering and shipping. I don't really consider it a job though. I just help him out when I get the chance (which isn't very often). The store is actually doing really well. We're starting to do custom squadron models (instead of those lame generic tailflashes) for about the same price as the BX models as long as you order in groups of 15 or more. He's having a blast and I didn't mind helping him build a successful business that he loves doing.

Edited by c21guy

I put up half of the money for AimHigherJets.com to get it started with my dad. I also helped build the website. He now does all of the ordering and shipping. I don't really consider it a job though. I just help him out when I get the chance (which isn't very often). The store is actually doing really well. We're starting to do custom squadron models (instead of those lame generic tailflashes) for about the same price as the BX models as long as you order in groups of 15 or more. He's having a blast and I didn't mind helping him build a successful business that he loves doing.

If I may! That was an awesome job of getting in a plug there for your pop without it really looking like a plug. I am going to check out the website right now!

If I may! That was an awesome job of getting in a plug there for your pop without it really looking like a plug. I am going to check out the website right now!

Haha, thanks. I have a buddy who shall remain nameless that is very heavily involved in real-estate and he is still recognized as an awesome pilot and good at his "additional duty" similar to the one mentioned above. I think at the end of the day its about getting the AF job done while also taking care of yourself/family.