Military in Uniform at Airport

M2

Guest Lockjaw25

True Story

This Morning - 6:00am - Dayton airport TSA line.

3 officers in ABUs, with reflective belts on. Belts were on during the flight, and were last seen still on in the cab line at DCA.

blurb_facepalm2_20090622.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I flew American from DFW to MCI last Sunday. As I passed by the cockpit, I asked "Is Tim up there?". I heard a resounding "NO".

It was not an American Eagle flight but I knew the pilots would know who I was referring too.

I am very happy to say that I was moved to 1st class for the flight, I was in uniform (US Army). American Airlines does this quite often and I really appreciate it. Most other airlines do not.

I seem to always end up in a middle seat at the back of the aircraft when flying Southwest Airlines in uniform. I request any airline except Southwest Airlines when flying on TDY orders.

What is it with you Army guys all traveling in uniform? Force protection anyone? Hell I was at the airport in Bahrain trying to catch a flight out of there and saw two Army E-x's in BDU's. I was going to order them to go change, but couldn't catch up with them in time. Wearing an American military uniform in full view of the public in the middle east? Also saw an Army Major wearing his at the air port in Thailand catching a flight to Japan. WTF guys?

Edited by BolterKing

Guest Tex_Hill

I don't know if regulations have changed, but back in the '90s Army regs stated that you wear your uniform when traveling under orders

Guest whatever

What is it with you Army guys all traveling in uniform? Force protection anyone? Hell I was at the airport in Bahrain trying to catch a flight out of there and saw two Army E-x's in BDU's. I was going to order them to go change, but couldn't catch up with them in time. Wearing an American military uniform in full view of the public in the middle east? Also saw an Army Major wearing his at the air port in Thailand catching a flight to Japan. WTF guys?

I think lots of people wear their uniforms to get the upgrades. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Wearing an American military uniform in full view of the public in the middle east?

I know what you mean. The last time I was in the Middle East, there was a whole shit load of folks in uniform...seemed like everyone was, Army, AF...even foreign services. Walking right down the street, driving vehicles, flying planes, all in full view of the public! I was going to order all of them to change, but some of them out ranked me…

I think lots of people wear their uniforms to get the upgrades. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Just you stating that is ridiculous....are you serious..........really?

Army policy for uniform wear has changed a lot since 2001. It used to be that BDUs (now ACUs) were only allowed for wear too and from work and for a fuel stop on the way if needed. Now we are encourage to wear the duty uniform in public. Realizing that soldiers should conduct themselves honorably and drinking in uniform while in public is not allowed. This includes airports, malls, Wal Mart…ect.

The Army wants us to interface with the public. We are even encouraged to social network on forums like this.

I travel at least twice a month on TDY orders. I am on the Army's dime, doing Army business so I wear my duty uniform. I cannot tell you how many people have approached me in airports wanting to shake my hand and thank me for my service. I thank them in return and usually have a brief conversation about what I do in the Army. It is great PR for the Army and I am proud to educate the American public on current non classified operations in the Army.

As far as upgrades, I will take one if there are open seats and any Military personnel of a rank below me have already been seated there. I have had offers to trade seats with 1st class passengers, I will not do that either.

Now I do not agree with being in uniform while overseas, I would not do it do that due to the threat.

If you really are thinking that soldiers in uniform are trying to “get over”, you should take a look at yourself as to why you feel that way.

[/thread hijack]

Edited by Duke

I know what you mean. The last time I was in the Middle East, there was a whole shit load of folks in uniform...seemed like everyone was, Army, AF...even foreign services. Walking right down the street, driving vehicles, flying planes, all in full view of the public! I was going to order all of them to change, but some of them out ranked me…

Bahrain International Airport is not the right place for a pair of Army E-4's to be in their BDU's.

I travel about every two weeks TDY for my job on commercial airlines. I'm not always in uniform but a lot of times I am because I'm either coming directly from a meeting to the airport or heading to a meeting from the airport. In all the flights I've been on I was only upgraded once because I was in uniform and it was the 20 minutes flight from C. Springs to Denver. Personally I'd rather be more comfortable in civilian clothes than get a 1/10000 chance of being upgraded for free.

I am a pilot based at IAD (Washington-Dulles) and operate in the "A" terminal for those familar with IAD. In the past 2 years I have seen every paygrade from E-1 thru O-7 in their BDUs or ACU's (whatever they call them nowadays). I was Navy, and when I travelled on government orders we were frequently, if not exclusively authorized civilian attire on our TAD orders. I was always told that this was for "force protection" issues, and in one command we were issued official passports. Anyway, I have been retired for almost 10 years and I am sure the rules have changed on wearing uniforms off-base. As for the whole flight-suit envy thing...Some things just never will change.

I flew home recently for the weekend and there was a Army E-1 fresh out of boot on my flight, at the gate they called him to the counter and gave him a first class ticket. The look on this young kids face was priceless. He was caught way off guard, and didn't quite know what to do. I thought it was pretty cool of the airline folks to do that.

Then on the first part of my return trip from my TDY I had an AF O-6 in ABUs trying to pull the upgrade thing both at the counter and then again at the gate. He was a space guy 'going back home' from ABQ - LAX. I just sat there in line a few people back and listening to this Col. schmooze some line on the airline folks about his service and how he's never been in first class. It just disgusted me.

Flight was full, no first class open! lol

I flew home recently for the weekend and there was a Army E-1 fresh out of boot on my flight, at the gate they called him to the counter and gave him a first class ticket. The look on this young kids face was priceless. He was caught way off guard, and didn't quite know what to do. I thought it was pretty cool of the airline folks to do that.

Very cool.

Then on the first part of my return trip from my TDY I had an AF O-6 in ABUs trying to pull the upgrade thing both at the counter and then again at the gate. He was a space guy 'going back home' from ABQ - LAX. I just sat there in line a few people back and listening to this Col. schmooze some line on the airline folks about his service and how he's never been in first class. It just disgusted me.

Wouldn't asking for an upgrade be in violation of the regs wrt accepting gifts? He was asking for the airline to give him something of significant value. I'm only thinking this because I fly first/business class frequently and I know how expensive those tickets are. Sometimes I get upgraded but only if it happens automatically (the airline does it), I never ask. Most times I pay (actually, my company pays) for the ticket. I only buy business class for overseas travel and those tickets are typically 6-9 times more expensive than coach/economy class. The last two intnl tickets I bought were $6k and $9k the coach tickets for the same flights were $1k and $1.5k.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

Very cool.

Wouldn't asking for an upgrade be in violation of the regs wrt accepting gifts? He was asking for the airline to give him something of significant value. I'm only thinking this because I fly first/business class frequently and I know how expensive those tickets are. Sometimes I get upgraded but only if it happens automatically (the airline does it), I never ask. Most times I pay (actually, my company pays) for the ticket. I only buy business class for overseas travel and those tickets are typically 6-9 times more expensive than coach/economy class. The last two intnl tickets I bought were $6k and $9k the coach tickets for the same flights were $1k and $1.5k.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

I've heard it before, but I have no idea if there is some reg/rule on this.

The guy was doing everything but actually saying "give me an upgrade because I'm in the military".

By the reg your are not only not allowed to ask for an upgrade based on being military, but you are also not allowed to accept an upgrade if being military is the only reason. The only upgrade you are legal to accept is if you are randomly upgraded by the airline.

Now, I doubt that many of us would turn down a free upgrade, but I also hope that the majority of us are not trying to do what that Col did. If the person at the gate guesses I'm military, or I'm on orders and check three bags and have to show them my orders and they use that information to upgrade me; awesome. But I sure as hell am not showing up to the counter in my uniform asking for an upgrade. Anyone who does is a douche.

I thought that if you were in uniform you couldn't sit in first class under any circumstances.

Not 100% sure but I don't think there is anything that says you can't. The only rule I recall is that you can't buy a FC ticket if there is availability in steerage.

It is good technique, however, to take your original seat and have them page you for the seat change. That way everyone sees that you were originally in coach so they don't get the impression that the military is paying for the FC seat.

The only rule I recall is that you can't buy a FC ticket if there is availability in steerage.

Not true. It is, however, an incredibly complicated process to be authorized a business or first class ticket. Rules for such instances are found on the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Poor form by Col Douchebag.

Ethically speaking, he is skating on very thin ice.

I've been upgraded once, but I wasn't in the military at the time. FC is nice....

Going across the pond, Lufthansa coach is pretty legit. I can only imagine how much better BC or FC is. I have yet to travel in uniform though.

I was flying home from San Antonio one day and they made an announcement at the gate: "I need 6 military personnel to come to the counter." Six people (including me) went up there (all not in uniform), and they swapped out our coach tickets for FC (I was the only one on orders). Maybe it's just because San Antonio is a big military town but that's the only time I've seen that happen. Pretty cool though.

Once on a DAL flight (not in uniform, not on orders), I went to pay for a drink with my USAA credit card. The flight attendant asked if I was military, to which I responded yes. She gave me the drink for no charge. That's some pretty good SA on her part for knowing the (potential) implications of being a USAA member. It was a small thing, but still cool none the less.

• 1 year later...

I'm sure that most may know this but for those who don't.....Most, if not all, TSA checkpoints will let military go through the employee's line (whether in uniform or not). If they don't have a special line labeled for "military/employees" go through the First Class line. I travel through SLC quite often and they recently put up a sign in their "employees" line that says something to the effect "ONLY uniformed crews and airport employees". I asked the TSA ID checker girl and she scoffed. She said something to the effect..."F that sign. If you are in the military and I am working the only thing I am going to say is 'thank you for serving our country'" She went on to say that if the regular line is long for me to just go through the first class line. :salut:

On one of my military travels (in civies), my itinerary started at LIT and ended at Guam with 2 stops in Houston and Hawaii. An ice storm delayed me from LIT which screwed my whole itinerary. After leaving Houston, I would go direct to Tokyo then Guam instead. When I got on the Tokyo flight, the attendants directed me to business first class. Apparently the rep back at LIT had hooked me up while changing my tickets. Very cool of her. My own reclining seat, 10 course meal, and unlimited booze for 15 hours.

Military in uniform don't have to remove boots at TSA checkpoints either.

At least as of '09, that was true... unless you had steel toe boots, in which case you still have to remove them.

Edit: Suppose pilots don't care about that since they don't wear steel, but FYI for anyone else.

Edited by Port Dog