Wedding Mess Dress Etiquette

Guest KM

When all the men in a wedding party are wearing mess dress, is it rude/inappropriate/in poor taste to display all your medals if you have more than the groom?

How in the hell are you suppose to score with a bridesmaid if you don't show some bling? Plus, it might be worth some free drinks at Hooters after the ceremony. And if you see some lieutenant with only one, be sure to walk up and spin it around. Always good for a laugh!

Technically, I didn't think there was an option for wearing "some" decorations on the mess dress. Is there?

Cheers! M2

How in the hell are you suppose to score with a bridesmaid if you don't show some bling? Plus, it might be worth some free drinks at Hooters after the ceremony. And if you see some lieutenant with only one, be sure to walk up and spin it around. Always good for a laugh!

Technically, I didn't think there was an option for wearing "some" decorations on the mess dress. Is there?

Cheers! M2

Well, since it's my husband I'm asking about, I hope he isn't worried about :bohica: with the :bellydancer:

Absolutely not.

You earned 'em (as gay as some of them may be), wear 'em.

That's what I am trying to tell him. He's afraid of looking like a Mexican general and upstaging the groom who only has a FAIP tour under his belt.

Edited by KM

Guest LocoF16
Well, since it's my husband I'm asking about, I hope he isn't worried about :bohica: with the :bellydancer:

That's what I am trying to tell him. He's afraid of looking like a Mexican general and upstaging the groom who only has a FAIP tour under his belt.

Damn, that was funny. Tell him to wear the medals. And tell him to get a login account...

Why don't you level the playing field and just have everyone wear tuxedo's?

That's a great idea - take a group of guys who have thrown down hundreds of dollars on a perfectly suitable formal uniform and make them thrown down more money on a tuxedo.

They're AF awards - 90% of them are worthless. Anybody who cares about how many medals he has on his chest needs to check his priorities.

Mess Dress at a wedding always made me wonder....

Most people I talk to would never wear a uniform, any uniform to any event if they had their option...Wear blues out to dinner with your family while on leave? Oh my God, that is just too gay. Not changing before going to the club, no way. Anything besides a bag at work, regardless of your flight schedule...unthinkable.

Then, on what is possibly the most important day to your family life, the one where pictures are going to tell the story for years, they want to wear a uniform and slap "I'm in the USAF" all over the wedding album. I just don't get it. Are these guys wearing their Class A to their kids graduations? First Communions, etc....if so, great, and feel free to wear your uniform anywhere, anytime with no scorn from me. However, if it is just a one time thing, and the thought of a uniform makes you puke at any other time, I just think it is kinda hypocritical.

I am not saying this instance is one of those negative times....the whole thread just made me think about the topic.

Guest Johann
Mess Dress at a wedding always made me wonder....

Most people I talk to would never wear a uniform, any uniform to any event if they had their option...Wear blues out to dinner with your family while on leave? Oh my God, that is just too gay. Not changing before going to the club, no way. Anything besides a bag at work, regardless of your flight schedule...unthinkable.

Then, on what is possibly the most important day to your family life, the one where pictures are going to tell the story for years, they want to wear a uniform and slap "I'm in the USAF" all over the wedding album. I just don't get it. Are these guys wearing their Class A to their kids graduations? First Communions, etc....if so, great, and feel free to wear your uniform anywhere, anytime with no scorn from me. However, if it is just a one time thing, and the thought of a uniform makes you puke at any other time, I just think it is kinda hypocritical.

I am not saying this instance is one of those negative times....the whole thread just made me think about the topic.

Maybe they're proud of the uniform?

Guest Safe&Clear

Well, I've only been in this situation once. As an old fart who's STILL not married, I've only had a few friends who've even invited my crazy a$$ to attend...

Anyway, that's not the point. Last time I dealt with this situation, the groom had apparently said to almost everyone "no medals". But Mr Clueless here didn't get the word. And I have a DFC.

So he was a bit pissed at Yours Truly. Not sure why-- nobody noticed but him. But nonetheless, I wished later I hadn't been the only one with medals on.

Throw your wings on your chest and don't bother with medals-- those little fvckers are way too expensive anyway. It ain't worth having an over- sensitive friend pissed off at ya.

Well, I've only been in this situation once. As an old fart who's STILL not married, I've only had a few friends who've even invited my crazy a$$ to attend...

Anyway, that's not the point. Last time I dealt with this situation, the groom had apparently said to almost everyone "no medals". But Mr Clueless here didn't get the word. And I have a DFC.

So he was a bit pissed at Yours Truly. Not sure why-- nobody noticed but him. But nonetheless, I wished later I hadn't been the only one with medals on.

Throw your wings on your chest and don't bother with medals-- those little fvckers are way too expensive anyway. It ain't worth having an over- sensitive friend pissed off at ya.

I have to say that I understand your point, but have to disagree. It comes down to the fundamental question that Boxhead brought up about wearing the mess dress to the wedding at all. The groom either chooses to wear the uniform like it supposed to be worn and that comes with having someone show up with more bling than he has possibly (since he did pick his groomsmen, it's not like you just showed up out of nowhere), or he decides to forgo the "embarrassment" factor and has everyone wear a tuxedo.

At some point, the groom has to grow some stones and pick his poison. Asking someone to show up out of uniform (sts) is not the right answer, IMHO.

Seriously, you really have to wonder about people who worry about other people having more medals than they do...especially on their wedding day!

And I think it is ridiculous to go the tux route. If you are not proud enough to wear your uniform on a formal occassion such as this, then maybe you shouldn't be wearing it at all!

Cheers! M2

Guest Jimmy
Seriously, you really have to wonder about people who worry about other people having more medals than they do...especially on their wedding day!

And I think it is ridiculous to go the tux route. If you are not proud enough to wear your uniform on a formal occassion such as this, then maybe you shouldn't be wearing it at all!

Cheers! M2

I don't understand the reason why Air Force people aren't as proud of their service as people in other services are. Dudes and dudettes will proudly tell you that they're a Soldier, or a Marine. I've only seen maybe one guy proudly state that he was an Airman...

...and that was only when he was asked for his rank. Sad.

If you already paid all that freaking money for the mess dress, why would you want to pay more to rent the damn tux?

We wore ours in my buddies wedding, and everyone got us drinks the whole weekend. I didn't pay for shit!

Besides that, it gave the wedding a different feeling with us being in mess dress. It was pretty cool.

I personally have always hated the mess dress, looks like a cheap tux--something a doorman would wear. I've always felt it was chosen by someone who wanted a formal uniform that looked sort of looked like a military uniform, but not overwhelmingly so. Compare it to Army, Navy or Marine formal uniforms.

So at my own wedding I wore service dress. I'm always proud to wear a uniform, but not so much the mess dress.

To the original question, I vote wear the medals you've earned. Though I will say the no one wears any isn't a bad idea. Really, they are a pain in the ass, expensive, and unless you've got a sh!tload they look kind of pathetic anyway.

I've got one that hasn't come up yet.

I am getting married next summer and my wedding party is a mix of friends and family from home along with some military bros.

Obviously I'm not going to have some in mess dress combined with some in tuxes... my fiance' would laugh at me for even thinking that was a possibility. (Not that that conversation happened or anything)

Is it :rainbow: for me to wear my mess dress and the rest in tuxedos? Like some have said, I'm not trying to show off or anything, I'm just proud of what I do and on that particular day why not represent who you are?

Obviously I'm not going to have some in mess dress combined with some in tuxes...

Why not?

for me to wear my mess dress and the rest in tuxedos?

That's what I did. I wore my mess dress and had all the guys in navy tuxedos. I think it looked pretty sharp. I would avoid mixing navy and black.

Is it :rainbow: for me to wear my mess dress and the rest in tuxedos?

That's exactly what I did. I wore my mess dress, best men (college buddies) all wore tuxedos, and saber bearers (obviously all AF), wore their mess dress.

I agree, I believe that if you aren't proud to wear your uniform in public or at a formal occasion then you need to reexamine your decision to be in the military.

It does bother me that no matter where you go, there are Marines are Soldiers in uniform parading their uniform while the Air Force is embarassed to be seen in uniform. Why do you think this is?

Edited by leadeagle05