Gun Talk

VL-16

PMAGs are awesome and can be bought for a fair price (unlike the HK steel ones which are 50$ a piece). Other polymer mags I've used in the AR are less than desirable. The thermolite mags from canada are about the worst.

Agreed. When it comes to Magpul's PMAGs there is no equal. However, most other polymer magazine manufacturers for ARs blow. I don't have any experience with the HK mags, but I heard they were ok. I probably wouldn't use them. For my AR-15s it's:

1. PMAGs

2. USGI w/Magpul self level follower

3. USGI w/green follower

In that order.

Edited by Timbonez

normal_img000027uh0.jpg

Thats all I have to say in this thread. I wish I still had my gun collection. After the election, I decided to spend more quality time with my guns and ammo, so I loaded the safe into my Zodiac. Unfortunately, the bayonet on my Polytech M14S poked a hole in the bottom of my Zodiac and everything sunk to the bottom of the lake. I've got the GPS coords though, so I may learn to scuba dive and try and recover some of the collection.

If you're talking about Magpul PMAGs, then they are probably the best magazine you can use for your AR.

Polymer mags used to be known for their inability to feed correctly. MAGPUL magazines are now considered to be the best in the world. Firearms instructor Pat Rogers advocates their use. http://www.eagtactical.com/ He's probably the top firearms instructor for military and police in the nation.

TangoDown Advanced Reliability Carbine magazines are also excellent. I wouldn't buy any polymer magazines except for those two brands.

Edited by Disco

Guest JollyFlight21
If you're talking about Magpul PMAGs, then they are probably the best magazine you can use for your AR.

I've gone through some shooter's courses with retired SWAT, and they aren't sold on them. They wouldn't buy them if they were the cheapest out there. They say once you get them cold, they become way too brittle and are worthless. They spoke of personal experience where they broke just extracting the mag from the weapon.

I've gone through some shooter's courses with retired SWAT, and they aren't sold on them. They wouldn't buy them if they were the cheapest out there. They say once you get them cold, they become way too brittle and are worthless. They spoke of personal experience where they broke just extracting the mag from the weapon.

I've only heard positive reviews, which far outnumber any negative ones. My own experiences with PMAGs have been positive as well. There was a recall on PMAGs a long while back on certain lots of the magazine, so maybe those retired SWAT guys had some bad ones. You can't please everyone I guess. No mechanical device is perfect, but if the SHTF I am using PMAGs. YMMV

Ammo update. I was out at Academy here in Abilene and they were out of just about everything in the handgun ammo. Had a few boxes of 9mm and some 45 but nothing else. Checked at Walmart and all they had in was 2 box's of WWB 45, which I got both, and about 6 boxes of the WWB in .38 Special. Both places said that they are having a hard time getting in anything in the hand gun ammo. I don't know if this is just in TX but they couldn't tell me when they were going to be getting in different kinds of ammo in. Is anybody else seeing this kind of ammo shortage in other states as well? But on to the PMAG's mag's for the -15 they had 4 or 5 in for 30.

It's the same all over. But the last gun show I went to there was a vendor who had ammo at WalMart prices.

By the way, were the WWB 50 or 100 count boxes?

Cheers! M2

Thinking of picking up a Mini 30 in the AM. $600. Original owner, no additional magazines, says 20 rds down the tube. What do you think?

I like the wood and black. The cheapest mini-30s I've seen online are $670 (then add about $25-$35 for FFL transfer plus background check). The one in the pics looks pretty good. When you go to see the guy tomorrow take a good look inside the receiver and down the bore. I'd say $600 is a fair price, but I'd try talking him down a little first. So this one only comes with a 5rd magazine? If you do buy it, try and find higher capacity magazines, preferably Ruger factory mags.

5 rd mag is it. Ruger mags seem pretty difficult to come by for the Mini 30. Mini 14s stuff is all over, but 30s are, i guess, a little more rare. If I buy it, I'll definitely be searching for a few 30 rd mags. I favor the mini 30 for the caliber, I haven't ventured into the .223 yet. I can by one type, and be fine.

Ammo update. I was out at Academy here in Abilene and they were out of just about everything in the handgun ammo. Had a few boxes of 9mm and some 45 but nothing else. Checked at Walmart and all they had in was 2 box's of WWB 45, which I got both, and about 6 boxes of the WWB in .38 Special. Both places said that they are having a hard time getting in anything in the hand gun ammo. I don't know if this is just in TX but they couldn't tell me when they were going to be getting in different kinds of ammo in. Is anybody else seeing this kind of ammo shortage in other states as well? But on to the PMAG's mag's for the -15 they had 4 or 5 in for 30.

Middle Georgia is baren as well. Even right after the election, if I went a couple days a week, I was almost always able to find some Blazer Brass or WWB in any caliber. Even the couple of local gun shops I frequent were staying stocked with WWB.

Now the Wal-Mart never has anything, one gun shop only has Wolf, and the other occasionally has some Speer Lawman for about $5 higher than it was 6 months ago.

..These days, I just buy it when I see it.

Edited by Fogo

Good grab then, and proof that there is ammo out there!

Cheers! M2

Yep, the funny thing is that I don't have a pistol that shoots .45 yet. Just stocking up. I will be getting one in the next few weeks just checked with a local store on the transfer fee price. Walmart said that when they get it in, they don't know what they are going to be getting in. I will defiantly be keeping an eye out for more. Especially in the .380 and .45. It seems that 9mm at Academy right now is easy to get, but in a couple of days who knows.

Yep, the funny thing is that I don't have a pistol that shoots .45 yet. Just stocking up. I will be getting one in the next few weeks just checked with a local store on the transfer fee price. Walmart said that when they get it in, they don't know what they are going to be getting in. I will defiantly be keeping an eye out for more. Especially in the .380 and .45. It seems that 9mm at Academy right now is easy to get, but in a couple of days who knows.

You show those anti-gun, anti-2d Amendment rights California hippies, boy....

Sorry, couldn't resist being a d1ck...

Polymer mags used to be known for their inability to feed correctly. MAGPUL magazines are now considered to be the best in the world. Firearms instructor Pat Rogers advocates their use. http://www.eagtactical.com/ He's probably the top firearms instructor for military and police in the nation.

TangoDown Advanced Reliability Carbine magazines are also excellent. I wouldn't buy any polymer magazines except for those two brands.

I took one of Pat's classes last year and it was probably some of the best gun money I've ever spent. He is an excellent instructor - he would make a great UPT instructor with his "fear, sarcasm, and ridicule" format.

That being said, he gave out a couple PMAGs and also passed around a couple that had broken in his class. All things humans make break and magazines are expendable items - the original AR mags were supposed to be one time use items but that was too spendy. I would rank mags in the following order

1) USGI with MagPul followers

1) PMAGs

3) USGI stock mags

4) HK mags

5) Others

Ok, so I have a funny story...

My husband got a gun for graduation.. yeah!

Well, he left a week later.. boo!

well, the gun is in a locked box-thingy..

it didn't dawn on me till he was killing the bunny, that I didn't know the "code" to open the box-thingy. So, we're talking and I say "Ya know, we have a gun for "home security" yet, I don't even know that code to open the box-thingy! What am i supposed to do? throw the box-thingy at an intruder and hope it does something?"--Now, I'm laughing as I say this, because I find this funny!

Poor husband told me the code, and then said "Um, do you even know anything about guns?"

Me:"Nope!"--I'm still laughing...

Husband: "Well, we'll have to change that.."

Me: "Yeah, I think that would be a good idea, otherwise you might end up wife-less!"

Husband: "That might not be a bad idea......."

hehehe..

I took one of Pat's classes last year and it was probably some of the best gun money I've ever spent. He is an excellent instructor - he would make a great UPT instructor with his "fear, sarcasm, and ridicule" format.

That being said, he gave out a couple PMAGs and also passed around a couple that had broken in his class. All things humans make break and magazines are expendable items - the original AR mags were supposed to be one time use items but that was too spendy. I would rank mags in the following order

1) USGI with MagPul followers

1) PMAGs

3) USGI stock mags

4) HK mags

5) Others

My top three are the same as your top three except that I put PMAGs first and the USGI w/Magpul follower second. Although you put both as 1. Is that a typo?

My husband got a gun for graduation.. yeah!
What kind of gun?

Question to those who keep up regularly with current gun prices...

I've drank the XD kool-aid and decided to buy one. Is $499 for a new in box 5" black XD-45 a good price? And has anyone heard any rumors on if there will be an XDm in 45 ACP anytime soon?

-9-

Question to those who keep up regularly with current gun prices...

I've drank the XD kool-aid and decided to buy one. Is $499 for a new in box 5" black XD-45 a good price? And has anyone heard any rumors on if there will be an XDm in 45 ACP anytime soon?

-9-

$499 is good... I paid $569 for my 4". You may want to handle the 5" (sts) before buying as it may be a bit nose heavy. Haven't heard about the XDm in 45, but springfield website is touting the new XDm 9mm as a 19+1 capacity.