Wedding Mess Dress Etiquette

Guest KM

Guest acv105
I've got one that hasn't come up yet.

I am getting married next summer and my wedding party is a mix of friends and family from home along with some military bros.

Obviously I'm not going to have some in mess dress combined with some in tuxes... my fiance' would laugh at me for even thinking that was a possibility. (Not that that conversation happened or anything)

Is it :rainbow: for me to wear my mess dress and the rest in tuxedos? Like some have said, I'm not trying to show off or anything, I'm just proud of what I do and on that particular day why not represent who you are?

A friend of mine had the same problem and he had everyone in tuxes but him. Depending on how many people you have, you could have your non mil friends and family in tuxes and your mil buddies in mess dress for a sabre arch.

Edited by acv105

My best friend and best man was also in his mess dress (and had more medals than I did); and one of my groomsmen was in his Marine formal uniform. The two other groomsmen were in tuxes. To be honest I just looked at the pics and it doesn't look bad; it just shows you the diversity of buds I had. I've been to weddings that had everyone in mess dress, and that was cool too. No one went around checking to see who had the most medals either. It is a moot point, and anyone who fixates on it needs to reassess their priorities...

Cheers! M2

• 1 year later...

Instead of starting a new thread...

I'm planning on getting married in my uniform. I know there is a Formal Dress that encorporates a white bow tie, blue vest instead of cumberbun, and a different white shirt. Does anyone know anymore about this uniform? I asked the lady at MCS at KRND and she had never heard of it. Same for Lackland.

Pulled from -2903:

Formal Dress: Configured same as mess dress. Wear white bow tie with square ends. Chain fasteners are not worn on jacket. White shirt is commercial design full dress with wing collar (the collar with the little triangle collar things). White, single-breasted, low-cut, rolled collar vest with pointed collar...wear instead of a cummerbund.

So you wear a white vest, white bow tie, and lose the chained buttons. (In theory) a more white-tie version of mess dress.

Edited by tomh220

It does bother me that no matter where you go, there are Marines are Soldiers in uniform parading their uniform while the Air Force is embarassed to be seen in uniform. Why do you think this is?

Is it possibly because the AF uniforms, compared to the Army, Marines, and some Navy, are considerably less attractive? Don't get me wrong, I'm as proud as can be to wear the uniform both serving and representing our country but even I see that our uniform are considerably less attractive and hard to get motvated wearing a business suit with fake pockets and dull silver buttons next to a marine officers black with shiny gold buttons and a white wheel cap etc looking like he's ready to :M16: . Hell, even my parents at my commissioning made the same observation after the ceremonies. I would love to see our uniforms have some sort of representation of which squadron you are in much like you see on the Army and Marine uniforms. Who knows, just my 2 cents.

I got married in my mess dress, my brother was in his Marine Corps Class A's, my other Brother and my friends were in a civilian tux.

Looked perfectly good and sixteen years later, we're still married.

The wedding ceremony isn't just for the groom.

Whatever you do, make sure everyone who's coming knows what to wear. I went to a buddies wedding and didn't know I was going to be in the pictures and a saber bearer. So yeah, I looked like an ass as the only non mess dress or tuxedo wearing person in their pictures. They thought it was funny.

I would love to see our uniforms have some sort of representation of which squadron you are in much like you see on the Army and Marine uniforms.

With the exception of flightsuits and coveralls (for aircraft mechanics), there are NO unit identifiers on Marine Corps uniforms. No patches, no tabs, nothing.

Not exactly about mess dress at a wedding but a friend of mine was just in a wedding recently and said that one of the groomsmen was a girl. She wore a black dress to fit in with the groomsmen instead of the white dresses the bridesmaids were wearing. Has anybody else ever seen this done before? It looked really weird to me seeing the pictures. And it wasn't the groom's sister or relative, just a friend.

• 1 year later...

Not exactly about mess dress at a wedding but a friend of mine was just in a wedding recently and said that one of the groomsmen was a girl. She wore a black dress to fit in with the groomsmen instead of the white dresses the bridesmaids were wearing. Has anybody else ever seen this done before? It looked really weird to me seeing the pictures. And it wasn't the groom's sister or relative, just a friend.

My sister in law got married last December. The "best man" was a 70 something woman who was the groom's best friend, mentor, business parter etc. They called her the "Madrina" instead of "best man".

Back on topic, they specifically asked me to be in uniform. I'm the only military member on that side of the family and they wanted the novelty I guess.

Has anyone ever bought a slim-fit tuxedo shirt to go with mess dress?

I just bought the shirt from AAFES and took it to a local tailor (that the entire base uses) to get it fitted. She did a phenomenal job, and it turned out much better than any slim-fits out there and in the end was still about $15-20 cheaper.

Back on topic, they specifically asked me to be in uniform. I'm the only military member on that side of the family and they wanted the novelty I guess.

I'm in the same boat. I was specifically asked to be in Mess Dress for my cousin's wedding. I am the only military person that is going to be there. I'm not part of the wedding party or anything. It's going to be a formal wedding and all. They said they "want me to be proud of my uniform" and I am. I just will feel a little out of place.

I'm in the same boat. I was specifically asked to be in Mess Dress for my cousin's wedding. I am the only military person that is going to be there. I'm not part of the wedding party or anything. It's going to be a formal wedding and all. They said they "want me to be proud of my uniform" and I am. I just will feel a little out of place.

Don't be - take their advice. I've worn my mess dress to non-military formal events. Wear it with pride.