SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

• 2 weeks later...

When its time to input 3849s (generally April timeframe) a message will go out and you'll be opted to complete same in AFPC Secure. Your Wing will probably have its own timelines for completion as well so pay attention. Along with the message indicating the 3849 process is open will be a CONOPS with school descriptions and requirements (will include both IDE and SDE info). The message has much of the same dope and explains the process along with numbers for each school. You'll probably only have a couple weeks to shift thru the info and electronically input your 3849. The schools, numbers, requirements, etc change year to year but if you do find last years copy it will be pretty similar to give you a vector. I also seem to remember an AFPC powerpoint explaining how to fill out the 3849 and the timeline of DT and School Boards.

Your Wing CC has three groups to rank you in - selects (from your promotion board), candidates (non-school selects), and eligibles (selects + candidates). He doesn't necessarily have to recommend you for school to AFPC - ie your 3849 may or may not leave base and they may even tell you don't bother to fill one out. If you are a select and he doesn't recommend you for school by your third look he has to answer to AFPC as to why. Once all 3849s are at AFPC sometime over the summer DTs meet and rack and stack their dudes (CAF, MAF, SOF, etc) with their recommendations for specific schools. After that all the DT lists are put together to form one complete rack and stack - I have no idea how they kluge the separate DT stacks but they do. The Small Schools Board and Academy AOC gets to cherry pick their guys first and then a cut line is made based upon numbers of available school slots. The School Board then tries to mach your desires with your DT school vector starting at the top of the combined rack and stack.

If dudes get out, ops defer, decline school, etc after results are out they go to the alternate list. For small schools they make their own alternate list (I think). For everything else the alternate list is based upon your DT. So is a CAF dude drops out a CAF dude fills the slot (sts) from the CAF alternate list. I've seem a number of dudes get picked up on the alternate lists. You will know if you are an alternate but not where you sit on the list unless your CC is a good dude and finds out for you from AFPC.

If you are applying for in-residence credit based upon whatever program you have done (TPS, RAS training, Fletcher Scholarship, under-water basket weaving, etc) and were above the cut line for getting a school slot - congrats - you get in-residence credit and your record will indicate same once correspondence PME is complete. For every one dude getting in-residence credit the cut line is adjusted by one dude.

I think that about covers the 3849 process. The above if off the top of my nugget and I haven't payed attention for a couple years so things may have changed but I'd give it a +69% CEP. I will drink heavily for being able to explain the above. But - the more you know the better prepared you can be to make decisions. Back to my Pils!

e

Lots to read there... so at what time does that first look come down, and how much time on station would someone need to have at that point to be eligible for that selection? My present understanding is that once you pin on major, it's off to the races, and to PCS just prior to that point might prevent that first or even second shot at school in residence - is that right?

Lots to read there... so at what time does that first look come down, and how much time on station would someone need to have at that point to be eligible for that selection? My present understanding is that once you pin on major, it's off to the races, and to PCS just prior to that point might prevent that first or even second shot at school in residence - is that right?

First look is the year after your O-4 board results, regardless of whether you have pinned on yet or not.

You need two years TOS at the time school starts to be eligible without a waiver. So, a PCS may or may not cause problems.

Last year, I think only 10% of the eligibles picked up for school were candidates. The rest were selects.

What is the Small Schools Board and which schools do they fill? Everything but the service schools?

Small Schools Brd is the selection board for schools that don't have a significant number available 'slots'. I don't know at what number they make that cut... a couple maybe...

e

First look is the year after your O-4 board results, regardless of whether you have pinned on yet or not.

You need two years TOS at the time school starts to be eligible without a waiver. So, a PCS may or may not cause problems.

Last year, I think only 10% of the eligibles picked up for school were candidates. The rest were selects.

Concur on the above - and will add TOS waivers for attending school probably have a high approval rate.

To make things worse they're beta testing some B.S. that the in-residence course will actually have the first 3 weeks as distance learning through the software Blackboard from your home station. The first class of beta-testors will actually be TDY to Montgomery for those first three weeks "interacting" from their lodging.

...yay!

I've been selected for this goat ######... YAYnot

Edited by Inthebuff

I've been selected for this goat ######... YAYnot

It means instead of working 5-6 hours a day like the dweebs in-res, you'll be working 30-45 minutes a day, at a time of your choosing, for the first three weeks.

Pretty sure they mentioned a standard login time for the e-SOS and still reading all of the assigned readings....

I didn't read any assigned readings, and I was in class. I think you'll do fine with CTRL+F

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this 3 week online Beta program? Sucks more/less, any word on making it official, etc? My number is soon going to be up for SOS and I'm curious which program I'll ultimately have to suffer through.

I'm at shoe flag right now, and it was mentioned by the General on Friday (with the beta group in the crowd). According to him it's still in the test phases, but he would like to see it rolled out wide spread soon. Had a few other "great" ideas, and I'm surprised the briefing didn't end with a rain of tomatoes flying toward the stage.

I'm at shoe flag right now, and it was mentioned by the General on Friday (with the beta group in the crowd). According to him it's still in the test phases, but he would like to see it rolled out wide spread soon. Had a few other "great" ideas, and I'm surprised the briefing didn't end with a rain of tomatoes flying toward the stage.

Wanted to reduce the 8 week course down to something smaller. It would involve a distance learning aspect but didn't feel comfortable doing it without having a mandated amount of time set aside for members to complete their DL at home station. Also wanted to eliminate the practice bleeding going on by having to do correspondence to go in res.

Also want to increase the opportunities to get PHDs...we'll see where that one goes.

Also somehow it still isn't getting through to people but you do have to show up here with a current Physical Fitness test through the end of the course. If you don't you will get kicked out.

So far the experience hasn't been all that bad, I am sober on a Monday which does leave a little to wonder about but then again with it being 8 weeks you have to pace yourself. I have a pretty solid flight with a decent mix of aircrew and other career fields and Air Force wide the consensus is just about the same among all of us... those of us with families miss them but we are pretty excited about not having to be dealing with the day to day kick in the junk that are jobs are becoming more and more of with plenty of time to PT in the base gym without being forced to wear the AFPTU. I'm sure this feeling will wear off in time

"In place" TDYs from home station (implying you wouldn't be tasked with anything else while home) as well as "one week per year" PME. Both ideas got a lot of murmurs in the crowd.

IN place TDY will never happen. You'll just get the old guys saying "I didn't get extra time to do it in correspondence, you aren't getting extra time either".

IN place TDY will never happen. You'll just get the old guys saying "I didn't get extra time to do it in correspondence, you aren't getting extra time either".

He seemed aware of that concern and said something like that wouldn't go live without some "Thou shalt not" type language from HQAF leadership, but even with that I'm not optimistic. I'm pretty sure there will always be pressure from home station leadership for guys to "voluntarily" do home station work. One good thing is you might be able to avoid going non-current while doing PME.

Also somehow it still isn't getting through to people but you do have to show up here with a current Physical Fitness test through the end of the course. If you don't you will get kicked out.

RUMINT said there were 15+ failures of the PFT when class started (even without a tape)...true?

He seemed aware of that concern and said something like that wouldn't go live without some "Thou shalt not" type language from HQAF leadership, but even with that I'm not optimistic. I'm pretty sure there will always be pressure from home station leadership for guys to "voluntarily" do home station work. One good thing is you might be able to avoid going non-current while doing PME.

We had guys getting tasked by home station while TDY to SOS...I can't imagine it will be any better when their leadership can actually harass them in person.

I'm tired of the dumb copies of the Dear Boss Letter. The original was a masterpiece. Like the movies, all the sequels have been successively worse. The dude's complaints are legit..I'm just instantly turned off now when I see the Dear Boss format. If I feel that way... how those older, more wise, or

better looking feel?

Edited by Dupe