Gun Talk

VL-16

Grab it, that's the best price you are going to find on a new XD45.

There's been rumors of the XDm in .45 since the XDms first appeared. I think it may be out in the next year, but other than it being narrower at the top of the grip, and the fact that the grips are replaceable; there really isn’t that much difference from the original XD other than cosmetics. With the .40, there was a considerable increase in capacity; but I don’t think they will be able to squeeze more than a round or two if any into a XDm 45. And of course there is the additional $100 in price…

Cheers! M2

My top three are the same as your top three except that I put PMAGs first and the USGI w/Magpul follower second. Although you put both as 1. Is that a typo?

Not a typo - I think they both have their merits and really would not feel bad about using either one. Both cost about the same so that really isn't a factor. The PMAG won't flatten like an aluminum mag if you are foolish enough to drive your truck over it. The aluminum mags won't have cracking issues or be susceptible to the cold like PMAG have shown to be (although very infrequently).

PMAGs are great and the company backing them up is even better. They continually upgrade their products and if you get something that is defective they gladly swap it out with a good product. I had some early generation of PMAGs that were improperly cooled or something like that. They set up a place on their website where you could swap them out and they paid the shipping both ways. I get mine through BravoCompanyUSA for about $14.20 for the non-wondowed versions. Another great company.

BF

Not a typo - I think they both have their merits and really would not feel bad about using either one. Both cost about the same so that really isn't a factor. The PMAG won't flatten like an aluminum mag if you are foolish enough to drive your truck over it. The aluminum mags won't have cracking issues or be susceptible to the cold like PMAG have shown to be (although very infrequently).

PMAGs are great and the company backing them up is even better. They continually upgrade their products and if you get something that is defective they gladly swap it out with a good product. I had some early generation of PMAGs that were improperly cooled or something like that. They set up a place on their website where you could swap them out and they paid the shipping both ways. I get mine through BravoCompanyUSA for about $14.20 for the non-wondowed versions. Another great company.

BF

I get mine at Brownells. Once you create an account with them, they knock off a few bucks on almost all of the items they sell. A black 30 rd PMAG there is $16.45. Once you create an account, which is free, that same magazine is $12.97. Brownell's is a gunsmith's/do-it-yourself gun person's dream. They have everything from accessories, parts, magazines, etc. to gunsmith tools. I mentioned that I am going to rebuild a Colt Combat Commander. The slide assembly I already have, and I am going to get the frame from Brownells. The price is $152, but if you have an account it drops to $114. Take care.

Guest Unconfirmed Source
There's been rumors of the XDm in .45 since the XDms first appeared. I think it may be out in the next year, but other than it being narrower at the top of the grip, and the fact that the grips are replaceable; there really isn’t that much difference from the original XD other than cosmetics. With the .40, there was a considerable increase in capacity; but I don’t think they will be able to squeeze more than a round or two if any into a XDm 45. And of course there is the additional $100 in price…

Cheers! M2

Well.... Except for the match barrel, match trigger and match grade slide. But who's keeping track :thumbsup:

Grab it, that's the best price you are going to find on a new XD45.

Cheers! M2

Thanks for the advice M2 -- I bought it at Bud's a few minutes ago! Hopefully the weather will be nice when I get it so I can break it in at the range...

-9-

Well.... Except for the match barrel, match trigger and match grade slide. But who's keeping track :thumbsup:

Probably just me, but I consider all of that stuff marketing hype. For the vast majority of shooters, it won't make a difference; but they think it will because the have a "match barrel, match trigger and match grade slide." And I am not the only one who thinks this way...

One question that comes up all the time is who makes the best barrels. I have been able to test quite a few in a fixture that allows only the barrel to be tested independent of the gun. I have concluded that there really is not very much difference between a World War II GI barrel and one of today's finest match barrels. I shot 13 different barrels and fired five 10-shot groups from each at 50 yards. The ammo was Federal Gold Medal 185-grain .45 ACP, and the accuracy range was from a smallest average of 1.36 inches to a largest of 1.99 inches. There was a difference of 0.28 inch in the averages of the top nine barrels. With things that close, it's hard to crown a winner with any degree of statistical accuracy. (Source)

I shoot as well with my 1911s that have matched barrels as I do the ones without, and I am more accurate with my XD than all of them (probably due to the fact that I have a thousand or more rounds through it than any of my 1911s).

My XD is a nail driver, and as dependable as a hammer. It makes for a better handgun than anything the USAF ever issued to me!

Cheers! M2

Guest Unconfirmed Source
Probably just me, but I consider all of that stuff marketing hype. For the vast majority of shooters, it won't make a difference; but they think it will because the have a "match barrel, match trigger and match grade slide." And I am not the only one who thinks this way...

I shoot as well with my 1911s that have matched barrels as I do the ones without, and I am more accurate with my XD than all of them (probably due to the fact that I have a thousand or more rounds through it than any of my 1911s).

My XD is a nail driver, and as dependable as a hammer. It makes for a better handgun than anything the USAF ever issued to me!

Cheers! M2

Dammit once again the internet fails to impart sarcasm !!

I'm with ya on the marketing gimmic part of it, the one thing I do like better at least on my XD's vs XDm's is the triggers have a more smooth pull on the M's. If you shoot like crap to start with though a better barrel isn't gonna help you any.

My bad, maybe we need a [sarcasm] :moon: [/sarcasm] code to impart the desired effect!

And the more I grip an XDm, the more I like it. But y'all know I am a .45 Auto fan, and until Springfield produces an XDm in that caliber I will never seriously consider getting one. I just hope I find the Webley I am looking for before that happens, as contract renegotiation is going on and I am beginning to wonder if I am gonna have a job by the end of next month when this option year is over.

Then again, if I have to take a contractor position in Afghanistan, maybe that'll give me a chance to legally convert my M70AB2 to full auto! :M16:

Cheers! M2

Just heard about a manufacturer’s recall of hollow points, the news video of which can be viewed here...

Cheers! M²

I don't know which bullets I liked better. Those hollowpoints that blew out the whole back of that animated guy were impressive, but those inferno bullets that made him wail in pain are also intriguing. On an unrelated note, I picked up another S&W Model 29. This one has a 6.5in barrel to keep my M29 w/4in barrel company.

150145_large.jpg

Not a picture of mine as I am too lazy to take one right now. Maybe I'll get around to taking one after I come back from this "camping" trip that the AF is sending me to in WA :bash:

Edited by Timbonez

Guest hootie

Does anyone know if theres a second chance to become a marksman with small arms after we go on active duty? Or before that? Do they hold a class, or maybe every once in a while give people another opportunity? I qualified at field training with the m9 - but I have gotten significantly better since then and would like to get expert

Does anyone know if theres a second chance to become a marksman with small arms after we go on active duty? Or before that? Do they hold a class, or maybe every once in a while give people another opportunity? I qualified at field training with the m9 - but I have gotten significantly better since then and would like to get expert

If you're in a deploying billet you do it ever 3 years.

Yeah... makes a lot of sense. Information protection every year; but only shoot a weapon every 3.

If you're in a deploying billet you do it ever 3 years.

Yeah... makes a lot of sense. Information protection every year; but only shoot a weapon every 3.

Which is why you need to buy your own gun and shoot it more often!

Cheers! M2

OK, an opportunity arose today and I am looking for some opinions in addition to the one I already have.

I was riding back from a company meeting with a colleague and I mentioned I was looking for a small pistol for the wife. He said he had a Kel-Tec P3AT he was looking to sell. He said I could borrow it for a while to see if I wanted it, so I picked it up from him on my way home.

I have shot this pistol before, only a few rounds but I remember I wasn't initially thrilled with it; but as most of you know I am a diehard .45 fanatic so anything smaller really doesn't whet my appetite (except for my late father's pre-Python Colt .357 Magnum, which is an excellent revolver to shoot!). Yet, since I've been handling it this afternoon I am thinking it would make for a great pistol for the wife or even a BUG for myself.

MVC-014F.jpg

On one hand, I can't get over how small and mousy the thing is. I mean, it is about half the size of a M1911 (or even smaller); but on the other hand, it weighs only 11 oz empty and is only 3/4" thick and can easily be carried almost anywhere (such as in a pocket). It has no safeties but only holds 7 rounds.

The guy is only asking $215 for it, and it shows a little wear but I don't think it has more than a hundred or so rounds down it. So, if anyone has any firsthand experience with this particular gun, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers! M2

I'm not trying to call you out because I really don't know, but is that legal? To let a friend borrow a weapon? And do you need an FFL or have an FFL holder transfer a weapon if you want to sell one of your firearms?

Uhhhh, no. What is this...Russia??????????? Hell I just found out you could ship a gun fedex with ZERO hassle and I mean zero. Other than having to tell them it was a gun. Throw it in the box (STS) and away it goes.

M2 I see your logic serious canidate for BUG. But just looking at it makes me think of wanting to holdup a liqour store. Puts some Duct tape on that grip (or some rubberbands) and you'll be ready to go!

Speaking of which I just sent my new XDM out the door today and it should come back looking like this (minus the stainless slide)...

XDMxgrip1.jpg

Competition season is about to open and I wanted a new blaster. Speaking of which with arrendondo basepads in the XDM you get 23+1 9mm and 19+1 .40.

It's finally warming up here so the range is gonna be hot this weekend.

Cooter

Edited by Cooter

$499 is good... I paid $569 for my 4". You may want to handle the 5" (sts) before buying as it may be a bit nose heavy. Haven't heard about the XDm in 45, but springfield website is touting the new XDm 9mm as a 19+1 capacity.

I've got the 5" XD (although in 9) and I love it. Definately feels a little nose heavy at first; but I've also never shot a gun before that I've shot so well from the very first round fired. I won't beat the dead horse on XD quality, its clearly there; but the 5" is good for HD, competition, or just shooting well at the range.

Obviously it is not suited for carrying; and it will make any smaller one feel a little awkard if you're shooting multiple weapons.

Hope that helps... And yes; thats a great price IMO

Uhhhh, no. What is this...Russia??????????? Hell I just found out you could ship a gun fedex with ZERO hassle and I mean zero. Other than having to tell them it was a gun. Throw it in the box (STS) and away it goes.

Like I said, I didn't know and was just curious. I appreciate the response though.

OK, an opportunity arose today and I am looking for some opinions in addition to the one I already have.

I was riding back from a company meeting with a colleague and I mentioned I was looking for a small pistol for the wife. He said he had a he was looking to sell. He said I could borrow it for a while to see if I wanted it, so I picked it up from him on my way home.

I have shot this pistol before, only a few rounds but I remember I wasn't initially thrilled with it; but as most of you know I am a diehard .45 fanatic so anything smaller really doesn't whet my appetite (except for my late father's pre-Python Colt .357 Magnum, which is an excellent revolver to shoot!). Yet, since I've been handling it this afternoon I am thinking it would make for a great pistol for the wife or even a BUG for myself.

On one hand, I can't get over how small and mousy the thing is. I mean, it is about half the size of a M1911 (or even smaller); but on the other hand, it weighs only 11 oz empty and is only 3/4" thick and can easily be carried almost anywhere (such as in a pocket). It has no safeties but only holds 7 rounds.

The guy is only asking $215 for it, and it shows a little wear but I don't think it has more than a hundred or so rounds down it. So, if anyone has any firsthand experience with this particular gun, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers! M2

People love the Keltec. In my opinion, they're not fun to shoot and if you let the Mrs. shoot it, she's probably not going to like it. She'll probably like the gun to look at and hold, but a few down range...I would let her throw 25 rounds thru (if you can find .380 ammo) it before I'd buy it for her. I bought the Bersa 380 CC. Small enough to carry, fun to shoot. It isn't a pocket gun like the Keltec, but it works for me.

Side note- I think you'd find Pythons are a great Colt to shoot. They're smooth and the look damn cool. I also know where you can get a good deal on one.

Edited by slacker

Yeah, I've found mag extenders on eBay for about ten bucks; that'll be a necessary addition if I buy it. I am leaning towards doing so as I think it is a good BUG/throw-away gun, something I don't mean leaving in the car when I got places I can't carry.

Now, tell me about that great deal on a Python! I love the .357 Magnum I have, but as it is a "family heirloom," I keep it displayed more than taking it to the range.

Cheers! M2

Guest Chairborne Ranger

M2,

I've been carrying a P3AT as a pocket gun for a couple of years now and the concealability/small frame is great. Even better than a couple small J frame revolvers. To shoot, it's, ehh, uncomfortable, at best. Definitely a very close range weapon with a relatively horrendous DAO trigger pull but "better than nothing". I'm not too impressed with the manufacturing though. Mine has a couple of heavy wear spots on the internal slide rails where a pretty substantial amount of material has been shaven away over time (not your regular wear type).

The weapon has no slide lock but mine tends to lock back on a full magazine. Once you give it a little nudge, it then performs fine 90% of the time. Every once in a while however, it will lock back after firing the first round. It only does this after the first round (when the mag spring is exerting the most force) and it's once again quickly fixed with a nudge to the rear of the slide but not exactly what I'd consider 100% bet-your-life-on reliable.

I still carry it as a pocket gun when my Walther is not an option/impractical but should probably find something better.

YMMV. Lots of forums talk about this little guy and people either love it or hate it.

Guest zookrider
Chairborne

Thanks for the input, I was wondering if one of these--Magazine Finger Grip Extension for the Kel-Tec P3AT--would help with the grip...

046c_1.JPG

Cheers! M2

My P3AT doesn't work all that well. I carry it when I run or otherwise can't conceal a real gun...but I only trust the thing about 75%. I've had consistent problems with light primer strikes and failures to feed. That's with ideal ammos- powerballs, FMJ, etc. With golden sabers or hydra shocks, nope. Its accuracy is decent. Just need to make it run.