Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest Unconfirmed Source

Everyone has a different method of course but to expand on what M2 said, I have stairs in my house with my family all living upstairs so my first round in my 12 guage is #4 shot followed by 3 loads of OO and then a slug. My theory being that the #4 is a big enough pellet to get the point across but still enough to spread out down the stairs, of course by the time it hits it would be promptly followed by the OO and slug.

Going with a little more spread when you have your "subject" confined such as in stairway gives you a better chance of making a good first contact in a high stress situation so that you can follow up with more aimed shots to follow.

Just my .02 your mileage may very.

Holy crap, reply #1,001. I don't even own a gun right now and I still felt the need to post here. Here's to you guns :M16::flag_waving:

Seriously get one. And you need to get a decidedly American one (i.e. AR-15, Colt 1911, M1 Garand, etc.).

EDIT: Punctuation!

Edited by Timbonez

I got my XD-45 last fri. Here are some pics of it and my Bersa 380.

DSCF2774.jpg

DSCF2778.jpg

M2, what holster do you use to carry your XD? and what do you recommend to carry with? I was looking at Corbon, DPX and some others at a store here in LR. The price was the same on them all, and some were +P's. I know that the +P are a hotter load and have more energy behind them.

Brick, I would look into getting a Knoxx breachersgrip stock. A couple of guys in my squadron have them and they say its stupid easy to shot. I have seen it and its great.

Beware border residents... ATF is out in full force looking at guns on the border. I guess the Mexican government is getting their wish. I got a call this AM from the ATF regarding some receivers and an FN PS90 I purchased through an FFL while stationed in Texas (Laughlin). They wanted to see the receivers and the PS90. I've since sold some of the receivers I had built into rifles to friends in the AF and ditched the PS90 after discovering it was much more fun as a full-auto gun and less as an expensive peashooter I had to pay the ammo bill for. I called the FFL I did the transfer with and he said he and all the other gun sellers in the area have been visited multiple times in the last month to six weeks...

They also reminded me nicely that if I did not have an FFL I could not simply flip guns - buy a bunch and sell them for a profit - I could however sell them later when I got tired of them. This would be hard to enforce and even harded to prove - especially with today's economy...

BF

Wow... government intrusion at its finest. Make sure you ask to see a copy of the search warrant when they come to "see the receivers and PS90".

I finally got my ammo in from Cabela's. It was only 40 days past it's original delivery due date.

I got my XD-45 last fri. Here are some pics of it and my Bersa 380.

M2, what holster do you use to carry your XD? and what do you recommend to carry with? I was looking at Corbon, DPX and some others at a store here in LR. The price was the same on them all, and some were +P's. I know that the +P are a hotter load and have more energy behind them.

Congrats on the XD. I'm still experimenting with the holster. The one that comes with the gun is ok for the range, but not for everyday. I still haven't found one I like. If you're looking for CC it's tough to find one that works for the full size service XD.

I load mine up with Speer Gold Dot 200gr HP +P. The XD loves the +P loads. I'd prefer the 230gr, but Speer doesn't offer that in a +P. Honestly though, any recent offering of premium self defense ammo will work just fine. The particular flavor is just technique.

Congrats on the XD. I'm still experimenting with the holster. The one that comes with the gun is ok for the range, but not for everyday. I still haven't found one I like. If you're looking for CC it's tough to find one that works for the full size service XD.

I load mine up with Speer Gold Dot 200gr HP +P. The XD loves the +P loads. I'd prefer the 230gr, but Speer doesn't offer that in a +P. Honestly though, any recent offering of premium self defense ammo will work just fine. The particular flavor is just technique.

Aren't you worried about voiding the warranty using +P loads?

XDs are rated for +P use.

I know they can handle the load (sts). A couple months ago I was doing some research on the XD and +P loads because that was all that Cabela's had on the shelf in 45 ACP. I was thinking I ultimately didn't buy the +P because it could void the warranty... but I may be wrong. I may of not bought it due to the excessive wear it causes. I'll have to check my warranty when I get home but you may be right and I'm just confused.

When in doubt, call Springfield. Their Customer Service is possibly the best out there and they will gladly answer the most trivial of questions, like when the XDm in 45 be released. If i could find my warranty info I'd get the answer for you but all my stuff is still in boxes from moving.

Edited by Vandal

Guest MegaPieBoy

I have the same XD45 model as cragspider, and the warranty that came with my gun when I bought it didn't say anything about particular types of ammo voiding the warranty. My gun pretty much takes whatever I feed it whether its cheap Wolf or the Wal-Mart white box ammo all the way up to Hydrashoks or any other premium defense ammo. I think I had two malfunctions when I was breaking it in with the first 200 rounds, and that was it(I've got like 4000+ rounds through it).

For anyone whose interested, Lasermax makes a sweet @ss internal laser for the XD45(and alot of other popular handguns) and they give a really good military/law enforcement discount. It's definitely overpriced and unnnecessary, but I think with the military discount, NRA membership, and December holiday special I got it for like half off. :thumbsup:

Most modern handguns these days are able to handle +P ammo regularly. But also know that +P accelerates wear on a gun regardless of it being able to handle +P or not. That being said an XD, Glock, M&P, H&K, Beretta, etc. will likely not have a catastrophic failure because you used a lot of +P. There are few people who will shoot their gun to the point that it won't work anymore. A gun will outlast its owner, provided it is maintained and cared for. I recommend practicing with standard pressure mostly and practicing with your defense load occasionally to keep your skills up, but if you choose to shoot only hot loads then go for it!

Most modern handguns these days are able to handle +P ammo regularly. But also know that +P accelerates wear on a gun regardless of it being able to handle +P or not. That being said an XD, Glock, M&P, H&K, Beretta, etc. will likely not have a catastrophic failure because you used a lot of +P. There are few people who will shoot their gun to the point that it won't work anymore. A gun will outlast its owner, provided it is maintained and cared for. I recommend practicing with standard pressure mostly and practicing with your defense load occasionally to keep your skills up, but if you choose to shoot only hot loads then go for it!

No one I know working for Uncle Sugar has a big enough pay check to destroy a .45 by shooting +P ammo. Ammo is so darn expensive and +P is even worse...

BF

Im about to go out and get 2 box's of Corbon here in LR for 31 each. I know its a little pricey but its in stock and I need a few boxes. Going to take the gun out to the range for the first time to shoot a 100 rounds through it and then a few of the Corbon's to make sure that it doesn't have any issues with it. Then carry the rest. I saw that post over at xd-talk about the +P's and from what they were saying + Springfield even said that it can take it, it shouldn't be a problem. I just wouldn't go shooting a lot of them more cause of the price than putting more wear on the gun.

M2, what holster do you use to carry your XD?

I'm not M2, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I use a Don Hume Leathergoods H715 Soft Pocket IWB holster for my 4" XD9. You can conceal with a t-shirt on while wearing this holster (as long as your careful about it). And it's only $18 to boot! The only bad thing about it is that the mouth of it is not reinforced, so reholstering is not as easy. There is a model that is the exact same as the Soft Pocket except that it is made out of leather, and it fixes this problem.

For anyone whose interested, Lasermax makes a sweet @ss internal laser for the XD45(and alot of other popular handguns) and they give a really good military/law enforcement discount.

I was talking to a trusted gun store owner and when I asked about internal lasers, he said that he's heard of some problems with reliability and their ability to taken the abuse of a lot of rounds. I'd be interested to hear what you find, MegaPieBoy.

For anyone whose interested, Lasermax makes a sweet @ss internal laser for the XD45(and alot of other popular handguns) and they give a really good military/law enforcement discount. It's definitely overpriced and unnnecessary, but I think with the military discount, NRA membership, and December holiday special I got it for like half off. :thumbsup:

Y'mean this one?

As for holsters, I actually use a cheap-o Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB for daily carry, I've had it two years and it is just now starting to show any wear and tear. For external use, I have a couple of canvas holsters I use but nothing too expensive or exclusive. If I buy anything leather, it would be for one of my 1911s or the Webley. The XD is my high use/low maintenance pistol, a role for which it is perfectly designed.

Cheers! M2

I don't have an XD-45, but I also use the Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holsters when I carry either a revolver or semi-auto. Uncle Mike's Inside-the-Pant Holsters, I find they are very effective, help keep sweat away from the handgun, and inexpensive to replace (although I have yet to replace one).

I have 2 holsters for my XD45 that i use regularly. For Open Carry and out in the woods it resides in a Blackhawk SERPA. When it gets concealed I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, it was well worth the wait and money. I also have a Galco SkyOps and the orignal XD gear POS. I am of the opinion that you do get what you pay for with holsters and I have very little issue dropping good money on a quality holster. I have never been impressed with anything Uncle Mike's has made as it all seems to be very generic and inferior to a lot of what is out there.

Guest Unconfirmed Source

For my XD's I use a Fobus holster for the range and a Galco leather holster for everyday office/CCW/work.

For carry I typically use HydraShok or Hornady TAP (the black rounds)

Went to the range on Saturday. I had been looking forward to this shoot for months and mother nature gave me a downpour. Oh well, guns still shoot in the rain. Put 100+ .45 rounds downrange from my Kimber 1911 and 60+ from the Remington Rand 1911. Even the CZ 27 got into the action and put 50 downrange. A buddy of mine has a Sig P228 and he put 100+ through it. We even set up different bottles filled with colored water and had competitions etc. All and all, a great day at the range, in the rain. :M16:

Over on the rifle range a fella had a 1919 and Enfield rifle. Pretty neat to see the Enfield firing away.

Edited by Finals

Went to the range on Saturday. I had been looking forward to this shoot for months and mother nature gave me a downpour. Oh well, guns still shoot in the rain. Put 100+ .45 rounds downrange from my Kimber 1911 and 60+ from the Remington Rand 1911. Even the CZ 27 got into the action and put 50 downrange. A buddy of mine has a Sig P228 and he put 100+ through it. We even set up different bottles filled with colored water and had competitions etc. All and all, a great day at the range, in the rain. :M16:

Over on the rifle range a fella had a 1919 and Enfield rifle. Pretty neat to see the Enfield firing away.

Wait? When you say 1919, do you mean a Browning .30 MG? That would have been cool, but .30-06 is uber expensive. And .303 British for the Enfield isn't cheap either. It's great you got out to the range, and you fired a lot of .45 ACP it looks like. I'm waiting for an upper to come in for my second AR-15. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday, and I've already started acquiring parts to build the lower for my third AR. I almost bought a Noveske midlength upper today, but decided I will wait about a month until I get a little more funds.

Wait? When you say 1919, do you mean a Browning .30 MG? That would have been cool, but .30-06 is uber expensive. And .303 British for the Enfield isn't cheap either. It's great you got out to the range, and you fired a lot of .45 ACP it looks like. I'm waiting for an upper to come in for my second AR-15. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday, and I've already started acquiring parts to build the lower for my third AR. I almost bought a Noveske midlength upper today, but decided I will wait about a month until I get a little more funds.

I do indeed mean a Browning .30. While it's expensive to fire, it wasn't my money! Watching the .303 Enfield fire was also pretty neat. Obviously, the usual assortment of AR-15s were there along with a few AK-47s. All nice firearms but right now I'm just sticking with the 1911. I'll take my money and put it into training, ammunition and a club membership.

Edited by Finals