Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

If you're buying a sportbike, remember that the only real difference (other than weight and INSURANCE COSTS) between a 600CC and a 1000CC usually turns out to be top end speed. And if that's your deciding factor, you're going way too damn fast! Most street bikes are even keel nowadays. That being said, I'm on my second Ninja ZX6-R. Best way to tell what you like is to trade keys around with guys in the squadron. Spent a whole afternoon with guys talking shit about how badass their bikes were and we finally threw our keys at each other. Good experience overall if you trust your buddies and it lets you do something most dealers won't.

Guest IncompletePete

I'd really advise against getting a sports bike for your first bike, a bike with a fairing is just a horrifically bad idea as you will f*ck up at some point and drop the bike which will be expensive to repair.

Get a cheap and cheerful 'naked' bike like the Suzuki Bandit or Ducati Monster and you'll be set.

@war007afa: I disagree - my riding style suits 1000cc sports bikes way more than a 600cc, I find myself revving the nuts of a 600 and working pretty hard to maintain my pace, whilst on a litre bike I'm smoother and generally quicker. The only downside is that whilst I get a lot out of a litre bike I find my overall pace is monumentally quick without really realising and I run the risk of imprisonment if caught....

I agree with IP on litre-classs versus 600cc sportbikes, inasmuch as the smaller bikes are fun as they really require a lot of effort to ride fast, whereas my CBR1000RR is a lot more effortless. But as IP said, the potential to get yourself up to speeds that warrant a possible stay in jail if you get caught is the greatest concern. I can get my CBR up to over 160 MPH in a matter of 15 seconds or so...

Cheers! M2

I-Pete

I've seen 'Roo leathers before, I believe they are also tougher as well; but the price tag has kept me wearing cow. My Alpinestars are pretty comfortable in most conditions, and during the height of the summer I wear a Camelbak to ensure I don't dehydrate. But no matter how high the temps get, I am not going to risk my hide dragging across the pavement...

Cheers! M2

you can always look into "MotoGP" brand 'roo leathers. They're made by Madif industries, I've raced for 2 years in a set, crashed 4-5 times and only had to repair them once. I paid $650 for em

you can always look into "MotoGP" brand 'roo leathers. They're made by Madif industries, I've raced for 2 years in a set, crashed 4-5 times and only had to repair them once. I paid $650 for em

Wow, I looked at a set of MotoGP 'Roo leathers at a local Honda dealership a few years ago, and they were a heckuva lot more expensive than that! I don't need leathers at the moment (the Alpinestars are holding up fine), but if and when I do, I will look into them, thanks!

Cheers! M2

Wow, I looked at a set of MotoGP 'Roo leathers at a local Honda dealership a few years ago, and they were a heckuva lot more expensive than that! I don't need leathers at the moment (the Alpinestars are holding up fine), but if and when I do, I will look into them, thanks!

Cheers! M2

yeah, I think prices went up to around $800, but call around, sportbiketrackgear.com is a good place and many trackday orgs like NESBA have in-house vendors that have regular sales! Certainly can't go wrong with Astars in the meantime :thumbsup:

Guest IncompletePete

Wow - they seem incredibly cheap! I had to fork out $1000 for my 2 piece roo suit and that was a pretty good deal!

Oh and by the way, don't buy a Ducati their reliability stereotype is well founded. I just took this bike out for a test ride and the clutch broke! I *may* still pick it up when the clutch is fixed though...:D

http://www.lindmotorrad.co.uk/BMW-used-m.....p;SP_ID=1772308

Oh and by the way, don't buy a Ducati their reliability stereotype is well founded. I just took this bike out for a test ride and the clutch broke! I *may* still pick it up when the clutch is fixed though...:D

I had my Ducati for 5 years... didn't have one single problem with it that whole time.

Seems a lot of other Ducati owners agree with me that Ducati's reliability is fantastic.

The current Testaretta engines are basically as bulletproof as their Japanese equivalent, albeit with higher given maintenance costs.

The air-cooled 2V motors have always been stone-solid. Basically like the Honda XR version of a streetbike engine.

As far as the bad blood goes, IMO, 75% of the people who like to bag on Duc reliability have never even owned one and are forming their opinions based on hearsay from others who have never actually owned one either. Another 20% are previous owners who are just pissed that during 20K miles of use they actually had to spend some bucks on maintenance costs outside of the oil and filter/rubber changes they got used to while owning other "use-and-throw-away" type bikes. The other 5% are the actual guys who got bit by the unreliable '90's SBK during ownership, and have a legitimate beef.

Here an interesting article I ran across on the Ducati's reliability. I think this speaks volumes:

Cupertino, CA (April 21, 2007) - Ducati North America announces today

the official donation to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum of the

“Iron Butt” ST4, ridden by Gary Eagan from 2000-2002 to several

endurance records.

The ST4 was originally delivered to Gary Eagan by Ducati North America

in 2000 as a brand new motorcycle with zero miles. It was viewed as an

ideal platform for Gary to use for his record setting long distance

endurance rides.

The most prestigious record Gary set on this motorcycle was a ride from

San Francisco to New York City, which he did in an astonishing 36 hours

and 57 minutes. After accomplishing that monumental task, Gary used the

ST4 to compete in approximately 10 endurance competitions of 24 hours or

longer, winning nine of them.

When asked about the durability of his Ducati, Gary stated, “The bike

had one mechanical problem, a broken engine bolt when 92,000 miles

rolled around. It was ridden hard and performed far better than one

might imagine, considering the abuse I gave it. I also rode the bike

throughout Alaska, parts of the Haul Road and Top of the World Highway

(all dirt), down through Chicken and on to Tok. That is the machine that

really popped my eyeballs out of my skull when it came to enjoying long

distance riding.”

Edited by Vertigo

I just wanted to brag and say that I'm out here tearing up the dragon for a few days so you all have fun at work! It's been raining some but who's afraid of just 318 wet curves in 11 miles? Will post pics later.

Guest IncompletePete
I had my Ducati for 5 years... didn't have one single problem with it that whole time.

Seems a lot of other Ducati owners agree with me that Ducati's reliability is fantastic.

I'm kinda relieved - it turns out that the clutch as an aftermarket dry clutch built by a third party so once sorted I may still buy it.... :rock: Fortunately it's an '03 bike, so dodges the woes experienced by owners of '90s bikes.

@Bluto: I would be jealous...well I am, but I've got 3-4 weeks after my exams riding through France, riding along the Cote d'Azur, heading up to the Italian lakes, down to Florence and then into Croatia before heading back across Europe and home :bohica:

The current Testaretta engines are basically as bulletproof as their Japanese equivalent, albeit with higher given maintenance costs.

The air-cooled 2V motors have always been stone-solid. Basically like the Honda XR version of a streetbike engine.

I have not owned one, but I've raced several, of the 848's and 1098's I've raced and raced against, not one has lasted. Tranny issues in the two 1098's, one lost every gear but 4th, and one just ripped the tranny to shreds. The 848s both suffered bent shift forks and clutch master cylinder problems. I love the bikes, but they are not up the Japanese quite yet...I do admit racing is harder on bikes than street riding, but my Honda and the Suzuki's of my other teammates have never suffered a mechanical, while we've yet to see a Duc last a season.

*the exception being the Air cooled 2v's. You're are right about those, they are AWESOME motors and I hate Ducati for axing the 1000DS supersport

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm glad to see there are so many riders on this forum. I just bought a bike yet I keep scaring myself by looking at websites with tons of pictures of crashes -- certainly makes me afraid of losing my UPT slot. But I still can't wait to take the course (30-31 May) and finally start riding. Hopefully as long as I'm safe, smart, and look out for "cagers" who are trying to kill me I'll come out ok!

Does anyone have any advice for cutting fairings to mount sliders on? I just got an 04 GS500F that's in beautiful shape and I want to keep it that way. However, an ugly cut would look almost as bad as a nasty drop IMO.

Also, for those of you who were mesh pants, do you just slip them over whatever you're wearing already (like shorts or jeans)? I'm debating between these and kevlar jeans.

-Nate

I should have been more specific in my question, but thank you for that (I laughed). I already have done a lot of searching and just purchased both frame sliders and handlebar sliders (through a store in the UK, which seems to be the only place that offers them for that bike). I'm just nervous to start cutting away at the fairing because it's not like anything I've done in the past. I was asking for technique tips I suppose.

If that still sounds retarded...I give up :beer:

Edited by Prefontaine

Guest IncompletePete

Cutting away at the frame?! I sure as hell hope you mean the fairing! Cutting away at the fairing is pretty common and not much fuss, although it will leave a whole in your plastics, that will be shielded by some nice crash bungs that'll save you from a set of scratched plastics if you ever drop the bike.

Guest boredwith9to5

I'm looking to trade up my 2002 V-Star 650 for something with a little more kick. All these hills in Maryland would be much easier with something bigger. I'm thinking about going with a sport bike though because my wife really wants one, so we'd each have a bike. We'd probably get the same model or at least something similar.. She's never rode before but is very competent and would pick up fast, so I wouldn't want to get her something small that she'll want to trade up after a few months.. At the same time, I've got about 1 year of experience and about 4000 miles on my V-Star, so I'd want something at least mid-range.. Not really after anything that can go 160mph... just not worth losing a shot at a commission. I'm looking to spend ~$7000 or less on each bike. Some of the ones I'm looking at are:

Honda CBR600RR

Yamaha FZ6R

Kawasaki Ninja 500R

Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Kawasaki ZZR 600

Suzuki SV650SF

Neither of us have sport bike experience, she's has no bike experience other than riding the sissy bar on my V-Star. Any suggestions?

Also, curious what your thoughts were about riding at OTS/IFS.. We only have 1 car and my motorcycle for transportation. I have to leave the car with my wife since we have a baby and she'll need it. Is it worth having a vehicle at OTS/IFS and if so, is it practical to have a motorcycle as your transportation?

Guest IncompletePete

If she doesn't have the riding experience, I'd suggest not getting her a sports bike. Even if she does learn quickly, there will be the innevitable early mistakes you do when you're new to biking that will be exacerbated on a more extreme bike, so from that list the SV650 would be sweet, plus whilst it's forgiving it's pretty damn competant too. So whilst she improves she won't leave the bike behind at all, at least until she becomes like Valentino Rossi anyway.

As for you, I'd get the CBR600rr - it's an awesome bike but is pretty damn focussed towards sports riding. Maybe check out the CBR600f - it's a compromise towards less sporty riding, yet remarkably only just slower than the RR version but will be a whole lot more practical as well.

<edit> Retarded typing

Edited by IncompletePete

and I thought your Repsol Honda has a tribute to Nicky Hayden!

Actually, it is a tribute to Mick Doohan...I would've preferred a Rothman's Honda, but I wasn't going to spend the cash to have one done up. Plus, I really do love the Repsol livery!

Rossi bailed to Yamaha, and Hayden to Ducati (although the former will probably be a lot more successful with his new team than the latter); but Doohan was the man and I first became a Repsol fan watching him dominate the 500cc class of MotoGP back in the mid-90s...

Honestly, I never liked the Kentucky Kid that much. I still rooted for him, especially during the Laguna Seca MotoGP races; but Kevin Schwantz has to be my all-time favorite American rider. What really made me a fan was his comments in the documentary Faster, the guy really has a passion to ride motorcycles!

Cheers! M2

As to what Incompletepete said, even that SV650 will feel like a rocket coming off a 650 vStar. Go get you some test rides, then decide. Also keep in mind that the 600rr has so much power that you won't be able to touch even the 75% ability of the bike on a street, well at least without being insanely stupid.