Switching from heavy to bomber

Fozzy Bear

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by HerkDerka:

The B-2 is an open program. No MWS prerequisite.

HD

So I guess you'd get your -38 qual in house @ Whiteman (for the heavy guys)? Kind of like how they do things for the U-2 @ Beale?

Guest C-21 Pilot

AFPC sent the B-2 application process to all of the MAJCOMs a few months back.

I remember it specifically stating that you had to have been tracked into the T-38 and that no airlift/tanker pilots were eligible.

I would look at trying to get the T-38 qual, and the easiest way that I know of in applying/accepting the U-2 and doing your time there:

U-2 Info

From here, you'll get the T-38 qual, and will have a better chance. I don't know or have ever heard of this happening though... (Heavy vs. U-2 vs. B-2)

Originally posted by HerkDerka:

The B-2 is an open program. No MWS prerequisite.

HD

That used to be the case. I think it has changed, from what I hear. *DISCLAIMER* I have absolutely no reference or reg to back it up, and I don't even remember who told me, but I recall someone telling me exactly what C-21 driver said. I think one main reason that was the T-38 qual itself cost even more money on top of B-2 training.

The B-2 program is no longer available to guys who didnt track 38s.

When this changed General Handy, AMC/CC at the time, informed AETC and ACC that AMC units would no longer be taking guys who washed out of IFF or RTU... so goes the story I heard.

Both are relatively new policy changes (within the last 2 years).

Chuck

Originally posted by Chuck17:

When this changed General Handy, AMC/CC at the time, informed AETC and ACC that AMC units would no longer be taking guys who washed out of IFF or RTU... so goes the story I heard.

If that's true, then well played, General.

Guest flyguy13
The B-2 program is no longer available to guys who didnt track 38s.
Same for b-1s & 52s?

[ 31. July 2006, 12:42: Message edited by: ErikG ]

Originally posted by Chuck17:

If you dont track 38s you will not drop bombs.

Thats the way it is now, who knows if it will change again.

Chuck

I guess you never heard about the MOAB.

[ 31. July 2006, 13:02: Message edited by: ClearedHot ]

Guest elroy

There is guy at Randolph who started in tankers, crossed over to U-2's and then Stink Bugs. Currently flying T-6's. Not sure if those changes mentioned above would cut that out...it happens.

Guest thefranchise

intersting

checking the whiteman site for pre-reqs about 2 months ago it still shows that all candidates need to have been T-38 experience.

is this change real recent?

Again, shouldnt have used ABSOLUTE terms on this board of all places... BUT, unless you are a T-38 type in UPT, dont expect to have the opportunity to drop bombs... unless you do some crazy crossflow or are a secret squirrel.

Chuck

I was hearing noise from a friend at T-1 PIT that there was a movement afoot to start dropping bombers to T-1 studs again.

Again it was just noise and the person that was generating the noise was an O-5 new Sq/CC.

Guest Rainman A-10

Anyone other than scoobs have an answer (no offense there scoobs but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been to SUPT).

If B-52 guys do track to T-38s, does anyone know why? I thought they had T-1s so you could get used to flying a big airplane that didn't respond right away to control inputs. What am I missing?