Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

I've always used State Farm for my sportbike (ZX-14) because they don't care about type of bike, just the cc's. I had full coverage for 35-40/month. However I now have a Yamaha Raider 1900 and it was expensive thru them due to the engine size so I now use Geico which was cheaper than Progressive.

lucky I guess. I changed bikes and they farmed me to progressive years ago. The initial rates progressive was quoting were actually really good compared to what they quoted if you didn't get referred by USAA, but within a couple years they were quoting me ridiculous prices.

Looks like they now have a deal again through Progressive, tried to do a quick quote on the Duc, but already have a policy with Progressive. I've only had car experience with them and they took care of me, rental for almost a month, no questions asked.

Whatever you do, wear your GEAR, just lost a soldier here in central TX for not wearing a helmet, buddy in my unit was on scene 30 seconds after it happened, I couldn't finish my lunch after his story.

Just lost a rider here in Kansas, too. Part of a group ride--two are in the hospital and one was killed. Sad. I'm currently updating our squadron roster of riders and double checking paperwork. No sense in giving Uncle Sam any reason to keep your SGLI. Ride safe, fellas.

No sense in giving Uncle Sam any reason to keep your SGLI. Ride safe, fellas.

Not going to happen, I've seen a fair share of LOD determinations for fatal accidents and not once have I seen a single instance where the benefits were not paid out to the survivors. The potential is there, but I can't recall it ever being done.

Riding is a dangerous activity, and an ORM must be constantly applied. Be smart, be safe! :salut:

Not going to happen, I've seen a fair share of LOD determinations for fatal accidents and not once...

Never say never! In these days of governmental want and woe, and "accountability/responsibility" I wouldn't put it past any penny wise/pound foolish SNAP/shoe whack-job commander. Especially when alcohol is involved and the rider isn't following big blue's rider rules like not wearing PPE...

In the immortal words of Sgt Esterhaus: "Let's be careful out there!"

Wondering if I should sell the bike (not even registered yet) and pick up skydiving. Sounds just as thrilling with a lot less to worry about externally.

Skydiving is also a good community too. It's very portable, I take my rig with me anytime I'm traveling. Not the cheapest sport to get into and sometimes not really accessible everywhere. (might have to drive an hour or two to a dropzone - or there may be one in your backyard).

I recommend skydiving, it's very relaxing for me. But it doesn't take the place of riding (or flying), it just adds something to it. Lots of skydivers ride as well. I guess we really are junkies...

Most commanders just say "be careful" if you are going to ride a motorcycle but when you tell them you skydive they look at you like you are crazy. Even though skydiving is way safer than driving a car - much less a motorcycle.

Guest AFsock

All the jumpers I know have literally seen dudes hit the ground or had malfunctions of their own. It has its own risks.

Me I'm just plain to chickensh*t to jump out of a good aircraft. Probably because I saw a guy with no chute at the Perris, Ca dropzone or watched my teacher make a jump into a racetrack, take a wind gust and break his neck on the retaining wall. But my wife has gone out and done it multiple times without a second though.

I think when folks talk about motorcycles, you get a lot of the bad. Maybe it's a result of the questions we get asked, or just a culture thing. But just like jumping, the important number should be on the 99% of rides or jumps that go just as planned.

Either way, do what you want to do and have fun with it.

-Edit: Not to go too far OT but I did watch some positive jump stuff to - Jay Stokes breaks the record for most jumps in a day. (That was pretty sweet) - http://zingstrom.wordpress.com/photos-storiescritters-and-stuff/

Edited by AFsock

All the jumpers I know have literally seen dudes hit the ground or had malfunctions of their own. It has its own risks.

I don't know anyone who has hit the ground, but a malfunction can be anything from a very minor/barely noticable thing to something serious. We wear two parachutes for a reason. It has risks yes, but it's safer than motorcycles. On the other hand, I've been an active rider for over 20 years and I've seen LOTS of people get killed - almost died twice myself. Skydiving is just not as mainstream as bikes - but it is safer.

I don't know anyone who has hit the ground, but a malfunction can be anything from a very minor/barely noticable thing to something serious. We wear two parachutes for a reason. It has risks yes, but it's safer than motorcycles. On the other hand, I've been an active rider for over 20 years and I've seen LOTS of people get killed - almost died twice myself. Skydiving is just not as mainstream as bikes - but it is safer.

Any single contributing factors?

I've been an active rider for over 20 years and I've seen LOTS of people get killed - almost died twice myself.

Any hyperbole here or have you actually seen LOTS of people get killed on a bike?

How did you end up hospitalized twice and still keep your flying status intact?

Having ridden motorcycles for over 30 years, I have known a few people killed on them and read about a lot more. It's definitely a risky pastime, but then again so is life.

I've also jumped out of "perfectly good airplanes" with the belief that is always a good skill to have!

It's all a matter of how you want to live your life!

Cheers! M²

Any single contributing factors?

No, sometimes things just break. I had a malfunction because my BOC material was old and got just weak enough to bounce my pilot chute out when I hit a burble. I chopped my main and rode my reserve in, no injuries, no big deal. This is the common result of a "malfunction". You have to do an emergency training session with an instructor annually - sort of an IEPE.

Any hyperbole here or have you actually seen LOTS of people get killed on a bike?

How did you end up hospitalized twice and still keep your flying status intact?

I went to college at ERAU, saw 5 bike weeks. Every year I rode by at least one body bag on the side of the road. I've actually seen 3 people in accidents they died from - only really knew one of them but that was one more than I wanted. I guess "LOTS" is realitve and it was a bit of a typo - originally typed 'LOTS of people hurt or killed' which would be accurate regardless of your definition of lots.

The first hospitilization was in college right after I got my pilot slot. I was lucky that I only spent the night that time and ended up with only whiplash, a few broken bones and some scrapes. I bounced down the interstate that night - lucky noone was coming after the accident or I would have had much worse injuries.

The second one was right after the b-course. I ended up in the hospital for about 12 days, ermergency medical leave for 30 days after that. They told me I might never fly again. Thankfully the only lasting injury is that my left humorous mended with a 33 degree bend in the bone. Once that was healed up and the orthapedic guy said I was gtg, I finished my rehab and started flying again.

For all you Moto GP fans out there, Austin Texas just landed a 10 year deal to host a third round of the championship beginning in 2013! :rock:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/Texas+GP+announced+for+2013

Shit-fucking-hot! Finally, no more trying to get to Laguna Seca or Indianapolis to see MotoGP races! This is outstanding news, I'm sure gonna try and get to the first one...

Cheers! M2

In celebration I took the Repsol to work this morning. It's been a long while since I did that, traffic's too damn dangerous here but I just had to "show the colors" after this announcement...

2005_0827CBR0008_edited.jpg

That's an old pic (when I picked the bike up in August 2005), but other than a fender eliminator, installing flush signals up front and micros in the back, adding a tinted double bubble shield, putting the rest of the team decals along the bottom of the fairing and a few pieces of carbon fiber bits here and there; the bike's basically the same now!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

In celebration I took the Repsol to work this morning. It's been a long while since I did that, traffic's too damn dangerous here

Yeah, no shit, I came the closest I've ever gotten to getting schwacked driving my bike on 410 in San Antonio.

Yeah, no shit, I came the closest I've ever gotten to getting schwacked driving my bike on 410 in San Antonio.

On my way home some fuckstick in a huge pick-up on Old Pearsall decided he wanted to be in my lane while I was still in it! :flipoff:

Luckily, that bike has great torque, and all I had to do is roll on the throttle to get past the "threat." :rock:

Funny thing is, I took that route because typically it is the "safer" way home! :bash:

I won't incriminate myself by saying how fast I was traveling on 151 this morning to keep away from the zombie commuter wolfpacks, but it wouldn't have been a pretty sight had SAPD been around! :airforce:

Cheers! M2

What do you guys think about a Hyosung GT250r? I know it has a small engine, but it would be a starter bike. I can get it for a little less than $1500. Good deal?

Any motorcycle that runs well and is in decent shape is a good deal for less than $1500 but a Hyosung GT250r are pretty small bikes. So, in my opinion, if you are any bigger than about 6'0'' and 200 lbs, you are almost too big for that bike.

I'm 5'7" and 150, so I don't think that will be an issue. You have a good point since I'm thinking if I get it, I might get the rear seat insert, but it might not be big enough for two people...

I'm 5'7" and 150, so I don't think that will be an issue. You have a good point since I'm thinking if I get it, I might get the rear seat insert, but it might not be big enough for two people...

I haven't tried to ride 2up, but I have some time on the Ninja 250. IMHO, riding 2up on either of these 250's will be limited to a parking lot. MCN did a comparo of the 250R vs GT250R,

CN's

-Ninja tires are shit

-Hyosung build quality is even more shit

-Their rec: get the Ninja

First bike was the 250 Ninja back when I was that size at 16, good bike at the time and fit my teenage budget. Good deal on the Hyo, so get it, besides you are probably going to drop it anyway. The bike is going to hate you riding 2-up, but should be fine on the open road.